TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy this year!

In the new issue of Rolling Stone hitting stands this Friday, our Brian Hiatt reveals what he’s discovered about the long-awaited Guns N’ Roses album Chinese Democracy. The article begins with this elusive quote from GN’R manager Merck Mercuriadis, in which he essentially retreads stuff we already know: “The album will come out this year. There are ten Tuesdays left before January – it will come out on one of them.” But trust us, it gets better. Highlights after the jump.

* Following Guns’ headlining gig in San Bernadino, California, on September 23rd, Axl threw a party at his mansion and played the full album in his poolroom for visitors, including his friend Sebastian Bach, former singer of Skid Row. “It was mind-blowing,” says Bach, who is opening for Guns n’ Roses on their upcoming North American arena tour. “It’s a very cool album – it’s badass with killer screams, killer guitar riffs, but it’s got a totally modern sound. The word for it is ‘grand.’ It’s fucking epic. He’s reinvented himself yet again.”

* The album includes some tracks that have been played live or leaked onto the Internet, including the poppy “Better” and the hard-hitting “I.R.S.” “There’s this one song called ‘Sorry’ that’s almost like doom metal with Axl singing really clean over this grinding, slow beat that is fucking mean,” says Bach. “I cannot get it out of my head.”

* Veteran engineer Andy Wallace, who mixed Nirvana’s Nevermind, is working on the project, according to a source close to the band. “We’re absolutely delighted with the mixes,” the source says.

* On October 24th, the band will kick off its North American tour in Miami. Two dates — November 10th in New York and November 20th in Halifax, Nova Scotia — are already sold out, according to Mercuriadis. Additional U.S. dates will be added in early 2007, and the band will return to the States in the summer as well, he says.

* Though a source told Rolling Stone that the album is due November 21st, Mercuriadis declined to confirm this. “I don’t know that we will announce a release date,” he says. “You just might walk into your record shop one Tuesday and find it there.”

Lets face the facts folks: It will most likely suck.

Have you heard any of the new songs? Cause I have.........

Yes, I have, and I wasn't impressed with most of them.

Oh C'mon....Hilfiger got mad that Axl moved his drink so he wouldn't knock it over, and he threw a temper tantrum and got thrown out of the club by his own people. He PUSHED Axl........Axl was incredulous and laughed in the guy's face.......how would you have reacted? I mean, it's Tommy Hilfiger!

Still. Getting into a scuffle with Hilfiger is like getting into a scuffle with the skinny kid from art class who wears vests with everything. Unless you are considered 100% victorious with no rumours/rumblings afterwards, you've lost.

I hate to see how royalties are going to be after this album was released. I mean they had like 30 band members recording this album.

You can still receive royalties if your original parts you'd written were altered or changed completely?

I don't know if that is the case, but I think guys like Josh Freese and Duff and Buckethead's parts have all been rerecorded at the very least.

Yeah, Stinson is still there.

Keyboardist Dizzy Reed, who's been with GNR since 1990.

Three guitarists: Robin Finck, formerly of Nine Inch Nails, Richard Fortus, formerly of Love Spit Love and a replacement member of the Psychedelic Furs, and a dude called Bumblefoot

Former Primus drummer Brain

And some dude named Chris Pittman on keyboards

Robin Finck is fuckin useless.

Bumblefoot rules though.

I hope this is true - can't wait to hear a CD quality versions of Catcher in the Rye and Madagascar.

Lets face the facts folks: It will most likely suck.

It's going to suck if you're one who doesn't like Guns N' Roses. And if you do like them, and I'm a huge GNR fan, I'd think it would be quite enjoyable if you can get past "IT'S NOT SLASH!!!" That said, all the hype surrounding this album has set unrealistically high expectations for it. If you look at it as "this album has been in the making for a decade, so it better be a classic" it'll be kind of hard not to be let down.

Robin Finck won me over when I saw GNR at the Hammerstein. His solos he did in "There Was A Time" were the kind that make legends.

I think some GNR fans resent him because they think he doesn't play Slash's solos right, when really I think he's just trying to "make them his own" while still preserving the essential elements. I think he'd be better off just playing them straight up like the originals.

As for "There was A Time", I thought it was really sloppy when they played it at Hammerstein. Good song, but it was the first live performance, so it's not like it was going to be perfect.

Hey JAxl, do you have the instrumental versions of "Better", "I.R.S." and "There Was A Time"? I know they leaked to the internet but GNR's management got them pulled real quick.

It's not blind faith. I've seen them live. I've heard the demos. They are the real deal.

that doesn't mean you have any idea what you are talking about.

ie. the doors.

Oh boy.........shitting on the Doors..........what is wrong with you? I don't even feel like naming song after song of theirs that is just awesome, captivating, etc.

On a side note, I saw a Tool sucks in concert topic on here, and didn't comment. Well, I saw them a few weeks back, and boy......they ruined my night they were so boring and awful, and they also pissed away any shot of me giving them a real chance.