Sign in to follow this  
Guest nokia

WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2007

Guest nokia

http://www.ps3.net/newsboard/view.php?id=380

If you click it, you'll read the following

WWE Smackdown vs RAW 2007 cancelled for PS3

By Jason Bayer on Jul 23, 2006

Today, THQ announced that they have cancelled the Playstation 3 version of the next title in the hit wrestling series WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW. The 2007 version, which now is only under development for the Xbox 360, PS2, and PSP, will not grace the PS3 library, as the company wants to "concentrate resources on the other three platforms." THQ supposedly started their development on the PS3 version several months later than the other console versions, which may explain their decision: the game may not have been able to fit thei deadlines, or they may not have been able to adapt to the new hardware in time.

Thus far, THQ has only given this announcement through their German forums, and has yet to send an official press release. For now, the bad news reports just keep flowing in and getting worse for Sony and PS3.

Looks like Thq bit of more than they could chew this time...This has to be considered a HUGE blow to Thq...

- Glenn -

I don't know why this would be a huge blow to THQ. The PS2 version is the most important.

This is more of a shot at the PS3.

Sony's PlayStation 3 has been in the news a lot in the past year. First there were issues with its Blu-ray support and then there were the reports on the console’s delay and finally the fallout from the $499/$599 pricing structure. Well, it appears that that high price of entry is not only turning away potential buyers, but also developers.

Sony has received overwhelming support in the past two generations for its PlayStation consoles from 3rd-party developers, but that support may now be in question. From GameDaily BIZ:

In the PS3's native Japan, the reaction has been less than pleasant, with more than 90 percent of developers in a recent survey stating that the price of the console is just too high. And indeed it seems that this high price is affecting whether or not certain developers decide to develop for the PS3. Sony's PlayStation business has always been backed by incredibly strong third-party support, but now for the first time that could be in jeopardy.

Sony's loss comes to the benefit of its two chief rivals. BusinessWeek reports that developers are taking their business to the Wii and even Xbox 360 (which hasn't been an overwhelming success in Japan in its current or previous form). Gaming giant Electronic Arts has also been showing favoritism to the less expensive Wii when showcasing upcoming games. BusinessWeek goes on to say:

EA announced six Nintendo Wii launch titles and showed long working demos for two of those. But it offered only a short clip of a car-racing game for PS3. EA says it's still testing the potential of the PS3. "Many developers think the console's initial high price will lead to slow sales and are holding off on creating games for Sony," Hamamura says.

Sony has a lot of work to do this generation to keep its #1 crown. It may have been easy to bowl over the competition with the PlayStation and PlayStation 2, but it looks like the tides are changing. When you have a $200 higher price of entry than your next closest competitor that turns away customers, high licensing costs to offset the cost of development and Blu-ray drive technology that drives up the cost of the console without a 100% guarantee of wide-spread adoption, you know that you’re in for a bumpy ride.

DailyTech previously reported that according to IBM, yields on the Cell processors were extremely poor, and that most Cell processors would ship without all eight cores working. According to IBM, some PlayStation 3 units will have 7-core Cell processors and some with 8-core Cell processors.

I had seen that, but I thought it seemed overly biased and didn't bother posting it.

The animation and gameplay are still going to be subpar.

It's in no way a blow to THQ. PS3 won't be widespread for a while yet, why should they stretch their effort across four platforms including the PS3 when it's unfamiliar territory for developers and THQ isn't guaranteed a return. I'd rather have good versions across the familiar PSP, PS2 and 360 in which they can put in all their work, rather than prematurely add one that'll most assuredly hog their resources and affect all four games negatively.

This, of course, is assuming they can pull off a good game this year across the board. Honestly, it looks like more of the same, again, with the addition of 'crowd fighting' and other features that don't add much, with no fixes for any of the problems.

I agree with atomsk. Its not really a big deal and besides, if they were that far behind in production, they'll just release a flawed product to make a few bucks that will likely take a chunk of their "fanbase" away.

Not a bad move by THQ.

I don't see why this would be a issue for THQ at all. Unless things have changed, your able to play PS2 games on a PS3 system. So if you really want to play Smackdown vs Raw 2007 on your PS3 you can buy the PS2 verison of the game. The graphics won't be as great but you can still play the game. Besides I think the only thing that would be differant from the PS2 and PS3 verisons of the game would just be the graphics. THQ made a wise choice here.

I agree with atomsk. Its not really a big deal and besides, if they were that far behind in production, they'll just release a flawed product to make a few bucks that will likely take a chunk of their "fanbase" away.

They've been doing that for over 5 years and people keep buying the games. One step forward, two back, etc, etc. The more the games become more "realistic" (as in, more WWE-ish), the more of a monstrosity the gameplay becomes. The PS1 games were idiotic arcade affairs, but the current PS2 titles are a total crap stew, trying to be more of a simulation...but on WWE terms. Thus you have the broken beyond belief stat system, commentary that gets worse every year, story modes that hit peaks and deep valleys, less characters with more crappy wrestlers, dumb gimmick matches wasting space, and THEY STILL HAVE NOT FIXED THE CLIPPING! SvR had horribly, buggy, sloppy gameplay. 2K6 was even worse adding more sim elements which made for slow, dull matches that weren't even smooth, fluid, balanced and fun when stuff actually happened.

Online play should die if they can't even get offline play right. SvR's online was ok but hard to set up a match with someone specific.

2K6's? When after 40 minutes I could not get a match set up against a friend I wanted to face (buddy locator? It's NEVER EVER CORRECT and DS Wi-fi's Friends Codes beat it a million times over.) I threw in the towel and gave up. Each game seems to show bigger examples of incompetence.

Welcome back, Flik.

"So if you really want to play Smackdown vs Raw 2007 on your PS3 you can buy the PS2 verison of the game."

They could enhance it with the PS3 DualJerk controller, allowing you to shake it violently to make a hoss do a move sloppily and injure opponents.

Guest Princess Leena

For as bad as you guys say the SD series is, as currently only an XBox owner, I'd take them in a heartbeat.

Is there any word on a new Gamecube WWE game? I just got Day of Reckoning 2, which I love, since it's a new Player's Choice, but I haven't heard anything about a new one. I hope the Cube and Wii continue to be developed by this team, the engine isn't perfect but I like it better than Smackdown

DOR2 >>>>>>>>>>>> any other current gen wrestling game. They should really concentrate on making THAT series the main WWE series.

All I want is a return to the gameplay on the N64 versions with the grappling system, is that too hard to achieve? Also I'd like CAW slots and be able to edit wrestlers appearance, not just their movesets.

Any word on TNA's EA Sports game?

you know, I really love the DOR engine, because it's almost exactly the ol N64 AKI one. It really is.

And if it aint... then my memory has gone haywire and does not care :)

DOR2 >>>>>>>>>>>> any other current gen wrestling game.

Def Jam and a buttload of Japanese imports say hello.

That reminds me, can Def Jam be enjoyed by someone who positively hates gangsta rap but loves the AKI engine?

DOR2 >>>>>>>>>>>> any other current gen wrestling game.

Def Jam and a buttload of Japanese imports say hello.

That reminds me, can Def Jam be enjoyed by someone who positively hates gangsta rap but loves the AKI engine?

Yes. You have to be some kind of freak to not enjoy beating the tar out of your buddies in Def Jam. Great drunken party game.

Guest Overworked

I love the Smackdown line, but my favorites is the earlier types last being Here comes the pain All because the Create a Wrestler mode that had the wrestler garb of other wrestlers outside the WWE in it. After HCTP they advanced every other part of the game including Royal rumble and cage matches but the CAW completely dropped to basic and bland with no creative ability to make wrestlers :( I wish they would revert back to CAW quality

I love the Smackdown line, but my favorites is the earlier types last being Here comes the pain All because the Create a Wrestler mode that had the wrestler garb of other wrestlers outside the WWE in it. After HCTP they advanced every other part of the game including Royal rumble and cage matches but the CAW completely dropped to basic and bland with no creative ability to make wrestlers :( I wish they would revert back to CAW quality

I also miss how SvR 2006 didn't have "generic" theme music like HTCP so I couldn't give Regal a more royal sounding theme music other than that crappy southern tune music he has in the game. Then again, I used that theme music for my Arn Anderson/Tully Blanchard tag team.

I nearly choked on my breakfast. That's awesome.

By the way, to answer the Def Jam/don't like rap question, you can absolutely still enjoy the game. I don't know about the second Def Jam game, but the first one was fantastic.

The first game is very very good--essentially a more polished No Mercy with rappers standing in for WWE wrestlers. Minor gripes I have are that the 1 player "created" characters (as in, you pick from a few pre-made models and soup up their stats throughout the game) break the game and there's not a good create mode where you decide your move sets.

Plus the in-game characters aren't modeled on existing wrestlers move-wise, and cannot be edited.

The 2nd game is not a wrestling game as much as it is a fighter with a large emphasis on grappling. I hate it but some friends i know love it.

Stay away from the second Def Jam. The first one is fucking great though, and it's a perfect example of how the old style of wrestling games can work for the PS2 and on.

All I want is a return to the gameplay on the N64 versions with the grappling system, is that too hard to achieve? Also I'd like CAW slots and be able to edit wrestlers appearance, not just their movesets.

Any word on TNA's EA Sports game?

It doesn't exist. Midway is making the TNA game and I haven't heard a thing about it since they announced in November.

Last I hear about the tna game, Jarrett and Aj styles were doing motion captures and Aj Styles and Samoa Joe were signed on as consultants for the game to make it the best possible experience for wrestling fans or some jazz.

Last I hear about the tna game, Jarrett and Aj styles were doing motion captures and Aj Styles and Samoa Joe were signed on as consultants for the game to make it the best possible experience for wrestling fans or some jazz.

Anybody else get the image of Joe choking out a developer with the Kokina Clutch just so they get the effect of the move?