TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

What did you eat today?

Guest Vitamin X

You should get a crockpot and ask the butcher to hook it up with some marinade. Let it marinade, then cook it in the crock for 4 hours or so on high. I did this with a London Broil once when it was snowing and I was bored to tears, and it fed me for a couple days.

Here's my typical eating pattern for a day where my girlfriend and I don't eat out:

1. Breakfast

-One or two cups of coffee with skim milk. We buy bags of whole beans at Costco and then grind them at home. The skim milk is to cool the coffee down a bit, plus I like the added smoothness.

and one of the following:

-A cup of cereal (right now I'm eating a corn flakes/Macadamia nut/cranberry cereal from Costco, I also really like Peace Cereals, especially Maple Pecan) with a cup of skim milk. This is my usual "just woke up and have to be at work/school in an hour" breakfast.

-A spinach and cheese omlette consisting of 2 eggs, a handful of baby spinach, and some cheese grated on top. Sometimes this ends up wrapped in a fresh tortilla. Everything is cooked in either olive oil or fat-free cooking spray. I eat this if I have just come back from a morning run and/or weightlifting session.

2. Lunch

-A Lean Pocket. This is my crappy food for the day, because it's processed and contains a bunch of mediocre ingredients, along with too much sodium. But it's fast, low in fat, and low calorie. I can make it in my office and eat while working on other stuff.

3. Snack (post-afternoon workout)

-A big piece of cheese and a handful of raw almonds. Occasionally something else if it's around, like hummus, blueberries, and other fruits.

4. Dinner

-A roasted, baked, barbequed, or poached lean meat, usually chicken breast or salmon. Occasionally chicken sausages for something cheaper and quicker.

-A serving of starch, usually in the form of cous-cous. Occasional substitutes here include whole wheat naan bread, fresh tortillas, and sweet potatoes.

-Lots of vegetables, usually some combination of roasted carrots, boiled peas, and steamed or boiled broccoli. cauliflower, and mixed vegetables.

-A glass of homemade iced tea, sweetened with lemon slices.

-A bowl of sorbet, low-fat sherbet, or some other kind of ice cream type dessert.

I've had some walleye (my favorite fish) sitting in the freezer since a buddy's fishing trip a few months ago. I've never eaten the stuff outside of a restaurant. Any suggestions on how to prepare it, other than the old "bread and fry" method?

I woke up late this morning, so I didn't get a shot at making a good breakfast like I've been doing since getting up early once again became part of my life. Subsequently, I had:

- Grilled chicken fajita w/ avocado, dab of fat-free sour cream, yellow pepper, chili sauce (can't remember the brand, but you'll find it in the international food aisle and damn, is it amazing)

- Turkey sandwich on whole wheat w/ aforementioned chili sauce, tomato, and honey mustard

- Chili w/ extra lean ground beef, chopped garlic and onion, orange, red, and yellow peppers, various spices

- Almond shake (six ounces of Calorie Countdown milk, 10 almonds, two scoops chocolate whey protein, Splenda, tablespoon Ovaltine, lots of ice cubes)

The ice in the shake makes the consistency more like an actual milkshake. I need to ditch the Ovaltine and find something else, though, because I hate Ovaltine.

Guest Tzar Lysergic
I've had some walleye (my favorite fish) sitting in the freezer since a buddy's fishing trip a few months ago. I've never eaten the stuff outside of a restaurant. Any suggestions on how to prepare it, other than the old "bread and fry" method?

Sautee pan with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of citrus. That's it.

Guest Vitamin X
chili sauce (can't remember the brand, but you'll find it in the international food aisle and damn, is it amazing)

Sriracha? Looks like this?

1335_default.jpg

Yes, yes, oh god yes. I was too lazy to go to the fridge last night and check.

And Matt, that's not all one meal. That's spread out through the day, though reading the post again, I can see how that would be misunderstood. I'm generally eating meals between 300 and 400 calories six or seven times a day. Though tonight involved some pizza. And tomorrow we're tailgating at seven in the morning for the first and last time this season, so I expect the day to be filled with all sorts of bad nutritional choices.

Guest Vitamin X

Yes that chili sauce is something else. It cannot be beat, it instantly adds flavor when I'm out of teriyaki sauce and I'm making one of my little rice bowls (which includes veggies and rice and whatever else is sticking around the fridge).

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I use a LOT of that stuff, too. Wife's a soup fiend, and I make a nice simple hot n sour with that, rice vinegar, onions, water chestnuts, garlic, citrus, and a little soy.

I'm really on this simple foods kick. If it has double-digit ingredients, it probably shouldn't.

That's the best part about it, to me. I've had no trouble finding flavorful condiments, but they're usually packed with sodium. This stuff is low sodium, virtually no calories and the ingredients are things you can pronounce.

Coincidentally, I'm heading out to a party in a little bit, needed some food, but nothing that's going to bloat me up. So I threw the remainders of a bag of deli turkey onto a plate, added a dab of low-fat mayo and a nice blotch of Sriracha. Good eating.

Guest Vitamin X

I stopped buying salad dressing altogether when I realized I make an amazing vinaigrette with stuff I always have at home, and discovering the versatility of vinegar. I just toss in some olive oil, honey, dijon mustard, and pomegranate red wine vinegar and it's damn, damn good.

Guest Vitamin X

Soyrizo is possibly the best meat substitute thing out there. I stopped eating most of that stuff outside of a couple convenience foods, but that shit is amazing.

Speaking of which, I made tofu meatballs for my dinner tonight and they actually came out pretty good. It was basically drained, pressed, and mashed tofu (which I think was a few days away from expiring and was already getting that stinky smell- anyone who eats the stuff knows what I'm talking about and the gag reflex that comes with it!) with a shitload of spices, onion, and some flour to hold it all together. You just make like 24 balls of the stuff bake it in the oven for about 20 minutes, then toss some tomato sauce on there and bake it a bit more and they came out pretty damn good. I'm a huge meatball fan, and these were probably better than a lot of meatballs I've had in the past, I guess mostly because this one had so many spices that it had more flavor than ground beef meatballs which don't usually rely on that much. This came out good enough I might try to make a tofuloaf some time- it certainly eliminates the whole issue of having overly processed stuff.

I had some tuna sandwiches for lunch today which were kind of unspectacular, but also made some cold-brewed iced coffee overnight and I had my homemade mixed berry soda with dinner tonight (okay it was blue and blackberries, but man this shit is good!).

By the way, here's how to make my favorite little vinaigrette: 1 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar, 1 or 2 tsp of dijon mustard, 1 tsp of honey. Dash of salt and a bit of black pepper to taste, and mix it up for a while. Some people might think mixing those ingredients except for the olive oil first, then drizzling in the oil while mixing would make a better dressing, but I'm not entirely sure about that; this works just fine for me. This is a really tangy, yet sweet sauce that goes well on any salad and even some sandwiches as well.

I ate a bag of Heath bars and 2 bowls of ceral, 3 hours later I had 12 Spicy Garlic wings, and a deep fried snickers and ice cream desert came home and ate a bowl of stuffing. Polished off some M+Ms and 2 liters of soda during the evening.

Raided the kitchen for crackers, milk and other munchies as desired.

Not my best day for healthy eating............

Today was a really poor day for me eating wise. I had (as they come to my mind): roast chicken, salt and vinegar crisps, a sausage, mashed potato, and some chocolate... which I virtually never eat. Yeah.

Dinner was all kinds of yum. Took chicken strips and coated them in Tex-Mex seasoning, pan fried those suckers up then laid 'em on a bed of Spanish rice and drizzled nacho cheese sauce all over the ma'fucka. Even better is that I have leftovers.

The girlfriend made breakfast this morning. Homemade pancakes, eggs, bacon and toast. I "helped" by helpfully providing instructions on the use of the electric griddle (something she had never used for eggs before) and answering work emails on the laptop.

Had subway for dinner. Didn't feel like cooking, so I got an Italian BMT with provolone, mayo, lettuce, olives, green peppers and onions. I listened to a SModcast while I ate.

The Greek Orthodox church around the corner from me had their annual Greekfest today. I had two gyros, chicken souvlaki, a small slice of a small Greek pizza, and a small baklava sundae. There was a very long wait on roasted lamb, and some of the other lines were way too long. I am going to try to get some of the stuff I wanted tomorrow, like spanikopita, lamb, and about 10 other items. I love Greekfest.

For breakfast I had erm, some kind of cereal that I forget the name of. It's chocolate anyway. For lunch I ate a cheese sandwich. Tea was a glorious Indian, the contents of which were as follows:

Pilau rice

Meat holding namb bread

Onion bargee

Lamb dupe yatsa

Lamb balti

Vindaloo

A good day for eating, I would say.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Got a nice deal on these cute little flank steaks I did in the pan, and then buried them in this three mushroom ragout:

Dried morels (softened in boiling water)

Button mushrooms

Chopped up big fucking Portabella cap

3 medium shallots

olive oil

butter

salt n pepper

Easy. Just sautee the shallots and then mushrooms in the meat pan with some olive oil and butter, season, and thicken the mixture with some melted butter and a little flour. Dump it over the meat.

On Monday I attempted to do a roast prime rib. Since it was Canadian Thanksgiving, there was some time to plan ahead so I "dry aged" the meat based on something I saw on Good Eats. Basically, rinse the meat, pat it dry, then wrap in paper towels and put it in the fridge for a minimum 24 hours, replacing the towels every 12 hours or so.

Day of, I set the oven to 250F, coated meat with olive oil and my basic rub (2 salt, 2 pepper, 1 garlic powder, 1 cayenne) stuck in the roast (on a roasting pan), and let it cook until I got an internal temperature of 160F (medium, theoretically). Took the meat out, covered it and let it rest while I cooked some potatoes etc. at 375. Towards the end, I stuck the meat back in at for about 15-20min. After, took the meat out again, cranked the oven to 500 (I also did the gravy at this point using the drippings) and stuck the meat back in for 15 min (Last step is optional, but develops an amazing crust). Took out and let it rest for 10 minutes before carving.

End result - a seriously delicious and tender piece of meat. Wouldn't recommend doing this every weekend since the total cooking time was around 4 hours, but you wanna do something special, this would definitely qualify and overall it wasn't a whole lot of work - it's just the time required that makes it seem tedious.