TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

WWE announces 2007 DVDs

WWE is releasing a special Deluxe Edition of WrestleMania III on DVD. Here's the preview, taken from 411mania.com:

"WrestleMania III: The Championship Edition - See the biggest event in wrestling history in a whole new light. This digitally remastered version looks better than ever and features interviews with the Hulk Hogan, Vince McMahon, Ricky Steamboat, Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and many more of the legendary figures who were a part of this groundbreaking event. Video pop-ups throughout provide interesting facts about WrestleMania and the featured Superstars. Of course, all the great matches are here as well, including Hulk Hogan battling Andre the Giant for the WWE Championship and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat challenging "Macho Man" Randy Savage for the WWE Intercontinental title."

Sounds very interesting, following the example of all those movies than come out first as regular editions and then extra-packed ones.

do you really think wwe has any clue that pioneer even exists let alone had these out? anyhow since ythose are out of print by now, I guess it doesnt matter (I have a few of the pioneer vhs versions myself, extreme evolution, POD, barely legal, heatwave 98, and Anarchy Rulz 99)

I don't know if they are out of print because I have seen a couple of Pioneer releases down here. POD, Extreme Evolution, Wrestlepalooza 1997 & The Cactus Jack DVD.

That's something on 24/7, not a DVD.

Well I suppose it could be both, but the description is from next month's 24/7 schedule.

They are eventually releasing it as a DVD. I can't speak for the States' schedule, but it is coming to Canada as a 2-disc set later in the springtime.

Another interesting release around the same time that hasn't been mentioned is the re-release of Foley's last set, only it'll be three discs this time instead of two. The last disc will apparently have his more recent matches with Evolution, Orton, Edge, etc.

did anyone get that new ECW set?

I did. It's pretty much what you'd expect, although the alternate commentaries are fun. The Dreamer-Lee scaffold match has Dreamer/Coachman alternate commentary, and Taz-Sabu has Tazz/Styles, with Tazz being totally (and pretty hilariously) in character regarding Styles being a pain in the ass. Dreamer/Coachman commentary is fun, with Dreamer saying stuff that you wouldn't think you'd hear on a WWE release (such as Brian Lee being the Underfaker) and other neat tidbits (like Sandman building the scaffold for that match).

W00720X.JPG

Oh yes, it will be mine! Says March 6th is the release date on Shopzone.

Probably the best decision they've made in regards to DVD releases in the last few years. If they re-release every WrestleMania (even IX and XI and XV) like this, I will buy every single one. I've always wanted a 3 hour retrospective documentary about WrestleMania itself, much like the WrestleMania XIX doc that aired in 2004 and is on the WM XX DVD.

It's likely they're just re-releasing this particular Mania being that it is the 20th Anniversary of them being in Detroit. I seem to remember that was a particular theme they wanted to exploit for WM23. Still, it looks like another winner from WWE's dvd department.

It set an indoor attendance record, and to this date no sports-entertainment crowd has been bigger. Two of the biggest WrestleMania matches of all time took place, as well as countless additional memories. WrestleMania III was a worldwide phenomenon, and now this Championship Edition will allow fans to experience it in a whole new light, with a Championship Experience version of the event that gives fans pop-ups of extra tidbits and factoids. Fans will also enjoy exclusive extra matches and interviews never before released on DVD.

EDIT: That particular statement has piqued my interest big time. Wonder what matches they could possibly include?

W00720X.JPG

Oh yes, it will be mine! Says March 6th is the release date on Shopzone.

Probably the best decision they've made in regards to DVD releases in the last few years. If they re-release every WrestleMania (even IX and XI and XV) like this, I will buy every single one. I've always wanted a 3 hour retrospective documentary about WrestleMania itself, much like the WrestleMania XIX doc that aired in 2004 and is on the WM XX DVD.

The only other Wrestlemania's that can make serious money would be WM X and WM XII.

That particular statement has piqued my interest big time. Wonder what matches they could possibly include?

SNME matches or the buildup to the Savage/Steamboat "crushed throat" angle?

The only other Wrestlemania's that can make serious money would be WM X and WM XII.

WM VI, WM XIV, and WM X-7 could all do really well. WM I, V and VIII probably could as well.

WM X and WM XII would have the whole country of Canada buying it. And I'm still holding my breathe for the Championship Special Edition of the best of Randy Savage!

I read on another site that Meltzer's reporting WWE is planning to release a Mr. Perfect DVD some time this year.

OH FUCK YES!!!!!~!

DVDs- Once AGAIN, I do not know what DVDs will be released or when but I occasionally make suggestions to the powers that be. I can virtually assure you that a Mr. Perfect DVD will be released in 2007 but that is not etched in stone, more an educated guess.

Curt certainly deserves it and the stories from the wrestlers about “Perfecto” should be priceless.

- Jim Ross

And another reason to put a WarGames match on DVD.

hell we need a complete wargames dvd set, with all the matches on it (well maybe excpet for everything past stingers squadron vs the dangerous alliance )

but the wm3 dvd looks sweet, but if it is on 24/7 next month, then I could just record it on dvd.

I was gonna get the new years revolution dvd at work this weekend but I didnt get a chance.

On the subject of re-releases (sort of)...

Mick Foley's Greatest Hits & Misses DVD Set

Hardcore Edition!

A special collection of Mick Foley's matches and moments!

Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses traces the storied career of the Hardcore Legend, Mick Foley. Filled with matches hand-picked by Foley himself from every aspect of his career, including his stints as Cactus Jack, Mankind, and Dude Love. Bouts from WCW, ECW, SMW, and WWE are all present.

Special Hardcore Edition contains an all-new third DVD filled with Mick's more recent matches, including battles with Randy Orton, Edge, and his teaming with Edge for ECW One Night Stand.

Bonus features for the new DVD include alternative match commentary from Mick and the voice of ECW, Joey Styles. Fans will also enjoy the 90 minutes of DVD extras from the original package, including his classic promos and hilarious vignettes.

I read on another site that Meltzer's reporting WWE is planning to release a Mr. Perfect DVD some time this year.

There's many matches that people can debate about putting on Hennig's DVD, but they really, really, REALLY need to throw in that SNME promo in November '89 when Mr. Perfect DESTROYED Hulk Hogan's championship title. That was quite possibly the greatest promo Hennig ever gave in his career. It was, well, perfect.

There's many matches that people can debate about putting on Hennig's DVD, but they really, really, REALLY need to throw in that SNME promo in November '89 when Mr. Perfect DESTROYED Hulk Hogan's championship title. That was quite possibly the greatest promo Hennig ever gave in his career. It was, well, perfect.

Please elaborate (ie, Idon't remember it). Thanks.

Please elaborate (ie, Idon't remember it). Thanks.

Hogan's main program in late '89 was against Mr. Perfect, who had adopted The Genius (Lanny Poffo) as his advisor. At the beginning of that feud, Mr. Perfect would have a series of vignettes of him playing golf, basketball, horseshoes, amongst other things rather, well, perfectly, and saying, "Hulk Hogan, you can't do that." (Speaking of stuff they should throw into the DVD!...) Later on, in November '89, Hogan had a match against The Genius on SNME. It's a rather famous match that Hogan loses by countout thanks to eventually getting frustrated with Genius' different style, cheating by Genius and Perfect, and Perfect wiping out Hogan with Genius' scroll (or maybe it was the title, either or) outside the ring. (I believe you can find the match on YouTube in fact.) After Hogan got knocked out, Genius and Perfect escaped to the dressing room, but not before Perfect took Hogan's title and ran off.

Later on, in the show, they cut to the backstage area, where Gene Okerlund interviews the wrestlers, and we see Perfect kneeling on the ground, hammer in hand, and whacking away at the title, which is lying on the floor. Okerlund is in disbelief over this, wants to know what's going on, to which Perfect replies, "THIS HAS NEVER BEEN A PERFECT BELT, AND HULK HOGAN, YOU'RE NOT A PERFECT CHAMPION!" He, along with Genius, continue on, with other details, and while Genius is cocky and annoying, Perfect is angry and believing that something he was doing (destroying a well-regarded championship title) was right, in a way. It reminds me an awful lot of Cactus Jack's Cane Dewey promo, for that reason, in that the wrestler is firmly believing he's right, even if he's ridiculously in the wrong somehow. To me, this may have been the peak of Hennig's WWF heel run. Unfortunately, the Golden Era was well winding down, and the feud didn't draw as well as many Hogan feuds did. If this was maybe a year or two earlier, I think this feud would've been more memorable. Perfect and Genius stayed as a team and feuded with Brutus Beefcake starting at the Royal Rumble, and Hogan wound up crossing paths with Ultimate Warrior. I can't remember what happened to the latter. ;)