TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cd213

Iron Maiden

I guess I'm a late bloomer since I didn't get into Maiden until I was 18. I had Number of The Beast when I was 16 but didn't care for it much, but when I first started college, I really started getting into them and now they're one of my favorite bands.

I was into metal of all forms when I was 14 or 15. Just starting to really get attached to my personal fave, which is looking to actually be thrash (bought two comps of nothing but TRUE thrash bands, ie. fast-as-balls hardcore, one of British bands and the other of Japanese bands) and death metal with a big ol' heavy-ass thrash influence (think Black Dahlia and Darkest Hour, though they're more thrash with a big ol' death metal influence).

Dio can be a legend all he wants. That still doesn't stop him from being utterly fagtastic. He holds the record as the only live performer to ever - EVER - put me to sleep. Saw Maiden a couple of years ago with Dio and Motörhead opening for 'em right after Dance of Death came out. I hung onto every note for Motörhead, listened to the first Dio song or two and then...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. The friends I went with had to wake me up for Maiden.

Something about him being, ya know, a fucking scabber for Ozzy irks me too. I don't mind "Rainbow in the Dark," but c'mon...HE'S A FUCKING ELF. To say he's a better vocalist than Dickinson is to say that Clay Aiken has a better voice than Danzig: it just isn't true.

He would snap Simon Cowell like dry kindling if Simon even looked at him wrong, much less have the balls to insult him or his singing. Glenn is not someone I would fuck with on a bet.

Dio is a little different as a vocalist than Bruce. Neither one is better than the other. Vivian Campbell's guitar work is just as much of a signature for Dio as was Dio's voice. Comparing Bruce and Dio is like comparing say, Bruce and Geoff Tate or James from Dream Theater. Similar, but not the same. And they're all good.

It comes from my undying hatred of the feminization of man. Sure, there's nothing wrong with a guy being sensitive from time to time, or even being in touch with his emotions and feelings, but when men start acting like pussies and looking like women? That's where I draw the fucking line. It's time to remind people that the word "masculinity" has connotations of strength, character, and honor, and to remind men that they have a cock and balls instead of a bleeding orifice between their legs.

...that and I fucking hate high-pitch voiced singers. You know that.

He would snap Simon Cowell like dry kindling if Simon even looked at him wrong, much less have the balls to insult him or his singing. Glenn is not someone I would fuck with on a bet.

Someone should mentioned that Danzig got knocked out hardcore.

Difference being: the guy from North Side Kings is actually BIGGER than Danzig. Taller, wider, more physically imposing, etc. That, and Danzig probably doubted the guy would punch him (though I will never say it was a suckerpunch, since Danzig shoved the guy to start it, and the guy retaliated with a motherFUCKer of a right hook).

I recall even the North Side Kings guy saying something to the effect that all bullshit aside, he felt lucky that he caught Danzig good enough to put him down with the first punch before he could mount a real attack.

Oh, I have little doubt that Danzig could raise some shit with anybody. Though I'll hold onto my belief that Evan Seinfeld would knock him the fuck out too...and Varg would just stab him.

Henry Rollins vs. Danzig would be ***1/2 at the very least.

Corey, I'm surprised that Dickinson's voice doesn't bother you, being as high as it often is.

There's a lot of low-end to it as well. I don't mind a singer who goes high when there's a nice low-end. For some reason, Dickinson's voice just reeks of beauty to me, possibly because it can be differentiated from most other metal vocalists so easily.

Oh, I have little doubt that Danzig could raise some shit with anybody. Though I'll hold onto my belief that Evan Seinfeld would knock him the fuck out too...and Varg would just stab him.

I dunno, I'm convinced there's nothing more to this guy but tattoos and a skanky wife...

It comes from my undying hatred of the feminization of man. Sure, there's nothing wrong with a guy being sensitive from time to time, or even being in touch with his emotions and feelings, but when men start acting like pussies and looking like women? That's where I draw the fucking line. It's time to remind people that the word "masculinity" has connotations of strength, character, and honor, and to remind men that they have a cock and balls instead of a bleeding orifice between their legs.

Well, I wasn't so much aiming for a sociological discussion on the decay of the American male, I was just thinking back to numerous conversations about how you characterize particular metal as gay/fag-shit/whatever and eschew it because you feel it compromises your image as a badass metalhead. While I'm not totally going to fault you for that, having dealt with that phase in my own life, it's still unsettling nonetheless, especially since you're two steps away from coming off like a hardcore nu-metalhead

"Evan Seinfeld would knock him the fuck out too"

I don't doubt he's tough but I recall Bach getting the better of him in their brief run in on that VH1 show not too long ago. Not very telling though.

"Dickinson's voice just reeks of beauty to me, possibly because it can be differentiated from most other metal vocalists so easily."

I could be mistaken but unlike a great deal of high male vocalist in rock or metal, I don't believe Bruce is singing in a forced falsetto at all when he hits the super high notes, it sounds like a very strong head voice. That's probably why he gets so many compliments from opera singers as they don't use falsetto either. This is what seperates him from guys like say King Diamond, as their voices tend sound "woopy" and weak when they try to go that high.

Well, I wasn't so much aiming for a sociological discussion on the decay of the American male, I was just thinking back to numerous conversations about how you characterize particular metal as gay/fag-shit/whatever and eschew it because you feel it compromises your image as a badass metalhead. While I'm not totally going to fault you for that, having dealt with that phase in my own life, it's still unsettling nonetheless, especially since you're two steps away from coming off like a hardcore nu-metalhead

If anything compromises my image as a "badass metalhead" it's my love for cheap 80's pop and mid-90's dance/trance/house/whatever the fuck you wanna call it. In between Kataklysm, Nile, SOD, and Susperia, I don't mind listening to Republica, Tears For Fears, some Depeche Mode, and Michael Jackson (though, to be fair, if anybody can't realize the pop genius of MJ in the 80's, they have some serious fucking blinders on). It's just my belief that what most bands that I could classify as "faggy" or "gay" in the family of metal lack that all-important element known as "heavy." If I hear a metal band that lacks the "heaviness" I look for in the genre, then, to me, it's pretty fucking queer. If the founding fathers of the Bay Area scene in the early 80's heard the majority of the power metal and fashioncore today, I have little-to-no doubt that they'd say the same thing. After all, it was Dave Mustaine himself that has been quoted as saying that the "glam" in "glam rock" stands for Gay LA Music.

So yeah. If it's not heavy, then, to me, it's completely ignoring a basic part of the style itself. Metal was meant to be rebellious from the get-go with Iommi and Butler using those three chords that were banned in medieval times from being played next to each other for fear of summoning the Devil. For me to enjoy metal fully, there needs to be a sense of unease to it, a sense of danger. I find that most of the metal you would figure I could classify as "gay" and "faggy" lacks that element, which I feel is 100% essential.

Maybe most of this makes no sense because I'm fucking tired, but I hope that sheds some sort of a light on my opinion. I don't mind overly melodic metal, but I feel as though it has more in common with Poison than it does Venom which is why I usually dislike it.

LaBrie does kind of suck.

Geoff Tate can hit high notes but he doesn't sound anything like LaBrie. LaBrie just has the wrong mix of vocal quality, enunciation, crappy lyrics, etc.

Seriously DT has some of the most awful lyrics ever, especially Metropolis Part 2 which is just painful to listen to. Even more so in that the music is good if you can get back the horrible made-for-tv-movie "plot."

Geoff Tate could match Bruce note for note back in his heyday. I don;t know about now, because I passed on the opportunity to see the Operation Mindcrime II tour when it came to Detroit, and I haven't had all that much interest in Queensryche anyway after Empire. It seems to me that they tried too hard to get away from the commerical success Empire got them, and they faded into semi-obscurity because of it.

That, and Operation Mindcrime II came out about ten years too late. Fans were clamoring for it after Empire, but they went another way. Chris DeGarmo leaving the band the first time hurt them, too.

James LaBrie doesn't bother me so much, though I have to agree that he is the worst part of Dream Theater. But when you have fucking amazing musicians like John Petrucci, John Myung, Mike Portnoy and Jordan Rudess, you would have to be godlike just to match them, and James isn't.

FUCK! COCK SHIT CUNT MOTHERFUCKER TAMPON BARBRA STREISAND DOUCHE QUEEFBAG!!!!!

...Maiden is sold out in Boston...or, at the very least, I can't find any tickets. Fuckin' hell...

Bruce's voice seems to be straining in parts of 'AMOLAD'. One thing I noticed about the album is that the music itself seems to require Bruce to hit more high notes than usual. Brave New World was good because the music seemed to compliment his voice, hitting the high's only when he had to.

Having listened recently to Brave New World, it just DOES rock better than Dance of Death or AMOLAD. The music is better, Bruce sounds better and the lyrics fit in with most of the music.

The one weakness Steve Harris has is when he tries to incorporate his pre-written lyrics into his songs. It sounds all over the places and at times out of the rythm.

FUCK! COCK SHIT CUNT MOTHERFUCKER TAMPON BARBRA STREISAND DOUCHE QUEEFBAG!!!!!

...Maiden is sold out in Boston...or, at the very least, I can't find any tickets. Fuckin' hell...

I'm seeing them in NY on the 12th. :D

Explain to me what that means. Really, do it. Because most of the kids I know that loved nu-metal when I was just getting into the thrash and death are popping wood for power metal right now.

Because of your temper and your tendency to "ARGH! I'M SO ANGRY!" at fairly mild provocation

I'm not totally serious with the nu-metal label though, I just figured I'd call you that to see if it turned you into a Music Folder Dama