TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

NFL Discussion Forumtable

KC will go 7-9 thanks to some favorable matchups. (They should beat Houston, Minnesota, Green Bay, Detroit, Tennessee, and Oakland twice.)

I'll give you Houston, Detroit, and Oakland, but all the other games you mention here are far from gimmes.

I won't call them "gimmies", but Minnesota has a questionable passing game, Green Bay has a questionable running game, and Tennessee seems to have lost almost every quality player not named Vince Young.

In shocking news, Daunte Culpepper was informed by Miami that he will be traded before the season starts. I wonder how much they can get for a guy that they've all but buried ever since he got there. When you fall behind Cleo Lemon on the depth chart, your market value tends to go down.

I'd like to see the Raiders offer a late round pick for him and see if they can't salvage something while Russell learns the ropes.

So who mucked up their QB position worse this offseason, Houston or Miami? Both teams made huge spectacles for months before settling on talent that probably doesn't upgrade them that much, devaluing their incumbents in the process.

Miami.

Yes, Houston fucked some shit up with Carr... but come on, we're not having to go thru the drama that Miami is goin thru right now.

So yeah, give us a break... please?

In shocking news, Daunte Culpepper was informed by Miami that he will be traded before the season starts. I wonder how much they can get for a guy that they've all but buried ever since he got there. When you fall behind Cleo Lemon on the depth chart, your market value tends to go down.

I'd like to see the Raiders offer a late round pick for him and see if they can't salvage something while Russell learns the ropes.

So who mucked up their QB position worse this offseason, Houston or Miami? Both teams made huge spectacles for months before settling on talent that probably doesn't upgrade them that much, devaluing their incumbents in the process.

Culpepper makes too much money to go to the Raiders without re-negotiating his contract, which he's said he won't do if the Dolphins trade him

I could see him ending up there, but it'll be after he forces Miami to cut him instead of risking a training-camp injury.

If detroit doesn't go after Culpepper with those two recievers they have in Williams and johnson...I just don't know what to say for that franchise.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Please Detroit, put a one legged QB behind that line for the Bears. That would be...too perfect.

Please Detroit, put a one legged QB behind that line for the Bears. That would be...too perfect.

Unlike last year when he was told to sit his ass down and he tried to play anyway, he actually has a clean bill of health this year. So basically the Dolphins traded for him when he was injured then traded him away when he got well. Brilliant!

Ripper makes a good point. Everyone thought the Dolphins got a steal last year when they added an injured Culpepper and he ended up being a bust. Now he's healthy (maybe) and everyone thinks he's cooked. I think Daunte will end up being a nice player for whatever team picks him up. He won't be a Pro Bowl caliber player anymore, but he could be an upgrade for a bunch of teams out there.

I think he will be the feast or famine player he always was. Sometimes he will put up monstrous numbers and make people think he is great, and then sometimes he will put up those 5 interception games because he believes he can put the ball where ever the fuck he wants.

But if you have a guy that is proven with big play receivers and you have TWO of them, I say go for him. Who is the starter in Detroit anyway? Kitna again?

I think he will be the feast or famine player he always was. Sometimes he will put up monstrous numbers and make people think he is great, and then sometimes he will put up those 5 interception games because he believes he can put the ball where ever the fuck he wants.

He's going to be Brett Favre?

Detroit already has their supposed QB of the future in Stanton, and a guy who mentored Carson Palmer into a successful QB with Kitna. QB isn't really the problem with Detroit, they have more pressing concerns with:

*Defense - They were one of the worst units last year (30th by defensive DVOA). Their pass defense and rush defense both ranked at the bottom of the league, and they lost their only playmaker in the secondary with Dre Bly leaving.

*Rushing - They ranked last in the league in rushing by DVOA, plus Kevin Jones has a Lisfranc injury and is probably hobbled for this season. Their rushing game was pretty bad even with Jones, though this was probably a combination of the Martz offense not relying on runs (more short passes to Jones) and....

*O-Line - Their line was a disaster last year. Put Culpepper (who is now immobile and always loved to fumble in Minnesota) behind that line and he'll get murdered to death. Vick might be alright here, since he can scramble and the receivers should be good enough to adjust to his inaccurate passes. But Culpepper, not really.

Yes Kitna is still the starter and the coaching staff seems to be in love with him (Stanton and Orlovsky are the current backups). Looking at the Lions' forums, it sounds like the fans would rather roll with Kitna than take a flier on Culpepper. He did throw for 4,000 yds. last year but had a shitload of turnovers as well. Detroit did bring in some O-linemen and RB's in addition to Calvin Johnson so hopefully that helps Kitna cut down his TO's.

In even more shocking news, Dante Culpepper injured his left hand Wednesday night in a car crash.

God does not want this man to play football.

Guest Vitamin X

Well at least he doesn't throw left-handed.. but it would cause him to fumble possibly even more than usual.

Guest Vitamin X
Union complaints prompt cancellation of Raiders workouts

June 15, 2007

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) -- The Oakland Raiders canceled the final week of their offseason training program Friday after complaints from the NFL players' union about the intensity of the practices.

In a brief statement, coach Lane Kiffin said the players' union believes the Raiders' offseason program violated league rules on practice standards.

"The union has complained about the high level of intensity, player aggressiveness and fast pace of our practices and, as a result, has taken away the final week of our offseason program," said Kiffin, the NFL's youngest and least experienced head coach.

The Raiders won't hold next week's scheduled offseason activities, which were expected to be mostly weightlifting sessions.

Oakland wrapped up a voluntary minicamp on Wednesday under Kiffin, a former assistant coach at Southern California. He had just one season of NFL training camp experience as an assistant in Jacksonville in 2000.

The Raiders' training camp opens July 27 in Napa.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!

Jim Finn had shoulder surgery and is out for the year, but the Giants were going to cut him anyway.

Are they fucking serious? Leonard fell to their laps in round 2 and they blew right past him. The backfield is a mess right now, and this just sucks more and more.

Pacman is at it again:

'Pacman' Jones sought for questioning in shooting

By S.A. Reid

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/18/07

Troubled NFL star Adam "Pacman" Jones is wanted for questioning in a shooting early Monday that left one man with minor injuries.

Police said this morning the suspended Tennessee Titans defensive back is not a suspect in the shooting on the 300 block of Moreland Avenue south of I-285 near Conley in Clayton County.

"[Jones] is not a suspect in the shooting, his vehicle wasn't seen, but we do feel he could give us some guidance on who the suspects are," said Deputy Chief Michael Burrows.

Police have not spoken to Jones or his agent, said Burrows, but Jones did release a statement to the media saying he was not involved in the shooting.

Burrows said witnesses at Club Blaze, a Moreland Avenue strip club, have told police Jones was at the club and that he and his entourage were involved in an argument at about 4:15 a.m. with a group of three men. The argument concerned a dancer at the club, police said.

After the argument, witnesses overheard Jones, a Clayton County native, said he was going to get a gun, police said.

He then left in a black Cadillac Escalade, witnesses told police.

But, when the men with whom they argued left the club in a Toyota Sequoia, Jones's entourage followed them in two vehicles police identified as a green Dodge Charger and a black Pontiac Grand Prix.

A few blocks away from the club near I-285, the victims told police the men in Jones' entourage pulled alongside their vehicle on Moreland Avenue and opened fire. The men returned fire, they told police. Their vehicle was struck seven times, but only one minor injury was reported. Another nearby vehicle was also struck and suffered damage to its windshield.

No charges have been filed in the case.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah that's quite a retarded list. The biggest issue it has is with the merging of all the positions together. It's difficult to judge whether say, a singular offensive lineman is "better" or more valuable than a safety, and that seems to presume it. Two completely different positions.

I mean, who the hell is that Raiders safety? What makes Andre Johnson the 14th best player in the league? Champ Bailey the most valuable defensive player? Christ. There's so many things wrong with that, I don't know where to start. Oh, and Frank Gore is the third best running back in the NFL right behind LT and Larry Johnson... then again, looking over the stat lists from last year, he did place third in overall yardage. Man, the quality after the first few elite backs has really been dropping off over the years, or at least their importance in winning games.

We do seem to do a top 5/top 10 list every year for each position (I always tend to start the QB part off with my Favre homering- of which I still think he's a top 10 QB, maybe not top 5, but certainly top 10). Maybe we could do our own version here.

Asomugha ranked fifth against #1 WR's last year. The only ones better being Chicago, Jacksonville, Baltimore and Green Bay, who all have considerably better secondaries than Oakland.

And I don't know if you were including Gore in the "quality dropoff" backs, but Gore is already a huge factor in any success that the 49ers will potentially have, and have had already.