TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Golden Boy Promotions signed Juan Manuel Marquez. Hopefully he can get away from Nacho Beristain, because this guy should be in a much better position than he is now. He's a great fighter.

Also, James Toney fights Samuel Peter this Saturday on Showtime. It's an WBC eliminator, for a shot at the belt Maskaev currently is holding.

Liakhovich/Briggs vs. PBF/Baldomir

Inside sources are confirming that arrangements between the camps of WBO Heavyweight Champion Sergei “The White Wolf” Liakhovich and Shannon “Brooklyn” Briggs are finalized and the fight will take place on November 4. The event will be televised live on the Showtime Network. While the venue is still TBA, the source indicates it will be in the Tri-State area. Liakhovich vs. Briggs will run counter to the broadcast of the Floyd Mayweather vs. Carlos Baldomir WBC Welterweight Championship fight the same night on HBO Pay Per View.

-fightnews

If Calvin Brock lands a punch on Wlad like he did Lawerence, it's going to be lights out Klitschko.

The question I have thoigh is, have we truly seen Wlad HURT yet? He really has no balance at his height and it seems he gets knocked down most of the time because of his lack of balance, but I haven't really seen him that hurt by a punch. When Brewster KO'd Wlad, it looked more like he was gassed and so tired that he could barely make it back to the corner. Against Peter, he just looked like he was leaning all over the place and akwardly fell down. I don't think Wlad has a bad chin, more like bad posteur or something because the man falls down when a breeze blows by the ring.

I think Corrie Sanders hurt him....but I do get what your saying. On the other hand, Calvin Brock has shown a fair amount of durability thus far (against lesser opposition of course) which has always been Wlad's weak point.

Corrie Sanders and Ross Purrity rocked his world. It got so bad with Ross that his corner threw in the towel. Wladimir has heart, but he really lacks a chin.

Anyone who's a real boxing fan would rather watch Floyd Vs. Baldomir, instead of HW scrubs fighting it out.

Wladimir has heart, but he really lacks a chin.

Pretty much. Luckily for him, he seems to have gotten over being completely petrified once things start getting rough, so assuming he doesn't come in looking like he did against Williamson, he should be a solid favorite.

Of course, I'm still rooting for Brock.

You might want to watch the Purrity fight again (or for the first time, apparently)...that was the first example of Wlad being taken far into a fight, being punched out, and exhausted. The same thing happened to Joe Hipp in a fight with Purrity. Purrity was a decent journeyman heavyweight with a great physique and a chin like Ray Mercer's...but not too much in terms of punching power.

Sergei-Briggs will probably be an entertaining scrap, and wont be priced at $49.95...but still inferior to the Baldo-PBF clash.

You might want to watch the Purrity fight again (or for the first time, apparently)...that was the first example of Wlad being taken far into a fight, being punched out, and exhausted. The same thing happened to Joe Hipp in a fight with Purrity. Purrity was a decent journeyman heavyweight with a great physique and a chin like Ray Mercer's...but not too much in terms of punching power.

Sergei-Briggs will probably be an entertaining scrap, and wont be priced at $49.95...but still inferior to the Baldo-PBF clash.

I own and seen it many times. Ross rocked Wlady a few times very badly. Clearly you don't know too much about Ross Purrity because 27 out of 30 wins of his came from KO. Yes Klitschko punched himself out and was very tired but being tired doesn't effect your chin. I've seen David Tua huff and puff like he climbed a mountain but I've never seen him seriously hurt.

WOW.

Typical post from a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about. Ross has a pretty big punch, but the problem is he's a horrible boxer. If you say Wladimir wasn't rocked at all in that fight, I really question your boxing knowledge.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Tua certainly has a great chin, but Lewis beat him senseless. There's ways to be hurt that don't involve one big bomb.

It affects your ability to take a punch...but it doesn't actually physically weaken the jaw.

I'm glad other people are posting here now...I had to finally ignore ehme after he couldn't just say he had not sen the Wlad-Purity fight. That was weird.

"It affects your ability to take a punch...but it doesn't actually physically weaken the jaw."

Exactly.

I agree about Wlad and the chin as I too have never seen him look like he was really hurt, I don't recall the Corrie Sanders fight that well but that one also struck me as him just being overwhelmed and having no clue how to stay balanced. Though Corrie could be a heavy hitter when he wanted to be and I don't doubt his punches hurt. :D

I don't think Corrie Sanders 'hurt' Wlad in the same way that, say, Trinidad 'hurt' David Reid or Vargas...but he probably came closest to really damaging him with power punches instread of just letting Wlad punch himself out like against Purity and Brewster. If the Sam Peter fight (and Byrd 2 to a lesser extent) was any indication, Manny seems to really have helped Wlad out with this, his far greatest problem in the ring.

I still say that Manny is wrong and that Wlad should've fought Briggs instead of Brock...but he can certainly prove me wrong.

Being Tired and Gassed DOESN'T Effect your chin? WTF?

I've seen PENTLY of fighters gas and have it not effect their chins. Go watch fights with Ray Mercer, George Chuvalo, Jake LaMotta, Oliver McCall, David Tua etc. Where they have gassed big time, but no matter what the guy is dishing at them they still wont go down.

Tua certainly has a great chin, but Lewis beat him senseless. There's ways to be hurt that don't involve one big bomb.

Irrelevent to my point. Lewis beat him lopsided yes, but even then when Tua was gassed as fuck, Lewis couldn't finish him off. Watch the last 2 rounds of the Ike Ibeabuchi/David Tua fight, when Ike was nailing Tua with some GREAT shots that Tua wouldn't go down from, and Tua was tired.

I'm glad other people are posting here now...I had to finally ignore ehme after he couldn't just say he had not sen the Wlad-Purity fight. That was weird

I could care less what some hick from Milwaukee thinks. I have over 250 Boxing tapes with various fights. You problay have never even stepped in the ring in your life. You think your so smart, but I sense you have a really low self-esteam and no friends. I'm getting sick of your flamebait, your opinion isn't always the same as others. Dickhead.

Guest JustPassinBy

The two next big stars in boxing are Allan Green and Joel Julio (even though Julio just lost his first fight).

The two next big stars in boxing are Allan Green and Joel Julio (even though Julio just lost his first fight).

I don't know about Allen Green. Rumors have it then Green will fight Lucien Bute in December, I really think Bute can KO Green.

"I don't think Corrie Sanders 'hurt' Wlad in the same way that, say, Trinidad 'hurt' David Reid or Vargas...but he probably came closest to really damaging him with power punches instread of just letting Wlad punch himself out like against Purity and Brewster. "

No doubt.

"I still say that Manny is wrong and that Wlad should've fought Briggs instead of Brock...but he can certainly prove me wrong."

I could be wrong but I honestly don't think Brock is going to be anything but target practice. Briggs would probably be target practice as well but he can at least swing back and pose a threat. Speaking as a fan, I would prefer to see Briggs/Vlad.

I believe Peter will knock Toney out or it will go to the cards(and who knows what will happen than? :D .)

Last FNF of 2006 is tonight...two good fights, worth watching:

Allan Green(21-0) vs. Emmett Linton(33-4-2)

Emmanuel Augustus(33-27-6) vs. Courtney Burton(21-5) in a rematch of a very controversially decided first fight.

I think with Wlad vs. Corrie Sanders, it was also a case of Wlad coming out of the lockerroom cold, like he had been laying around for an hour prior to the fight, rather then warming up, shadow boxing and the other stuff fighters do in the pre-fight prep. His body was dry as hell, and the announcers eluded to it before the opening bell even sounded.

His corner had as much to be ashamed about in that fight.

The, Brewster fight, now THAT was a case of being gassed and tired, rather then being hurt. When the bell sounded to end the round, he got up and was huffing and puffing so hard, and then he collapsed, but it was not because he was hurt, not equilibrium problems either, he was just dog tired. Brewster had an effective gameplan, well sort of....survive a vicious beatdown for five rounds and hope he is still standing to knock down a tired Wlad.

This is what was said at the confrence...

Peter: "You are American and you can't even talk."

Toney: "You are a slave."

Peter: "You are a slave already."

Toney: "You have got a little Russian behind you, and I am going to kick your (behinds)."

Peter: "You are a slave already. I am from Africa."

Toney "Yeah, you are from Africa."

Peter: "You don't even know where you are from. I'm from Nigeria."

Toney: "You are from Nigeria? I'm going to send your (behind) back on a banana boat, punk."

Peter: "Where are you from? You are a black man, you come from Africa and you call me a slave? You look like a slave."

Toney: "I come from my momma. You ain't even got a momma."

Peter: "Yeah, yeah, yeah. We don't talk about mommas now. Learn to respect your mom. Talk about ourselves. Talk about yourself. Don't talk about you momma."

Toney finished with a reference that can't be printed here.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/box/4144826.html

I still don't buy the theory of a "great chin". I think great defensive technique can allow you to get blasted but it not hit you in the right place, thus you stay up. Hit anyone in the right spots and they are going down.

The differece between the guys who's "chin" seems to weaken when they are gassed is because they stop tucking their chin, get sloppy and leave openings that weren't there in the first place. guys like Tua, he gets gassed, but if you really watch him, he still doesn't forget how to get hit.

I could be very wrong, but I just don't buy the "you can't knock him down cause he has a iron chin" people. I just don't.

For all the talk of Wladimir's weak chin being overstated, does anyone really doubt the likeliness of him tumbling down the next time he gets caught by someone with legit power, or will having Emmanual in his corner magically keep him on his feet?

I still don't buy the theory of a "great chin". I think great defensive technique can allow you to get blasted but it not hit you in the right place, thus you stay up. Hit anyone in the right spots and they are going down.

The differece between the guys who's "chin" seems to weaken when they are gassed is because they stop tucking their chin, get sloppy and leave openings that weren't there in the first place. guys like Tua, he gets gassed, but if you really watch him, he still doesn't forget how to get hit.

I could be very wrong, but I just don't buy the "you can't knock him down cause he has a iron chin" people. I just don't.

Being a boxer myself, there is such thing as having a great chin and having a weak chin. My trainer always taught me if you want to make your chin stronger, to put a whole pack of gum in your mouth and chew it.

Jack Dempsey use to chew pine gum straight from trees to strengthen his chin, and he would bath himself in beef brine to toughen his skin so he wouldn't bleed.

Check out George Chuvalo... Foreman, Ali, Frazier all of them landed clean flush shots on Chuvalo's chin but never once knocked him down.