TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

OAO "Holy shit, Kurt Angle is in TNA now" thread...

I'm not getting into this moral question of if TNA should have signed Angle or not because the fact of the matter is that all one can hope for is Angle's limited schedule w/ TNA will help things, and chances are he won't work a match til BFG anyway. So its not like TNA is literally going to deteriorate Angle on the road like he was doing in WWE. Time will tell on that but whatever the case, these are clear reasons why Angle in TNA is HUGE

-Tying in a similar demographic and viewer from UFC crossover programming by having Angle as a main advertising character for the company. to generate a viewer interested in MMA to check out a pro wrestling show, now with more legit "wrestling" workers like Joe, Angle, etc. Spike always wants these two companies to work together if possible, and its very conveivable Spike is ponying up a check to Angle here to get in the door, and brand the company now as a whole more crossing over into UFC demographics. Hell, I wouldnt at all even be surprised to see Angle go to UFC for a big fight here and there while being in TNA as well, as long as both companies worked together with a middle man in Spike TV(?)

-Angle may very well be a draw here - which is a rarety to even think that with TNA. It depends how they use him but I'm actually confident Russo will book him well - he never really fucked up too much with Ken Shamrock in WWE booking, and I know Russo is a fan of Angle's for sure, so this might be interesting to see how Russo uses him.

-Angle v. Joe is a dream match for sure and when you start to break down the upper card scene, there are alot of potential money matches down the road with Kurt onboard.

-There is no question WWE casual viewers will check out TNA to see what Angle is doing here. Again with Russo, if he can hook viewers to want to catch Angle and then stay for the rest of the show, they just might start taking some of that audience from WWE. TNA and Spike needs to advertise the living shit out of Angle from now til the ppv to make people take notice on this move.

TNA really, to me, hit a home run tonight with this annoucement on this and the reaction in the arena after the annoucement made for a feeling that something has truly shifted in this company, where the momentum from this may lead this to where TNA needs to be to come closer to compete with WWE.

Given TNA's tendency to use the "new star" (Christian, Sting) as little as possible in their first 2 months on TV, because, you know, they have to pay them while still trying to draw a PPV buy for them, I don't see how having Angle aboard is going to result in all these new fans tuning in. Wrestling's in the worst slump it's seen since since 1992-1995, who are all these fans?

I fully admit I got worked by the Angle MMA news.

One thing people here need to realize...

There is no such thing as ethics in Pro-Wrestling

Never has been, never will be. If you think any promotion, wrestler, or promoter has ever been ethical, you're delusional. Even the greatest of the great have lied, used, and thrown people to the curb to get what's needed. If TNA can get a bonus from Angle in his state? They will. Just like how WWE would had they not JUST had a wrestler die on their watch already.

Guest East.Coast.J
I say shame on TNA because they're letting Kurt Angle die or get crippled in the ring.

Just because he's willing to wrestle doesn't mean they have to let him wrestle

Nobody even knows what they are going to do with Angle yet. If he wrestles like once a month for TNA he'll be in far better long term shape than he would be putting 100% of his effort into training for MMA and then putting himself in a position to get slaughtered.

I don't want to see Angle get hurt either and I would be thrilled if he retired tomorrow, but it's silly to say "SHAME ON TNA!" when promoters have been booking guys in no condition to wrestle for decades, and in many ways facilitating those injuries and addictions by not providing appropriate time off and medical attention. You think Chris Benoit is in that much better shape than Angle after twenty years of going 100% and putting lord knows what into his body? Or Sabu? Nobody should be booking Sabu at all in 2006 given his physical condition.

Wrestling is a business. Love it or hate it. TNA is just doing what any other promoter over the last 50 years would have.

Just b/c promoters have been doing it for years doesn't make it right or ethical.

Angle is in horrendous shape, a ticking timebomb and should never wrestle again- limited schedule or not.

Have you seen him? It's scary looking.

Guest East.Coast.J

On an aside, it's funny that TNA's new prime time is the Thursday night at 9pm timeslot, which is the WORST POSSIBLE TIMESLOT in over five years when you consider that Grey's Anatomy and CSI are having a slugout in that slot of historic proportions. They combined for about 50 million viewers last Thursday, easily topped the charts for the week for the 18-35 demo and made a ratings graveyard out of most of the other programs being offered during that hour.

ROH, can't afford Angle. I think TNA has too many in-house stars to throw at Angle before Danielson, unless they finally sign him.

If ROH can afford Christian cage, they can afford Angle. Angle would probably work for a bottle of pain pills.

Angle going to TNA isn't the worst idea. He'll wrestle a few times a month for a hefty paycheck, and TNA can control all his bookings to protect him if they feel the need.

On top of that, if worse come to worse, Sting isn't exactly the worst person for Angle to be around. The whole born again Christian helping people part could ya know...help Angle. Can't HURT to have someone go out of their way to help him out.

Guest East.Coast.J
Just b/c promoters have been doing it for years doesn't make it right or ethical.

Angle is in horrendous shape, a ticking timebomb and should never wrestle again- limited schedule or not.

Have you seen him? It's scary looking.

Angle is in HORRIFYING physical condition. I was terrified to see just how someone with no feeling in their hands would do in an MMA environment. I'm a big believer in personal accountability though. Angle is a grown man, and if he wants to put his services up to the highest bidder that is his decision. I haven't been able to enjoy an Angle match since Wrestlemania in Seattle and find something else to watch when he is on, but his future is his to do with what he chooses.

Who's to say he wouldn't fall into a dehabilitating bout of depression if he was blackballed from athletic competition anyway. He has already pushed his family entirely out of his life and he clearly doesn't have an off switch or anything else driving him in life.

It's really incredibly sad.

On an aside, it's funny that TNA's new prime time is the Thursday night at 9pm timeslot, which is the WORST POSSIBLE TIMESLOT in over five years when you consider that Grey's Anatomy and CSI are having a slugout in that slot of historic proportions. They combined for about 50 million viewers last Thursday, easily topped the charts for the week for the 18-35 demo and made a ratings graveyard out of most of the other programs being offered during that hour.

I don't think TNA has to worry about their fans being split on either watching Grey's or TNA...I know are fans of both shows, but it's not that significant I don't think.

Regardless of ratings, the presence of Angle will inevitebly cause a higher # of viewers to order a ppv.

I hope that he can get into good shape again (obviously for his own well being first and foremost) but also because of the fresh slate of matches that Angle can be paired in.

Joe is the most obvious one...

Angle vs. Styles

Angle vs. LowKi

Angle vs. Homicide

Angle vs. Abyss (mmm...)

Angle vs. Daniels

Angle vs. Rhino

Angle vs. Christian

Angle vs. Sting

Angle vs. Jarrett even...

Fresh.

Angle is one of my kids' favorites and I'll be glad he'll be on a show that I'm not embarrassed to let them watch. If healthy, he can be a huge plus. If anything at least this is maybe the start of some competition and the WWE will start to make their own product better.

Kurt wrestling once or twice a month isn't as bad as WWE wanting him to do house shows and tv tapings. It'll be a lot less work for Kurt. The key for TNA right now is let Angle work just regular type matches for a few months until he and they feel he can have a big time match. By regular matches I mean like a slow paced 10 minute match on a PPV and maybe a 3 minute match on tv.

Guest East.Coast.J
Exactly

Though it is hard to take someone seriously with a Luke Perry avatar

I prefer to think of it as a Dylan McKay avatar, which either makes it far less gay, or far gayer. :)

Guest Princess Leena
Nobody even knows what they are going to do with Angle yet. If he wrestles like once a month for TNA he'll be in far better long term shape than he would be putting 100% of his effort into training for MMA and then putting himself in a position to get slaughtered.

Do you think Kurt will stick around long in TNA if he's only allowed to wrestle once per month?

Let's not forget the politicking Kurt did late in his WWE run. That will only be worse in TNA.

Kurt went to TNA to work matches.

I'd be willing to bet that now that Kurt Angle is on board in TNA, a few other WWE guys just might follow over the next year or so.

oh definitely. This looks like it is the beginning to a snowball effect that, with time, could lead to the kick in the ass wrestling has been looking for in a LONG time.

I say we all rejoice!

I'd be willing to bet that now that Kurt Angle is on board in TNA, a few other WWE guys just might follow over the next year or so.

How's about Jericho? If he wants to come back to wrestling, he probably doesn't feel like working WWE's schedule anymore since he's doing other things. Plus he would only be jobbing to Cena or HHH there anyway.

Everyone that WWE has ever misused in the last few years could come back to bite them in the ass.

Everyone that WWE has ever misused in the last few years could come back to bite them in the ass.

Sounds a hell of a lot like WWF/WCW eh?

The more things change...