TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

A bit before my time. I think I was rocking only a gameboy then, as that was all I could afford.

I would *LOVE* any and all info on the sports game, but as far as I know, its just not out there.

Like I told my friend: if its just a shitty batting demo game, and a tennis swinging game, fuck it. If there is an actual baseball game, an actual tennis game, an actual bowling game, well, alright then.

Just because its got a new control scheme doesn't mean we need to have a bunch of generic everything. I'm not demanding a million different and licensed baseball teams by any means, but a little variety would definitely be nice.

I'm almost 100% for sure that Wii Sports is just to show off the features, and to show people what the Wii is able to do for the future. I know for sure that the tennis part of the game is a mini version of tennis, not a full game. I don't really watch the sport so I don't know the exact terms used, but they did recently say in interviews what it was, and it's not a full game. You also only control the swinging, you don't move the player yourself. From what I've seen, baseball is just pitching and batting, nothing else.

It's a game set up to get people excited about the Wii system overall. To show people what games on the system could be all about, that's all.

If you ask me, the pack should have been set at $199.99 with Wii Sports, since it just looks like a demo to me, like the demo discs and stuff we've seen that came with systems in the past.

Guest Princess Leena

Sports game just sounds like nothing games then. Boo.

That with the controllers being so expensive, this is starting to add up very quickly. :( Wii + Extra Controller + Memory Card I'll suppose you'll need = over $350 with tax. :(

So, I wonder if the virtual console games are playable permanently once you purchase them the first time? Or if you have to pay for every time you start them up..

http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1556591

Wired had the opportunity to sit down after with Nintendo Vice-President of Marketing & Corporate Affairs—not to mention affable conference host—Perrin Kaplan to ask a few questions that weren't addressed in the press conference.

• Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted.

• Will games downloaded from the Virtual Console store be tied to an account like Xbox Live or a one-time-only download like iTunes? Tied to an account. Kaplan discussed a scenario where a player's Wii was broken or destroyed, but would be able to re-download titles they had previously bought to a new Wii machine. Because my left leg was burning from an accidental Zippo oil spill, I neglected to ask if a user would be able to log into friends' Wiis and play their Virtual Console downloads away from their home machine.

• Will Wii users be able to add storage via USB hard drives? No. The Wii's storage will be exclusively via flash memory storage, such as SD memory cards, at least at launch. Kaplan said a hard drive addition could be in the future, but that sounds more like a "Sure, why not?" response than one based in any immediate plans.

• How much will Opera cost? Unknown. No price has yet been set for the download-able Opera web browser, but it sounds like it could very well be free, once Nintendo finishes discussions with Opera.

The big news from the press conference, besides the price—$250 for the console with one controller and Wii Sports bundled, $40 for additional Wii Remotes and $20 for additional Wii Nunchucks—was the showing of "Wii Channels," an instant-on interface where Wii players will be able to create "Mii" (me) personal avatars that work in supported games; a Wii Shop where Virtual Console games can be purchased for "Wii Points"; and photo, movie, and web browsing.

It's a slick little interface, but I continue to question whether users will want to sit in front of a television browsing the web without a keyboard, especially at non-HDTV resolutions. I guess we'll see when the Wii launches in the Americas on November 19th.

http://blog.wired.com/games/index.blog?entry_id=1556591

Wired had the opportunity to sit down after with Nintendo Vice-President of Marketing & Corporate Affairs—not to mention affable conference host—Perrin Kaplan to ask a few questions that weren't addressed in the press conference.

• Will the Wii be region-free? Yes. Like the Nintendo DS, the Wii will be able to play games from other regions, such as Japan, without any restriction. Kaplan implied there might be a region lock that publishers would be able to flip on, but it doesn't sound like the first-party titles from Nintendo will be restricted.

• Will games downloaded from the Virtual Console store be tied to an account like Xbox Live or a one-time-only download like iTunes? Tied to an account. Kaplan discussed a scenario where a player's Wii was broken or destroyed, but would be able to re-download titles they had previously bought to a new Wii machine. Because my left leg was burning from an accidental Zippo oil spill, I neglected to ask if a user would be able to log into friends' Wiis and play their Virtual Console downloads away from their home machine.

Thumbs-up on both bullets... :D

Whoo! Confirmed region-free!

That's great news. Even if publishers decide to include regions in their titles, I guarantee someone will find a way around it and distribute said way within a matter of weeks.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

So, it's the Wii console, Wii Sports, an extra Wii remote, an extra Nunchuk controller, a memory card, and an extra game for under $400 total? Not bad. I was expecting between $300 - $400 for all the extra shit, anyways.

Guest Princess Leena

That would be over $400 with tax.

The remote and nunchuk are $60 by themselves.

Wii & Wii Sports - $250.

Remote & Nunchuk - $60.

Extra game - $50/$60.

How much are the memory cards?

ebgames.com has one listed at $40.

With tax and shit then, it should be about $430 total. Eh, more than I was expecting but nothing too crazy. Then there's people who won't get an extra game, which puts their price down to $370, with the accessories.

I wouldn't add up any costs of anything yet until the prices are offically annouced. Normally game stores estimate how much something will cost and put that in their computers so people can pre-order something.

Besides $40 bucks for a memory card? Wow, if thats true when did Nintendo become like Sony with over-pricing their stuff?

Well, I just read that the Wii is coming out on November 19, two days after my birthday.

I KNOW WHAT I WANT FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! :D

Well, I just read that the Wii is coming out on November 19, two days after my birthday.

I KNOW WHAT I WANT FOR MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! :D

Hey Scroby, do you know what you want for your birthday?

Are you going to buy me a present?

Nintendo's pricing is ridiculous. 250 for old hardware and 10 for downloading a N64 game? Give me a break. They're always doing this, going for maximum profit.