TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Conspiracy_Victim

PlayStation 3

Here is some PS3 news, I got this from the AVS forums.

Yesterday I went over to a Development Studio and got to see actual PS3 TEST Kits in action (Until now, all I've seen are the 3 foot bulky dev stations that look like Beta Max videotape players). It was so shiny and sleek (just like Darth Vader's Helmet). Low and behold the power supply was internal with minimal heat to the unit and no fan noises! (I'm not joking, the thing was freaking mute). Ah, I haven't wanted to dry hump an inanimate object for several years (don't ask, I'm not telling), but that PS3 Test unit was damn sexy.

On a side note, I was tempted to pull a snatch and grab but considering that I'd have to run down 5 flights of stairs and around 15 blocks to the nearest public transit hub, plus the fact I'd be a wanted felon, fired from my job, and black listed in the industry, persuaded me to just leave my grubby finger prints on it and call it a day.

72048-1-2.jpg

Who doesn't love the Spiderman font?

That just further shows that Sony will just about rip off anything.

Sony will cut the price of its basic PlayStation 3 model in Japan to 47,600 yen ($410), from an originally planned 59,800 yen ($515). That puts the PlayStation 3 in the same range as the combined basic Xbox 360 and HD DVD player in Japan, where the duo will sell for 49,600 yen ($427).

This is great news..if you live in japan. Now..how about Sony's giant fuck up with GT4:HD?

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
- Ken Kutaragi mentioned that Sony does not plan to lower the retail price of PS3 in North America and Europe. The reason is that people in both regions were very well accepted to the prices, but in Japan the feedback was not supportive, so Sony lowered the price by 20% in Japan. Besides, Americans vastly prefer the 60GB model, which sells for US$599.

- Phil Harrison said PlayStation 3 is still region-free for games, but not for movies.

- Downloadable PS1, PS2, Mega Drive and PC-Engine games will not be available right at launch, they will be available at "some point" after launch.

- Enterbrain president Hirokazu Hamamura said the lower price of PS3 will drive PS3's unit sales. Although it is still more expensive than its rivals, but the new price put PS3 within allowable range of game machine prices. Koei's CEO Kenji Matsubara said the new price means speedier PS3 sales and lower per-game development costs quickly.

- Namco Bandai announced its racing game Ridge Racer will be available in PS3's e-distribution service, players can download the game from PS3 to PSP, and play on PSP.

- Ken Kutaragi mentioned that Sony does not plan to lower the retail price of PS3 in North America and Europe. The reason is that people in both regions were very well accepted to the prices, but in Japan the feedback was not supportive, so Sony lowered the price by 20% in Japan. Besides, Americans vastly prefer the 60GB model, which sells for US$599.

- Namco Bandai announced its racing game Ridge Racer will be available in PS3's e-distribution service, players can download the game from PS3 to PSP, and play on PSP.

Fuck that shit. So if we bitch about the price they'll lower it here too? I can't imagine someone saying, "Hell no don't lower the price! I want it at $500!" Someone give me their media relations #, I'll complain!

Oh yeah,

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIDGE RRRRRRRRRRRRACER!!

- Downloadable PS1, PS2, Mega Drive and PC-Engine games will not be available right at launch, they will be available at "some point" after launch.

- Enterbrain president Hirokazu Hamamura said the lower price of PS3 will drive PS3's unit sales. Although it is still more expensive than its rivals, but the new price put PS3 within allowable range of game machine prices. Koei's CEO Kenji Matsubara said the new price means speedier PS3 sales and lower per-game development costs quickly.

Oh What the fuck! Do you people now understand why i'm Anti-sony? It's because of shit like that.

Do you people now understand why i'm Anti-sony?

No I don't.

Different pricing in each region is standard. It's always been that way. MS and Nintendo are doing it too.

Do you people now understand why i'm Anti-sony?

No I don't.

Different pricing in each region is standard. It's always been that way. MS and Nintendo are doing it too.

Because unlike Sony, MS and Nintendo don't make a ton of false promises and hype themselves as the end all be all console and price it insanely high($699) For a fucking VIDEO GAME system? The 360 was high itself at $399, but at least they didn't fucking charge for game demos(which x-box live has for free) and is willing to send two verisons of one game(one with zero cars/tracks and the other with 30 cars/2 tracks) and make people pay for it.

Why the hell should anybody buy a PS3? Is there any game to warrent the purchase of the system at launch? Assassin's Creed? Nah, that's coming out for 360. Ninja Gaiden? Yeah, like I want to buy a port of a three year old x-box game with the original director having nothing to do with it, that's a winner. I know..Ridge Racer!

Don't assume because you don't feel it's worth it millions won't. I will buy one for 600. Not sure about launch but sometime in the near future I will pay 600 for it.

The point is that charging more in one region is not exactly scandalous. They're obviously confident Americans will pay. I have no doubt they'll sell out for a while. In the long term....who knows? We'll see...

Don't assume because you don't feel it's worth it millions won't. I will buy one for 600. Not sure about launch but sometime in the near future I will pay 600 for it.

The point is that charging more in one region is not exactly scandalous. They're obviously confident Americans will pay. I have no doubt they'll sell out for a while. In the long term....who knows? We'll see...

Don't assume because you do feel it's worth it, that millions of consumers will as well. I won't buy one for $600 and from what I've gathered at least 75% of people who owned one of the previous PS systems won't be dropping nearly $1,000 for a system, the necessary extras, and a game or two any time in the near future.

No one here is against the idea of regional pricing. It's the idea that Sony feels most Americans WANT to pay that much but the Japanese didn't so that's why the Japanese will get a massive discount. Sony might win this generation, but I can all but guarantee that their stranglehold on the market will be cut in half because of their arrogance when it comes to pricing.

Don't assume because alot of internet dwellers are crying foul over the price tag that the average consumer won't look at it differently. Most people prefered the PS2 over the other systems and will stick with what they liked better brand wise. ALso people see that they are selling a console that plays video games AND blu-ray movies for less than the $1000 it costs for just the blu-ray alone and think it's a bargain.

I know blu-ray is probably going to lose out in the long run but right now it looks very appeaking to the people that always want the best of everything regardless of price. These are the same people that spend thousands on Home Theater and HDTV's and such.

Just remember that we live in America where people spend alot more money on frivilous things than anywhere else in the world, sont knows that and they aren't goint to drop the price when they know it will still sell out and be in high demand regardless.

Don't assume because alot of internet dwellers are crying foul over the price tag that the average consumer won't look at it differently. Most people prefered the PS2 over the other systems and will stick with what they liked better brand wise. ALso people see that they are selling a console that plays video games AND blu-ray movies for less than the $1000 it costs for just the blu-ray alone and think it's a bargain.

I know blu-ray is probably going to lose out in the long run but right now it looks very appeaking to the people that always want the best of everything regardless of price. These are the same people that spend thousands on Home Theater and HDTV's and such.

Just remember that we live in America where people spend alot more money on frivilous things than anywhere else in the world, sont knows that and they aren't goint to drop the price when they know it will still sell out and be in high demand regardless.

Here's a simple analogy. How many people were buying DVD players back when they were almost $1,000 apiece in comparison to now when you can get a good one for a fraction of the price? How many people purchased PS2's just because they were a relatively "good deal" on a DVD player? The idea that the "average consumer" will buy a PS3 because it's "cheaper" than a Blu-Ray standalone is crazy. I don't think you know what the "average consumer" is, if your definition is someone who will spend almost $1,000 on a video game system simply because Americans have more disposable income and simply gotta have it. The kind of people who always want the best of everything regardless of price, by definition are NOT "average consumers". WHEN Sony sees the error of its ways and the price inevitably drops, that's when they'll catch back up in what seems to be a losing battle with the "average consumer" at this point.

I've gathered at least 75% of people who owned one of the previous PS systems won't be dropping nearly $1,000 for a system

Uh, even 10% of PS2 owners buying a PS3 would be millions sold.

Yeah it's not going to reach the 30+ million mark at that price but the big numbers always come after price drops.

It's the idea that Sony feels most Americans WANT to pay that much but the Japanese didn't so that's why the Japanese will get a massive discount.

Yeah? They think one region will be willing to pay more then another. Isn't this part of how businesses decide prices for like, everything? How is this any different?

Of course the average consumer won't spend that much on a video game system. The average consumer didn't even buy a PS2 until it lowered in price.

Sony is not going to "see the error of their ways" when they drop the price. They're surely already planning on a drop as soon as they can afford to. They're not going to talk about it publically but they know 600 dollars is not a mass market price.

They'll still sell out at launch, and sell out of any new batches for a few months more. It's also probably gonna cut down on the amount of people selling them on on e-bay.

Prices will go down when there are enough for everyone, but the people who really want a PS3 will find the extra money at launch. You really can't blame Sony for taking advantage of what people will pay for.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
Because unlike Sony, MS and Nintendo don't make a ton of false promises and hype themselves as the end all be all console and price it insanely high($699) For a fucking VIDEO GAME system?

PS3 is not a game machine. We've never once called it a game machine.

Who doesn't love the Spiderman font?

That just further shows that Sony will just about rip off anything.

Problem with that statement is that Sony distributes the Spidey films.

The "Spider-Man" font is a Sony trademark. End of story.

The American PS3 price is not going down despite the cries of many potential customers. The problem is that these customers assume that Sony is listening to them. Sony has NEVER needed to listen to them, but they do pay attention to the retailers. The electronics stores and the video game stores who know that their core demographic likes to bitch and moan about a 600 dollar system, only to hope no one else will touch it after that rant and then sneak off to the store on midnight of release.

I got this from another site.

Ok, so check this out. I was just talking with somebody 'in the know' in a major retailer (asked to remain annonymous) regarding upcoming launch. This major big box retailer location is only expecting 20 (so there goes the theory that gamestop, ebgames, fye are getting 20 or so for launch) PS3's for launch. Of course, more shipments to follow.

HOWEVER, the really interesting part was that Sony is going to require people to sign an agreement of some sort regarding the purchase of the PS3. This agreement will be used as a legal, binding document to keep people from buying PS3's and then selling them for 100%+ markup on eBay. Of course I didn't see this paperwork, but from the person who told me (yes, this is all hearsay, but better to be prepared in case it is true), if you buy a PS3 and sell it in an obvious open market like eBay for more than the MSRP, then you will be liable for a $50,000 law suit.

So, this is being done to deter people from creating an almost black market like condition on eBay. I hope this is true because this will keep things civil and get a lot of kids PS3's that otherwise might not have them for Christmas. According to my source, this is not speculation. It has already been decided and the paperwork is to hit the stores prior to launch. Of course, you can't account for people who then sell them at ridiculous mark ups to private individuals (i.e. parking lot deals), but Sony fully intends to do everything to divert the hysteria that ensued launch with the Xbox 360.

I don't know if I fully believe it. It might be one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" things. However, like I said, I hope it is true. Just like music downloading crackdowns, all the industry will have to do is nail the first few jokers out of the gate who hock 'em on eBay and everybody else will fall in line. It ought to make things more interesting, for sure!

I really hope this isn't true because I am planning on buying two PS3s and selling one of them, so atleast I can get mine for free.

If that's true, Sony can lick my balls. They're going to get their pound of flesh regardless of what someone does with the system, who gives a shit if they sell it on eBay? It's not like it's going to hurt their sales. Their "sudden" shortage of systems at launch took care of that.

Guest Princess Leena

Whatever Sony's reason, I'm for doing this because it ensures more people can buy the PS3 at a more reasonable price (which is already ridiculous enough at $600).

I call bullshit. Show me documented legal precedence and maybe I'll believe it. However, the fact that they clearly don't even have a *name* for an "agreement" of this ilk should be a red flag.

I can't even google up anything like that.

"I hope it is true. Just like music downloading crackdowns..."

Which had no effect *at all* on the sales of pre-recorded music sold through retailers. They actually went *down* after the "crackdowns." Whoever wrote that is an idiot.