TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jonathon

Friday Night Lights...

That's a good move. Come January it would have faced the juggernaut of American Idol on Tuesdays.

Now if only Heroes would move to Tuesdays. It's on the same time as 24 in January, and I'm in class those nights and can only tape one show.

Heroes is re-run on Sci-Fi on friday nights.

Another good episode, slightly below the previous two shows but I enjoyed the Julie/Saracen moments tremendously and I was glad Tyra and Jason didn't go too sleazy as I was worried. Nice to see just a straight bonding moment.

I'm getting REALLY sick of the teen drama on this show. I wish this was more about football not Dawson's Creek.

It's about high school football. How could you not involve the typical high school stuff? So far it's been 60/40 in terms of episodes dealing with football (the game , prep for the game, fallout and such) and the teen stuff. Luckily, the teen stuff isn't idiotic. The Saracen/Julie stuff is done well with Saracen not sure how to act (everyone tells him to be QB1 yet Julie doesn't care and knows that isn't Saracen). Lyla is overacting this but I think Jason is a great character and Riggins is pretty good at making you hate him but feel sorry for him.

I love how they haven't gone the cheap route and completely take Landry from Saracen but I fear they will since it's the nature of that world. As a former player, I would like to see more emphasis on the practices, training and such but as a former player who also dealt with teammates sleeping teammate's girlfriends, the awkwardness of being the "myth" and the reality of being the "man" and the pressure the entire school places on you, I can get into that.

Right now the show reminds me of a better quality One Tree Hill. OTH, was very similar to FNL but only with basketball. The first half of the first season was all about basketball and the town's expecations. It collapsed into that "Dawson's Creek" aspect and never really recovered but probably kept itself alive with the DC format. Lately, in the probable last season, they have decided to make basketball at least in the picture. Surrounding the constant deaths, murders, sex crimes, teen pregancies, teen divorce and all that fun stuff. I'll agree that if they keep moving into a full blown teen drama with the occasional football stuff, I'll probably lose interest even if it's been well written and acted as it has been. I think when they head towards the inevitable playoff run, football will be in the forefront again for the show.

I'm getting REALLY sick of the teen drama on this show. I wish this was more about football not Dawson's Creek.

It's about teenagers playing football. Of course they have to focus on their drama, and I think it's good TV.

Julie-Saracen is awesome. I am getting sick of them winning every game with some miracle

It's about teenagers playing football. Of course they have to focus on their drama, and I think it's good TV.

Julie-Saracen is awesome. I am getting sick of them winning every game with some miracle

Agreed. Would it hurt to win a blow-out? If they are supposed to be one of the best teams in the state, they should have a cupcake team or two on the line-up. Use it as a chance to show Saracen stepping up and being the MAN for once instead of the hapless kid who lucked out.

I think they were supposed to be really good, but Street's injury killed them since Saracen is so bad.

They also lost Reyes, one of their top D men.

I thought it was going to be more like the movie, which it isn't at all.

They have the Street drama with Lilia(sp), which has nothing to do with football! He is just a character who was injured and it really has nothing to do with the team winning games.

I really feel like I'm watching Dawson's Creek here. There was about 10 minutes of football in the whole episode and the show is supposed to be about football. We don't need these love stories. I like the story with Smash and the roids, but that is about it.

If they keep this up, I'm going to stop watching it.

I thought it was going to be more like the movie, which it isn't at all.

They have the Street drama with Lilia(sp), which has nothing to do with football! He is just a character who was injured and it really has nothing to do with the team winning games.

I really feel like I'm watching Dawson's Creek here. There was about 10 minutes of football in the whole episode and the show is supposed to be about football. We don't need these love stories. I like the story with Smash and the roids, but that is about it.

I thought it was going to be more like the book, which it has been. The book covered the personal lives of the players and the community, in great detail, while the movie obviously couldn't do that.

You don't come from an area where high school football is the most important thing, which is probably why you're unaware of the importance of Lyla and Jason. Communities that live and die by the high school football team, are greatly involved in the lives of their players. Jason is constantly refered to as the heart of the team and in turn, the heart of that town. Lyla, cheating on Jason with the town bad boy (as the Riggins are constantly viewed as) is huge for that town.

What you want is Playmakers, a completely absurd show about football but since it involved more football action, you probably liked it.

I watched the first episode of Playmakers and there wasn't any football, so I stopped watching it.

But the show doesn't need to be soo damn corny, which it is becoming. I still like it, but it is losing points.

Good.

The show is not about football. It's about the effect football has on the lives of the people in this small town.

It has everything to do with football and football culture! Seriously, stop watching the show if you don't understand it.

Good.

The show is not about football. It's about the effect football has on the lives of the people in this small town.

It has everything to do with football and football culture! Seriously, stop watching the show if you don't understand it.

Bob, serious question. You're from the northeast, right? Never sure quite where, but exactly what is the high school football culture like there since I've always went under the impression that it's as big up there as it is here or Texas, for that matter but yet it doesn't have that big reputation as those two areas do.

Here, you go 40 miles south or west and it's like football doesn't exist. Basketball is the only sport that is around there.

Our football team always sucked. No one really cared about them too much. People would go to the games on Saturday, but I doubt one person could tell you the final score. That's why I laugh at a lot of Friday Night Lights, I can't believe how isnane it is.

Where I was from was a small town, and no one really cared about the sports teams. Our school was known for the musical we put on every year. Yes, that's pretty gay

Our football team always sucked. No one really cared about them too much. People would go to the games on Saturday, but I doubt one person could tell you the final score. That's why I laugh at a lot of Friday Night Lights, I can't believe how isnane it is.

Where I was from was a small town, and no one really cared about the sports teams. Our school was known for the musical we put on every year. Yes, that's pretty gay

Oh, I see. That's why I love this show, not just for the great acting and character but because I get this stuff. I don't think the show does enough to truly show how insane these towns are.

Good.

Well it is about football since the story revolves around the football team. To say it isn't about football is silly. But it's also about the culture, like you said. HOWEVER, drama is fine just not corny drama. There are plenty of teen dramas out there that aren't corny, which this is starting to become.

All I am asking is for it too stay away from Dawson's Creek drama. Simple as that.

Hey Bob, in most small towns around Texas, high school football isn't 'inane'. The town FNL is based on (Odessa, Texas) makes Dillon look laid back in comparison. The city lives for it's HS team. Seriously. I even played for a small private school in Houston and the parents there were bordering on fanatic about it. Just with less cursing.

Then again, maybe you meant "insane" instead of "inane". In which case I totally agree.

So-so episode last night. Riggins barely spoke a word, which was odd since a lot of the episode dealt with him. There was a lot packed into this episode, it should have been two. You got Smash dealing with his drama, Riggins getting absolutely shat upon, then saving the game, Lila dealing with her drama, and Saracen/Coachs daughter storyline. They are all great stories, but maybe too much packed into one episode made the overall story suffer.

I don't think it suffered and the stories weren't packed in by any means. It was structured fairly well.

Of course Riggins wasn't going to say much. He's never been that talkative before except when drunk. He knows how much he fucked up and there's nothing he can say.

I wonder why Coach is going to start hating on Saracen next week. I mean, who can hate Matt Saracen?

It looks like Julie takes it further then Saracen expected and Coach doesn't see it like that. Toss in all the stuff he knows about his players with the girls, he's going to assume what most parents would.

So the show returned last night and was still great. Saracen is a fantastic character and I'm stunned at how with the exception of one character, I'm throughly entertained by all of them. I really like the interaction with Riggins and Landry. We need more of that.

I just hope the time change helps it.

Tonight's espisode was good. Not great but it built things along nicely and finally added some background on some minor characters that needed it. Saracen is still my favorite character but Smash was pretty good here. I was sad about the lack of Riggins+Landry this week. They needed to keep that going.