TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
iggymcfly

Dexter

Anybody else watch this? It was on Showtime tonight, and it's really, really interesting. There already setting up a plotline with a main villian that's a rival killer, and it seems like what the storyline with the killer would have been on Nip/Tuck last year if they actually had a plan for the storyline when they started it, and didn't derail the whole thing with mundane subplots all the time. Honestly, this looks like the most promising new series I've seen in quite a long time.

I thought the first episode was pretty good. The actor who plays Dexter is very good, he comes off as likable at times, but then he gets super creepy. I thought they did a good job alternating back between the two, a good balance where you would see him doing normal things and then do stuff that was totally psycho. Dexter going up against a rival serial killer looks very interesting.

Maybe a couple other thoughts....the body parts were seriously gross. I also am not that thrilled with the supporting characters. Or some of them. I'm not sure about Julie Benz as his girlfriend; she's not so bad, but she seemed a little too needy. I was also annoyed by his sister, it seemed like all she cared about was getting a promotion and it got to the point where she was really annoying me with her whining.

Bumped since I watched the second episode recorded after getting back from Vegas. They took it a little slower, not developing the main story too much, but the characters are still really interesting and I certainly wasn't bored at any point. I also liked that they toned down the sister a little bit as she wasn't half as annoying as in the first ep.

If I had one complaint, it would be that they gave away too much in the previews for the next episodes. It looks like it's basically a summary for the whole season as now, not only have they given away that

the killer is trying to set up Dexter, revealing him to the public

, we also know that

the sister is going to be the one who starts to figure out the crime and investigate it.

I mean they're both really interesting ideas that I'd love to see executed, but how much can there really be left that we don't know about the shape of the season. It seems like that's enough to be major cliffhangers in at least two episodes and they gave them away in the previews.

Another great episode tonight. The combination of action and character development is the best I've seen since the first season of Lost. I really can't understand why more people aren't watching this show.

I finished watching the first episode. It has promise, but overall, it seems rather superficial. Dex himself seems a pale, more masculine imitation of Patrick Bateman and the supporting characters are all rather forgettable, not to mention cliched. The lusting lieutenant, needy and oblivious sister, suspicious coworker.. though I did find the last one rather interesting. He certainly doesn't have a problem with invading Dex's personal space.

Dex's girlfriend is a character I hope to see more of, and I like her originality.

I'll check out the other episodes.

The supporting characters get a lot better. The sister gets toned way down after the first episode, until she's halfway likeable, and the girlfriend gets enough focus that she's probably the second-leading character in the show behind Dexter.

Guest mrbutcherer

Hey hell yeah. Loving the series, and wanted to throw my vote in for the show. Been catching it on Show ON Demand, got the first 4 episodes up. Expect ep 5 oughta be up sometime this week.

Episode 5 was very good, and looks like the last "character-driven" episode for a while, before the new plot really starts to heat up. All around, I like the depth they've given Dexter, especially through his relationship, and it's really easy to identify with his character. Can't wait for next week's ep.

Giving one more bump for the best show on television with the finale coming up next week. I've enjoyed every episode of the season thus far, but you'd think if this killer was so smart he'd find a better way to cover his tracks than trying to kill everyone remotely connected to the case. I don't know how he'd possibly expect to get away with this after what's going on with Deb whereas he still would have had a pretty decent shot otherwise. I do like the idea that he's still manipulating Dexter though, leaving him little clues about his sister, and trying to teach him a lesson about what it means to be a serial killer.

Had to add my 2 cents in on the series as I finished watching it OnDemand.

I think this has the potential to be a pretty good series. Season 1 was pretty good and I like how the final five minutes could set up a Season 2 if it is renewed or be a series ender.

Some of the characters are cliched, but all of the actors did pretty good in their roles. I don't know how to do the spoiler tags, but my only gripe with Season 1 was what happened to Castillo's wife. I can check reality at the door when I watch TV, but there is NO WAY she "shows up" at the chop shop after she went for a swim. I guess I also have a problem with Dexter & Brian's location for their final showdown.

I would love to see Season 2 have Dexter continue his missions with Doakes and maybe Rita on his trail. And in desparation Dexter has to break Harry's code to end Season 2 to save himself, which could set up a heel Dexter for Season 3.

Season 1 DVD comes out next month. My tattooist was singing the praises of this show earlier today so I'm gonna check it out when the DVDs come out. This is pretty much how I got into BSG as well. :)

51iu4gwyiuL._SS500_.jpg

Yeah, it's pretty good. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had watched it from the beginning, rather than starting half-way through and then going back and catching up.

The books are pretty good, too.

Making the new GF watch the episodes on Demand.

Season 2 starts on September 30th and Keith Carradine will play an FBI detective investigating murders.

Yup. I'm so glad they went in a different direction than the books. Book 2 was retarded.

Also, Laguerta just cracks me up. The actress playing her does a superb job, like the scene where she was hiding in the kitchen.

So who ends up on the FBI guy's team? I assume Dexter and Deb. They've also established this whole "Dexter is the only person Deb has", so I figure she'll also find out it was him at some point. Thoughts?

S2 of Dexter will premiere during the Showtime Free Weekend Sept 28-October first but the special news is Showtime is supposedly offering a special rate of $6.95 a month for 3 months, which should cover the entire 2nd season run of Dexter. Dont know what Cable/Sat are picking up the rate but that sounds like a good idea if you can get it, I know its about 1/2 off the rate Directv has.

Rewatching the first season before season 2 airs. It looks like they're keeping elements from the second book, but it's not gonna be as close as the first season was to book one.

Damn good show, bought the season one. Since I got some tv lovers in the thread I wanted to ask if a few shows are worth going out of my way to see.

The Shield

Rome

Sopranos

Damn good show, bought the season one. Since I got some tv lovers in the thread I wanted to ask if a few shows are worth going out of my way to see.

The Shield

Rome

Sopranos

Yes, yes and yes