TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LivingLegendGaryColeman

Anyone who wants to catch up on Ultimate X-men

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so I figured I would give it a post.

I went to Best Buy the other day and as I was looking around I noticed a DVD with a cover of Ultimate X-men on it. As I looked closer, they had a CD-rom with all the Ultimate X-men up to somewhere in the 70 issue range on CD-Rom and it was marked 9.99. As I looked closer, they had a sign. You could buy it for 9.99 or, if you put a $5 on X3 (which comes out on 10/03), you get the CD-Rom for free.

Haven't had a chance to look at it, but to get almost the whole run to date didn't seem bad.

There's an Uncanny X-Men cd-rom as well, and I've seen it for 40 bucks at a few different places.

I work at Best Buy, so I was all over that Ultimate X-Men cd, and I've been pimping it to everyone I know.

I got this, as I needed early issues after #12 but before #40.

Thoughts:

First 12 issues, Magneto/Sentinels/Brotherhood/Weapon X are just excellent.

Proteus "World Tour" storyline is "okay".

"Hellfire & Brimstone" - the subplots (Beast) are good, but the Hellfire Club/Phoenix storyline is AWFUL.

I felt the first 12 issues (Or at least, the Magneto plotline) felt like they could have stretched it out and developed it a little longer. I would have liked to see more of a potential

Cyclops/Scarlet Witch and Scott's switch

and such. It just seems like that could have paid off bigger as a longer plotline, but oh well.

So I recently caught up on all of Ultimate X-Men and I have to say that it's kind of a wierd series quality wise. There's times it's really good and draws you in, but then there's arcs (or parts of arcs) that just suck. Like most of the stuff with Magneto is really good, the Weapon-X stuff is ok, and then the Proteus arc was just horrible (and dear god did the art suck during that one). It can probably be attrbuted to the creative team constantly changing.

It really stands out when you compare it to the other Ulitmate regular series. Ultimate Spider-Man has been pretty consistant, as can be expected from a title with the same writer and artist for all 100 isssues, and in my opinion The Ultimates and Ultimate Fantastic 4 have always kicked major ass (though the current UFF run hasn't impressed so far).

Ultimate X-Men is just so inconsistant, and it's not just the quality, the characterization changes in wierd ways too. Oh and it seems that every other creative team has to do the whole 'Wolverine goes rogue and leves to find himself' so you have Wolverine ditching the team ever 10 issues.

I think there's been a lot of good ideas, but if they'd stuck with creative teams for more than just an arc or two it could be a really good book.

Oh yeah, and I forgot about the part where Jean goes from 16 to 17 to 19 in the space of the first 4 issues.

While we're on the subject I'm up to 2002( Started with 1973) on the "40 Years of X-Men" and man did it just get tedious and boring about the end of 1995 until 2001 when we go from multi-colored X-Men costumes to the movie inspired all black style. The thing thast made all those issues so damn hard to read were the lack of explanation needed from the "X-Men" series and all the other X-Titles that they crossed with..having not read comics for over a decade this is quite amazing to see wre the X-Men have gone..damn they've added memebers and then lost them with little or no explanation..but I'm at issue 411 and I have enjoyed the last 20 or so issues..I'm just glad that they're not blasting off into space every other issue and the threats are not world threatening needing help from from 50 different mutants...

So I recently caught up on all of Ultimate X-Men and I have to say that it's kind of a wierd series quality wise. There's times it's really good and draws you in, but then there's arcs (or parts of arcs) that just suck. Like most of the stuff with Magneto is really good, the Weapon-X stuff is ok, and then the Proteus arc was just horrible (and dear god did the art suck during that one).

I agree with this. Most of the Magneto stuff is just great, while things like Hellfire, Proteus, and Magical (Never really got into it. Waaaay too rushed) were sub-par. But, quite easily, the worst art in the entire Ultimate X-Men was the Ultimate War crossover. Dear GOD that was almost unreadable. Completely ruined what could have been a good arc.

It can probably be attrbuted to the creative team constantly changing.

It really stands out when you compare it to the other Ulitmate regular series. Ultimate Spider-Man has been pretty consistant, as can be expected from a title with the same writer and artist for all 100 isssues, and in my opinion The Ultimates and Ultimate Fantastic 4 have always kicked major ass (though the current UFF run hasn't impressed so far).

FINALLY! Someone else who likes UFF.

Ultimate X-Men is just so inconsistant, and it's not just the quality, the characterization changes in wierd ways too. Oh and it seems that every other creative team has to do the whole 'Wolverine goes rogue and leves to find himself' so you have Wolverine ditching the team ever 10 issues.

I think there's been a lot of good ideas, but if they'd stuck with creative teams for more than just an arc or two it could be a really good book.

This is very true. I think the X-Men are at their strongest (Storywise) when you are able to see their vast differences in world-view and personality.

Oh yeah, and I forgot about the part where Jean goes from 16 to 17 to 19 in the space of the first 4 issues.

What continuity doesn't Jean Grey fuck up? Seriously, I'm waiting for her to be retconned as a homeless Indonesian girl and her previous incarnations were simply "Psychic Interdimensional Skrull Replacements".