TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

Wrestling Society X (WSX)

The opening match was fantastic, and was what Impact's X matches should be. The battle royale was way too frenetic for my taste, and I thought the explosions were extra hokey. I hope the remaining shows gravitate more towards that Sydal - Evans match style, 'cause that was what I want in a wrestling show. Oh, and Teddy Hart's a douche bag. Completely no-selling just about everything, what a tool. Hasn't learned a thing in three years of getting kicked out of fed after fed.

I just saw the pilot on youtube and thought it was awful. Over the top for the sake of being over the top. If you think TNA and ECW are rushed, then look no further than WSX.

If WSX keeps it down to the basics of nothing but "holy shit" flips onto the tables and balcony dives and ignoring the need for on location shoots or anything that resembles storylines then it will ok. Just look at it this way its MTV's attempt to make JACKASS into a pro wrestling program there is no need for rhyme or reason for the crazy shit that is going on in the ring its just a group of guys doing flips and using "hardcore weapons". I'm extremely surprised at the set from the pilot looking so damn cheap it looked like they borrowed the ring from the local wrestling school and decided not to spend any money on ring aprons, mats, ropes, or turnbuckles that could of been used to make people notice the brand name.

Im watchin the replay on youtube, the camera angles are makin me dizzy at times, theres no need to keep changing the angle!

Although, i am enjoying it, im loving the stupid over the top introductions with that douchebag running around the ring with the drop down mic. Its well MTV and for some reason, i love it.

First thoughts, I want to stab the guy with Mr. Kennedy's mic and Valentina is wearing waaaay too much clothing.

All in all, it wasn't a bad way to waste 20 minutes watching "wrestling".

If WSX keeps it down to the basics of nothing but "holy shit" flips onto the tables and balcony dives and ignoring the need for on location shoots or anything that resembles storylines then it will ok. Just look at it this way its MTV's attempt to make JACKASS into a pro wrestling program there is no need for rhyme or reason for the crazy shit that is going on in the ring its just a group of guys doing flips and using "hardcore weapons". I'm extremely surprised at the set from the pilot looking so damn cheap it looked like they borrowed the ring from the local wrestling school and decided not to spend any money on ring aprons, mats, ropes, or turnbuckles that could of been used to make people notice the brand name.

From what I understand, the intention was to make it look dirty and underground.

I fear for the guys getting staph infections. And you who would be perfect for WSX, Sonjay Dutt hell I bet the sprinkler move would get over there.

I loved this show. It was like the most indy-tastic thing ever and didn't take itself too seriously. I didn't read a single thing about it before hand, so I marked when I saw some of the random guys like X-Pac, Jesus, and f'n NEW JACK.

I was almost hoping that the former X-Factor partners would square off for this new title.

After finally seeing a full episode, I'd have to say that while it was very backyardish, it was still quite a show. It didn't take itself seriously and that's crucial given the explosions and high risk stunts. Hopefully it makes a little dent in the ratings to give WWE some motivation although I doubt it even pops 0.5.

After finally seeing a full episode, I'd have to say that while it was very backyardish, it was still quite a show. It didn't take itself seriously and that's crucial given the explosions and high risk stunts. Hopefully it makes a little dent in the ratings to give WWE some motivation although I doubt it even pops 0.5.

The completely unadvertised preview airing last Friday in the dead man's land timeslot of 11:00 pm pulled a 0.43.

Just watched it. This shit is crazy. It shouldn't even be classified as wrestling. Like other people said, it's basically a live video game. Although the whole thing was fucking insane, I really enjoyed it. Everything is over the top. The "live wire" and the "barbed wire with explosions" was just retarded. But i REALLY can't wait till they bring out the "piranha". That tank looked like the ones that little kids have and you pour a gelatin inside and stick plastic fish in it.

It was good to see some people i recognize and have heard of before there. I'll probably watch it again... That is if i even remember that it's on.

Man this was kinda like a train wreck in so many ways. It sort of falls under the "so bad it's good" category. I enjoyed some of the wrestlers athleticism. This is pretty much what we all expected. There'll be constant reruns so I'll probably catch every episode.

Of course, you cannot label this as a legit wrestling promotion. It's just purely for entertainment value. It's so over the top that it got a little corny, especially with the "electrified cages" and stuff. I popped huge for Zakk Wylde on commentary. That's cool that they actually invite the musical talent to commentary booth....though he didn't know what to say...which was GREAT. I also liked how they knew the history of each wrestler in the ring, as they highlighted what belts they have held, and even during commentary, they mentioned their past (like 6-Pac being in D-Generation X)...

...I agree..it's so bad it's GOOD....

What the shit? Im not allowed to watch the video on MTV overdrive because im not in America.

It'll probably hit YouTube in a few days, that's where I watched the first episode. and yes it's a little goofy and "MTV-ized" but the Sydal/Evans match was entertaining and most of the main event was cool - seeing Justin Credible do something other than work at Target, Vampiro looking pretty good and all

and the fact that the only guy who seemed to get an instant negative reaction before doing anything at all was 6-Pac who is blessed with the incredible "Go away you annoying toerag" kinda heat that he seems to convince promoters is legit, money drawing heel heat LOL.

I was entertained - that'll do for me, let other federations be about psychology and selling and story telling in the ring, bring on the spot-tastics.

Side Note: You can also use a US Based proxy to watch the video - I do it all the time, it's dead easy with FireFox

Guest DogOn
I was entertained - that'll do for me, let other federations be about psychology and selling and story telling in the ring, bring on the spot-tastics.

Are you referring to WWE and TNA as being about psychology and story telling?

Over the top hilarity. I felt like they should just have one side of the ring with a trampoline to do even higher, crazier moves. If you are going to go this far over the top, you might as well go the rest of the way.

Course Six-Pac wasn't an original member of DX or the NWO. Unless he was actually Hollywood Hogan and Chyna in disguise.

Ive just finished watchin the first epidsode, and i think i might add that to my list of guilt pleasures.

It was so bad it was awesome! The explosions around ringside where a stroke of genius and the whole thing reaked of an MTV-ised ECW. It was so over the top, i just loved every moment of it.

I cant see it going the distance, but it will be a really nice flash in the pan.

Side Note: You can also use a US Based proxy to watch the video - I do it all the time, it's dead easy with FireFox

I apperciate the help, but that really went over my head. Proxy? Firefox?

Ive just finished watchin the first epidsode, and i think i might add that to my list of guilt pleasures.

It was so bad it was awesome! The explosions around ringside where a stroke of genius and the whole thing reaked of an MTV-ised ECW. It was so over the top, i just loved every moment of it.

I cant see it going the distance, but it will be a really nice flash in the pan.

I apperciate the help, but that really went over my head. Proxy? Firefox?

Proxy:

Web

Proxies that attempt to block offensive web content are implemented as web proxies. Other web proxies reformat web pages for a specific purpose or audience; for example, Skweezer reformats web pages for cell phones and PDAs. Network operators can also deploy proxies to intercept computer viruses and other hostile content served from remote web pages.

A special case of web proxies are "CGI proxies." These are web sites that allow a user to access a site through them. They generally use PHP or CGI to implement the proxying functionality. CGI proxies are frequently used to gain access to web sites blocked by corporate or school proxies. Since they also hide the user's own IP address from the web sites they access through the proxy, they are sometimes also used to gain a degree of anonymity, called "Proxy Avoidance."

Firefox is a web browser. You can get it here. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

PRO's:

• Atmosphere. As just about everybody's said, this is essentially a live-action version of Def Jam Vendetta. And it WORKS. The atmosphere is wonderful, from the split entrances (one an actual entrance curtain, the other just a set of steps going over stacked drywall and pallets) to Fabian (who I believe is GQ Money from XPW, which means he BETTER bring back the Clockwork Orange attire) going nuts on the pull-down mic...it just works so well.
  • Talent. WSX essentially features a "who's who" of spot-tastic indy talent, with some over-the-hill talent that has some name value still in stock (Justin Credible, Syxx-Pac, and Vampiro) to lend SOME shreds of credibility. And there's enough variation in the talent and over-the-top gimmicks to pretty much differentiate everybody from one another.
  • Flow. The show flowed freely with no downtime, not even Youth Suicide's introduction where he just walked around with his bucket o' tacks and his stupid Capone hat.
CON's:
  • Editing. Really...did we need to cut to a different angle - half of them not even of the talent in the ring - every 3 seconds? I started counting between each cut, and I never got to over 4. NEVER. That's fine and dandy when capturing different angles of the same event, but not when you cut randomly to some stupid ugly dude in the front row wearing a Supreme shirt jumping up and down going "YEAH!!!!"
  • Talent. The pro is also the con, but for a different reason. I don't see the talent really worth watching getting enough time to truly display their abilities.
  • Matches. If the show was even just a half hour longer, we could get another match or two in, or make the two being shown a little bit longer. That might go against everything MTV stands for (making their audience watch the same thing for more than 20 minutes), but if they want to attract ANY wrestling fans...that's the way to really go.
  • Commentary. Kris Kloss works. He's so fucking terrible and over-the-top, and such a bad parody of Joey Styles, that he just WORKS. But this Bret Ernst...laaaaame. No charisma, looks like that comedian who Randall made throw-up by dissing LotR in Clerks II, and forces the heel commentary too hard. Forcing it isn't the bad part, but forcing it without any semblance of humor or emotion is. Guest commentary is fun, but it'd work even better if the musician(s) acting as guests spoke more (especially if they know their wrestling a little bit).
Overall, WSX is a horrible show. It's like XPW, but without the ultraviolence and with the over-the-top cartoonish Tom & Jerry violence. Not too bad, and I won't mind watching it (which I haven't been able to say about anything WWE in over a year, and even Impact is starting to bore me pretty bad now).

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=22683&p=1

DEBUT RATING FOR MTV WRESTLING SOCIETY X & MORE

by Mike Johnson @ 5:20:00 PM on 1/31/2007

The debut of MTV's Wrestling Society X last night scored a 1.0 rating. I haven't yet heard the audience share. That's a really impressive debut rating, especially considering it was running up against the second half of ECW on SciFi (which usually does around 1.5).

In my opinion, WSX should send Vince McMahon flowers because the way he trash talked the original ECW and its fans likely only helped WSX's cause, specificially since it featured several former ECW regulars, tables, ladders, crazy highspots, explosions, etc., all things that would in theory attract former ECW fans that WWE doesn't provide for with their "revitalized" version of the company.

Jack Evans will be appearing tonight to discuss WSX on www.InYourHeadOnline.com.

The first edition of WSXtra is online now at www.WSX.MTV.com. Our own Richard Trionfo has his report up here on the main page of PWInsider.com.

I only caught the first match and the battle royal. It was an entertaining show, if nothing else. For some reason, this show seems like it's trying to cash in on the "action and sex" aspects that early ECW was pushing for. Which, if you're going for the 18-34 demographic, is probably the best way to go. More action! More chicks!

If they're going to keep having musical guests do commentary, they should really have the Insane Clown Posse on, because those guys really know their wrestling and are funny as hell.

They already got the cartoon violence might as well bring in the clowns. What ICP says on commentary won't be any different than what done on "Viva La Wedding" or the typical rap video.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=22683&p=1

DEBUT RATING FOR MTV WRESTLING SOCIETY X & MORE

by Mike Johnson @ 5:20:00 PM on 1/31/2007

The debut of MTV's Wrestling Society X last night scored a 1.0 rating. I haven't yet heard the audience share. That's a really impressive debut rating, especially considering it was running up against the second half of ECW on SciFi (which usually does around 1.5).

In my opinion, WSX should send Vince McMahon flowers because the way he trash talked the original ECW and its fans likely only helped WSX's cause, specificially since it featured several former ECW regulars, tables, ladders, crazy highspots, explosions, etc., all things that would in theory attract former ECW fans that WWE doesn't provide for with their "revitalized" version of the company.

Jack Evans will be appearing tonight to discuss WSX on www.InYourHeadOnline.com.

The first edition of WSXtra is online now at www.WSX.MTV.com. Our own Richard Trionfo has his report up here on the main page of PWInsider.com.

How many more threads are you planning on posting this?

This was the first wrestling show I've watched in about a year.

It was SO BAD that I enjoyed it.