TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
1234-5678

Chinese Democracy this year!

i'm not as sure as inc that this will sell. or do anything.

No, no, I think (assuming we don't have to wait several more years) this will do about two million in sales; like that last Jacko album, it'll draw out the diehards and the curious. Modern rock radio will embrace a single or two, but—like Invincible—it'll ultimately prove to be out-of-step with today's commercial climate, and any heat this album generates will be gone within six months.

I think the difference is Invincible sounded (or tried to sound) exactly like his old stuff, while the songs that have leaked off of Chinese Democracy don't sound much like old GnR.

The real difference is that a lot of people think Michael Jackson is a child molester and don't want shit to do with him.

Michael Jackson and Axl Rose are both famous, extremely troubled celebrities.

Jackson was, at one time, the biggest pop star there was. The allegations of child molestation and the realization that he was a creepy, stunted manchild played a part in his decline, true, but so did his inability to continue to produce music that people gave much a damn about. The 80s became the 90s and Michael Jackson was bound to lose steam, anyway. He no longer fits.

Guns n Roses, while at one time very, very popular, were nowhere near Jackson's level of superstardom. So Axl didn't need to play rubba in a hot tub with 13-year-old boys for his star to fall, but being a egomaniacal asshole who routinely cancels concerts based on his primadonna whim and then taking an enternity to release a new album that still hasn't come out and possibly might not even be released in his own lifetime is more than enough to render him irrelevant to many in today's pop/rock climate. The 90s became the 21st century and Axl Rose may no longer fit.

i'm not as sure as inc that this will sell. or do anything.

No, no, I think (assuming we don't have to wait several more years) this will do about two million in sales; like that last Jacko album, it'll draw out the diehards and the curious. Modern rock radio will embrace a single or two, but—like Invincible—it'll ultimately prove to be out-of-step with today's commercial climate, and any heat this album generates will be gone within six months.

I think the difference is Invincible sounded (or tried to sound) exactly like his old stuff, while the songs that have leaked off of Chinese Democracy don't sound much like old GnR.

The real difference is that a lot of people think Michael Jackson is a child molester and don't want shit to do with him.

Michael Jackson and Axl Rose are both famous, extremely troubled celebrities.

Jackson was, at one time, the biggest pop star there was. The allegations of child molestation and the realization that he was a creepy, stunted manchild played a part in his decline, true, but so did his inability to continue to produce music that people gave much a damn about. The 80s became the 90s and Michael Jackson was bound to lose steam, anyway. He no longer fits.

Guns n Roses, while at one time very, very popular, were nowhere near Jackson's level of superstardom. So Axl didn't need to play rubba in a hot tub with 13-year-old boys for his star to fall, but being a egomaniacal asshole who routinely cancels concerts based on his primadonna whim and then taking an enternity to release a new album that still hasn't come out and possibly might not even be released in his own lifetime is more than enough to render him irrelevant to many in today's pop/rock climate. The 90s became the 21st century and Axl Rose may no longer fit.

Well, of course, that much is obvious. The point is that Axl's dickishness isn't as much of a turnoff as the allegations against Jackson. If people heard a song by MJ that they liked, the whole "yeah, but he was charged with child molestation" might be enough to turn someone away from buying the album. Very few people are going to say "Oh, well this is the dick who caused that riot in Philly so I'm not going to buy this album" assuming they like a Chinese Democracy song, because Axl's trangressions aren't nearly as severe in the public eye as those Jackson was accused off.

This stuff pales in comparison to the fact that Invincible's relative failure was largely due to the fact that it wasn't that good. Will Chinese Democracy be good? Well, obviously not to the Incandenzas and Bankys of the world, but if it appeals to a mass audience? Well, then the irrelevance argument fades, because he's no longer "irrelevant" if he's popular with today's fans. But Inc's argument is based upon the belief that modern rock radio and fans of today won't embrace the album because Axl is out-of-touch, which is merely conjecture at this point. I mean, have you heard some of the stuff that is popular these days? Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" is the number 3 single this week, and even though I've never heard it, the AMG review of that album made it sound like the dumbest piece of ass-rock shit ever put on this earth. I'd have a hard time believing that GNR's "The Blues" couldn't reach those heights. No one could say that those songs that are popular today don't have a decade of hype and expectations behind them, but among the dumb 18 to 21-year-old girls who live in my college dorm, I would bet that the majority of them have no idea of the whole Chinese Democracy myth, but I'm sure they all have "November Rain" and "Sweet Child o' Mine" in their iTunes libraries and I could totally see them giving a new GNR record a chance, at least.

If someone started a thread about the new Morrissey album and then I came in with a photoshopped picture of "Moz" wearing a fucking pink shirt and girl's jeans with a lip ring and I was like "haha this is who you guys are listening to. lol emofags" wouldn't you think it was a dubious argument at best?

P.S. Czech, I appreciate your restraint in this thread.

Guest Felonies!
If someone started a thread about the new Morrissey album and then I came in with a photoshopped picture of "Moz" wearing a fucking pink shirt and girl's jeans with a lip ring and I was like "haha this is who you guys are listening to. lol emofags" wouldn't you think it was a dubious argument at best?

P.S. Czech, I appreciate your restraint in this thread.

I'm sure he owns a pink shirt.

This stuff pales in comparison to the fact that Invincible's relative failure was largely due to the fact that it wasn't that good.

That's what I said.

Will Chinese Democracy be good? Well, obviously not to the Incandenzas and Bankys of the world, but if it appeals to a mass audience? Well, then the irrelevance argument fades, because he's no longer "irrelevant" if he's popular with today's fans. But Inc's argument is based upon the belief that modern rock radio and fans of today won't embrace the album because Axl is out-of-touch, which is merely conjecture at this point.

Whether or not I enjoy any current GNR product is irrelevant to the point I'm making—and yes, I readily admit that the point is conjecture. Conjecture is also saying "this record will be huge," which has been said a few times in this thread.

No one could say that those songs that are popular today don't have a decade of hype and expectations behind them, but among the dumb 18 to 21-year-old girls who live in my college dorm, I would bet that the majority of them have no idea of the whole Chinese Democracy myth, but I'm sure they all have "November Rain" and "Sweet Child o' Mine" in their iTunes libraries and I could totally see them giving a new GNR record a chance, at least.

Being completely out of tune with the CD myth might as well go hand-in-hand with not caring much about the newest album from a band that has effectively been out of action for fifteen years. That's a lifetime in pop music; some casual music listener like you described—and which is basically a large part of the kind of people who listen to mainstream radio—may know those songs, but do you think they'd be able, if asked, to hum a few bars of "Mr. Brownstone?"

I downloaded a GnR album today called "Whenever It's Done." The track listing is:

Better, IRS, There Was a Time, Catcher in the Rye, Chinese Democracy, The Blues, Madagascar, Rhiad and the Bedouins, Oh My God and Silkworm.

Does anyone know which of these songs are on the new album, besides the obvious couple that I can pick out (CD, Catcher, Better)?

Yeah, all those are real.

Where can you find a track listing for the whole cd?

You can't. It hasn't been released yet. I'm not saying that all the songs you downloaded will be on the CD. In fact, there are several of them that I'm sure won't (Oh My God, Silkworms, Rhiad). But those are all real GNR songs that have either been released, leaked, or played live.

You can't. It hasn't been released yet. I'm not saying that all the songs you downloaded will be on the CD. In fact, there are several of them that I'm sure won't (Oh My God, Silkworms, Rhiad). But those are all real GNR songs that have either been released, leaked, or played live.

Ok, cool. I downloaded it from http://www.mp3sale.ru. It's listed under Guns 'n Roses bootleg, so you never know. I also got the new Meatloaf a week early, which by the way rocks!

Well, some sort of marketing has started at least. "Better" is in the new Harley Davidson commercial.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content...mp;locale=en_US

Umm... the one you linked to is "Paradise City".

I know. Harley put out the commercial too early apparently, and the Guns camp had them remove the Better commerical till they are ready for it to come out.

My city's paper (Dayton Daily News) in its entertainment pullout had under music coming out next week a listing for Chinese Democracy, any news that it's gonna drop on Tuesday?