TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ragingfear79

Wii

According to the usual blogspects (and GoNintendo), Wii preorders are a go for this Friday in the US.

Early reports indicate a $50 minimum.

Stores open their "normal times."

I received a similar email - it's Monday the 16th for us here @ EB's in Canada-land. ;)

They took extra care to bold "extremely limited supply" and the "doesn't mean you'll get one on launch day" wording. Either way, I hate standing in bullshit lineups with gamers so I'm probably just preordering online with Best Buy or Futureshop.

I've been trying to call my local EB all day to see when they open tomorrow, but I've gotten nothing but a busy signal.

Good sign for Nintendo, bad sign for me. I wonder if they'll give special consideration to those who have pre-ordered Wii games already.

Edit: That would be a no. I finally got through to EB and found out that they open at 10, but since I wouldn't be able to get down there that early, the person I spoke to told me in so many words that I wouldn't be able to get a pre-order.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Reports say EB/GameStop won't be getting that much more Wiis than they did PS3s. Like maybe 2-5 more Wiis, than PS3s. Places like Walmart, Best Buy, TRU, etc. seem to be getting a lot more.

How is it that EB and Gamestop are getting limited numbers when Nintendo has been advertising that the U.S. will get a hell of a lot so there won't be any shortage for the holiday season? I think Gamestop/EB is bullshitting about that.

EB/Gamestops open at normal hours. Stop calling, geez.

I'm a tad worried, because it figure reserves would *have* to happen on a day I'm working. I've got a friend who is going to reserve it for me, but he's not exactly the kind I can count on to be up and in front of EB Games at 10 AM.

However, unlike PS3 there's going to be a pretty good supply, and reserves aren't going to be done almost exclusively by people looking to hock the system on Ebay.

However, I *will* have a Wii on launch day. There's no damn way I'm going to be looking at a Twilight Princess disc with no system to play it on. I will ditch work if necessary.

Hey, EB's opening time wasn't clearly posted anyplace that I could find, hence the phone call.

In any case, I opted to place a pre-order with my local independent game store instead. The guy I talked to said they ordered fifty, but how many they'll actually get is anyone's guess. They're not even requiring deposits, which is pretty damn cool.

Wow, I know I've said it before - I love the idea of the Wii because it brings a while new schematic to the words "gameplay" or "control" ..but I just found myself looking not for videos of the new DBZ games footage.. but footage of people playing it just to see how it's done.

Like I said: totally psyched for this sys. ;)

I went ahead and pre-ordered Twilight Princess and Red Steel at Family Video. Go to the site and use the coupon code NEWMEM96 for $5 off. You can get some pretty good deals on a lot of Wii games (the following are shipped prices):

-Call of Duty 3 = $39.98

-Excite Truck = $39.49

-Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess = $40.98

-Nickelodeon Barnyard = $15.98

-Rampage: Total Destruction = $23.63

-Rapala Trophies = $34.45

-Red Steel = $38.96

-Shrek: Smash and Crash = $34.45

Sure, I more than likely wont have them on launch day, or maybe a number of days after launch, but I'll have Wii Sports to play to get me used to the Wii controls.

Hey, EB's opening time wasn't clearly posted anyplace that I could find, hence the phone call.

I mistakenly thought I posted the link to the site, but I didn't. Basically, the EB/GS folks got a letter saying to open at normal times.

The jury seems to be deliberating on Red Steel; it isn't utter crap anymore, it seems, but I'm not sure it'll be the home run the system could *really* use.

Nintendo isn't about 3rd party support and will never be about that the fans only want Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon brand games. Leave the FPS war games to Xbox.

Funny how DS has no (released) Zelda games, has only just now gotten a "real" Pokemon game, and didn't get Metroid Hunters until early this year.

Although Wii will apparently have one of each within the first 6 mo. of release.

Funny how one of the main pitches for the hardware is ease of development for 3rd parties.

Plenty of Mario tho (one of which has sold metric assloads).

Funny how XBox 360 still doesn't have a real Halo game and won't have it until at least next year. Lots of space marines in games, though.

The mall opens at 10:00 tommorrow. I'll be at either Gamestop or EB tommorrow morning around 7:30 or so just to be safe. I'm going to preorder Zelda, Red Steel, and Call of Duty, I guess.

I ended up going to my Gamestop around 8:30 and found myself as the ninth person in line. They had 30 to give away. I reserved my system, memory card, and Zelda. I'll be counting down the days until launch day.

So pretty much all the local stores around have STOPPED taking Wii pre-orders. The old Gamecrazy where I worked at apprently has all of a sudden just stopped taking pre-orders for them. I'm about to head over to the one in another town and just pre-order or wish list it there before it's to late. This whole "we're getting a limited amount of Wii's" is such a bullshit deal.

Quick Edit: Its good to still have friends working at other Gamecrazy's. I just make a phone call and WHAM I'm on a wishlist for one.

I had a friend go up to my EB at 8 AM (my EB opens at 10...), and when he arrived there was a line of 40+ people. There were only 30 Wii reserves available. Do the math.

I'm going to have to freakin' camp out for the Wii now. Damnit!!!

This is not a big town either--unfreakin'believable.

I have no Gamecrazies or other close Gamestops, so I best go shopping for some new gloves soon.

I just got lucky and called one more Gamecrazy out a few towns over to see if they were still taking pre-orders and it turns out they haven't taken any yet. What they're going to do is that everyone who pre-orders a Wii game with them will get a phone call being told when they can come and put a pre-order down for a Wii. I think I'm going to head over tonight and pre-order a zelda with them and cancel the one at my old store. I'm so pist off at my old store right now, its not even funny.

So I have some news!!!! Gamecrazy has offically not taken pre-orders yet. The Wii system is still not in their computer system yet, but since Gamestop and EB has started, the Wii will be in Gamecrazy's computer system soon, so check with gamecrazy's!

Guest Smues

Whether I can get it on release day or have to wait, I'm getting my Wii at Walmart because I have a rather large gift card to use there.

So, Future Shop's website here in Canada has a section for Wii pre-orders that I've been tracking for quite sometime now. I decided yesterday I would just e-mail them and ask when they were actually going to open the section - their response was they were not going to and I would have to go to the store on the launch date. Why Future Shop? Because I enjoy driving myself into credit debt with my Future Shop credit card. I'm thinking of giving it a try - it happens to be on th esame street as its parent US company Best Buy and across from a mall with a Zellers and EB Games, so there should be a good saturation of Wiis in the area.

BTW, like to correct something about that EB Games thing. Maybe its only Canada, but that $50 deposit is TRADE INS. It is NOT for cash value. If you wish to pay in cash, you need to pay $200. Trade in gets you $50. And EB Games is only doing 15 per store pre-orders.

Again, I say maybe this is only Canada, but considering whatever one does, the other does concerning large retail stores, I'll take it as both countries doing it.