TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

The Things That Anger You Thread.

If I didn't know any better (and I guess I don't) I'd say these commercials are supposed to act as reverse psychology and increase cigarette sales. "Duper Super"? Really?

The unexpectedly intelligent play a girl I like showed me.

Girl I like tells me many moons ago that when she doesn't want to talk to someone any more, she doesn't have the heart to block them on AIM, she just makes a new AIM screenname and doesn't tell them what it is. I consider this a retarded, overly convoluted, cowardly move as opposed to just hitting block, deleting their name & getting on with your life. (Then again I still have the same AIM name I had when I was in middle school, so.)

Today it occurs to me that since this girl received the overly expensive present I got her for Christmas, she hasn't been on AIM. It also occurs to me that I have stupidly fallen victim to this practice of "Make a new name to avoid talking to someone".

Finally, just now, I realize that since she merely has a new AIM screen name I don't know of, I cannot sign on to one of my alternate AIM screen names and find out if I'm blocked or not. I am trapped in "Did she disappear on me intentionally or not?" purgatory.

Fucking whore. How dare you outwit me like that!

That practice seems really pointless, especially since you appear like you're just signed off to anyone you block anyways, or you can just do the whole "block everyone that's not on your friends list" thing to avoid people signing on alternate AIM names to check you out. Last time I changed AIM names was only because my ex was going crazy stalking and pestering me however she could because she was upset over my telling her I didn't want to talk to her anymore.

The unexpectedly intelligent play a girl I like showed me.

Girl I like tells me many moons ago that when she doesn't want to talk to someone any more, she doesn't have the heart to block them on AIM, she just makes a new AIM screenname and doesn't tell them what it is. I consider this a retarded, overly convoluted, cowardly move as opposed to just hitting block, deleting their name & getting on with your life. (Then again I still have the same AIM name I had when I was in middle school, so.)

Today it occurs to me that since this girl received the overly expensive present I got her for Christmas, she hasn't been on AIM. It also occurs to me that I have stupidly fallen victim to this practice of "Make a new name to avoid talking to someone".

Finally, just now, I realize that since she merely has a new AIM screen name I don't know of, I cannot sign on to one of my alternate AIM screen names and find out if I'm blocked or not. I am trapped in "Did she disappear on me intentionally or not?" purgatory.

Fucking whore. How dare you outwit me like that!

Couldn't you just call her?

I tried texting her and got an error message in response, and when I called to see if it was the right number it rang a couple times and then went to a generic answering machine message (where it doesn't have her voice, or her saying her name, it just repeats the number you dialed and says "is not available. To leave a callback number, press 5.").

Doesn't matter any more, I typed up a nasty message & have effectively cut her out from my life.

Fuckin' women, y'know?

Agree with Byron on how much the GRE sucks and with still fly on how much the LSAT sucks.

VX, I work for an education grad program--tops in the state. Of course, the state is KY. Anyway, if you're interested in the Bluegrass region I could fill you in.

A bill to get rid of Daylight Saving Time in Alaska just passed the state house. I hate DST, but we need to keep it until the rest of the country ditches it. Being 4 hours behind the east coast can be bad enough sometimes, like when the customer service number you have to call has hours of 9-5 eastern time. And as much as I've been sleeping in lately, I don't need baseball games starting at 8am.

You only lose sleep for one hour the one day you actually change the clocks, unless I'm an idiot and missing some vital facet of Alaskan life where the fact that it's 9:21pm instead of 8:21pm is a night ruiner.

I have no idea, and hopefully somewhere along the line it gets shot down before it gets enacted. I think the main thing behind it is 'why the fuck do we need DST?' which I completely understand, if we were a stand alone nation we wouldn't need it, and I hate it myself. But as long as the majority of the US is on it we need to be on it. On the upside on June 21 the sun would set around 11 instead of close to midnight. On the downside it'll rise at like 4. Fuck that noise. But more importantly fuck being even further behind the lower 48.

So tonight I got a bit hammered and stopped by a local food joint to get some grub before coming home. As I was walking out, I noticed a cab dropping some people off and flagged it down, then as I got into the cab some other drunk douchebags visiting from out of town got in and said they'd pay my fare as long as they could get where they were going. I said that wasn't necessary I was just tryin to get where I was going, but ten along the line the guy in front started talking a crazy amount of shit for no reason and, of course, being drunk as I am, I responded and then the cab guy kicked me out because I wasn't the bigger fare. Go figure. At least, on the bright side, I got halfway home before walking which really wasn't that much, probably 1/4-1/2 mile, it's just that it's uphill and all and that I was drunk that was a pain. That kinda sucked.

That was a pretty bad post. I apologize, folks. I was pretty peeved but in retrospect, I realized that it was probably for the best that it happened- I got a free ride for most of the way and I didn't beat the shit out of the guy in front of me which would've certainly gotten me assault charges and/or thrown in the drunk tank. Inconvenient if when I had to go to the Department of Human Services this morning they'd probably inquire about that, or I'd miss my appointment altogether.

Interviews at 10am on a Monday when you didn't go to bed until 7am on Friday and have no intention of hitting the hay before 7am on Saturday.

If I didn't live with my parents I'd just stay up progressively later each night so I was awake from like 7pm straight through the interview at 10am, get home around noon, and then just guzzle caffeine like nobody's business to make it to a respectable sleep time that night, but nooooooo. I live with my parents who go by the old "Just get up earlier each day!" that works, but leads to being really fucking cranky and sleep-deprived every goddamn day you do it.

And of course with my luck I'll get up earlier each day, be up at 8am, have a nice interview, promptly fuck up my sleep schedule to the 6am-2pm timing I'm on now and then be asked back for a second interview so I have to repeat the process.

I hate to be the dissenter knowing that I've had sleep problems keeping me up at weird hours too but an interview at 10am isn't that ridiculous or anything, especially since it's only Friday. If you can't get to sleep earlier, just drink a bunch of wine or something the night before in a pinch or whatever. Always makes me ridiculously tired, no matter what time of day.

10am's not ridiculous, agreed...I was scared they were going to drop an 8am on me. I told them I was available for an interview anytime today (well, Friday at the time) after 12pm, and then proceeded to get a particularly nasty bout of insomnia and somehow managed to roll out of bed at 3pm.

It particularly angers me because my mom has the exact same issue I do (except she's on prescription sleep meds and Benadryl just to get any sleep at all) and yet there's no compassion out of it, she just gives me shit for not having gotten up by mid-afternoon and then goes back to taking her nap.

The hours I manage to keep are absurd. I'm curious as to what hours I'd keep if I just went to bed when I actually was tired enough to sleep and getting up when I was actually awake enough to get up, as opposed to going to bed based on being bored enough to do so.

Yeah I understand how you feel. I saw a doctor a few years ago and figured out that I had DSPS (Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome), which is basically that my circadian rhythm lags behind severely no matter how much I try to get a regular sleep schedule going. Basically the only way I'd be a morning person is if the length of day was 27 hours instead of 24. This past term I was switched over to being the morning guy because I am hopefully getting promoted soon and also because the last morning guy had to leave because he was moving out of state. As a result, I couldn't switch over completely right away and developed a really strange sleep pattern- somewhere between 4-6 hours of sleep at night/early morning and then I'd come home and sleep another 2-3 hours. Even when I came home and didn't sleep those last couple hours, I'd still wake up in the middle of my sleep, so it was just completely messed up. Of course, once my body FINALLY started adjusting a bit- as in getting closer to going to sleep at midnight or so, around 1am, that's when finals hit and then spring break so naturally it's still a little whack right now.

The only thing I've found helps me is to get as much daylight as possible although with the cloudiness and lack of sun we get here from November-March, it's pretty damn difficult.

"Do you want fries with that" "Would you like to go large".

Did I order Fries? Did I ask you for a large value meal? No. Then shut the fuck up and give me what I asked for. I don't blame the staff mind, nor get angry with them. It's what they have to say.

Yes, the extra second it takes me to answer "No thanks" for each makes me want to start throwing punches.

sarcasm also makes me angry.

You see, the reason they're required to say that is because it works most of the time and makes the company more money. It's a business, that's what they do. Now quit whining and gather up the breath to utter those two little syllables, and everything will be just fine.

The problem is the places that don't stop after you say no thanks. See: Gamestop and their used game club thing. It's rare when 'not interested' or 'no thanks' ends it. Usually they follow it up with something annoying like "Don't like used games or don't like saving money?" and that pisses me off.

That reminds me of all the people on the street who want you to sign up for their dumb Greenpeace shit. I usually tell them that I'm already a member, but then sometimes they want to talk to me, which is a punishment worse than the guilt I feel for saying "no" and walking away.

The problem is the places that don't stop after you say no thanks. See: Gamestop and their used game club thing. It's rare when 'not interested' or 'no thanks' ends it. Usually they follow it up with something annoying like "Don't like used games or don't like saving money?" and that pisses me off.

I've never had this problem. Especially at Gamestop, the guys at either of the gamestops I go to are always incredibly cool. They ask the usual questions, I say no thanks, they don't ask anymore.

People on the streets though? Fuck that shit. I ignore 'em and just walk by.

That reminds me of all the people on the street who want you to sign up for their dumb Greenpeace shit. I usually tell them that I'm already a member, but then sometimes they want to talk to me, which is a punishment worse than the guilt I feel for saying "no" and walking away.

Same but for scientology, or however they spell it, member recruiters.

I went to see I Love You, Man today and someone brought their baby to the theatre. The baby acted like, well, a baby, nearly ruining the first hour for me until finally the parents left.

If you have a baby, either get a babysitter or wait for the DVD. Why parents bring their babies to R-rated movies boggles my mind