TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest "Go, Mordecai!"

What did you eat today?

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Yesterday I ate a wedge of St. Andre and a whole package of mini toasts with some anchovies and olives.

Every time I think about it, it surprises me how rarely I eat breakfast in the morning. I've often said I would happily eat breakfast-y foods at every meal for the rest of my life.

Today, I got up at noon, thanks to being on afternoons at work all week. I had a grilled chicken breast smothered in salsa and a glass of milk for lunch and about two o'clock, and bacon, eggs, and toast for supper at 7ish.

Guest Vitamin X

Oh, I love breakfast foods at any time of the day. The reason you should eat them at the beginning is more for health reasons than anything, since breakfast foods tend to be very caloric and generally pretty hefty, enough to get you through the day.

And on the topic:

Breakfast: Coffee with some cream. Yeah look at me skipping that own rule.

Lunch: Chile Relleno burrito with some water.

Dinner: Papaya Salad with half a roasted game hen, sticky rice and shrimp chips. Water to drink. Pretty good stuff, actually.

Guest Vitamin X

About the only thing I ate today was a pizza from Domino's. Had an incredibly busy day with school and all this other jazz, and my mom's coming into town on Wednesday so I didn't want to make a mess in the kitchen. Tried one of their new "America's Favorites" pizzas, and modified it a bit because I was indecisive between the Philly Cheesesteak and Fiery Hawaiian. So I ended up with: Green Pepper, Bacon, Philly Steak, Jalapeno, Red Pepper, Tabasco Sauce, and Provolone on a "Brooklyn style" crust with a white garlic sauce. I ended up eating the whole fucking thing and that was all I ate today.

I have to say, it was probably the best pizza I ever ate from there and I worked there for a couple years. It helps that I was starving as I was devouring it, and it had the perfect balance of savory and spicy to me, but it was fuckin' great. Domino's has an incredible amount of options now with their pizza compared to in the past- they have four different kinds of sauces, new toppings, all sorts of interesting stuff. Since the one by my house/school also does a $5.99 carryout special for a 1-topping large (additional toppings $1 extra), I may have to stop by there a couple more times a week and save myself the work since it's a hell of a busy time for me.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

On the other side of the coin, I'm positively made of time these days, and as a result, have been voyaging through the culinary waters of Austria, Hungary, and Germany.

I've been making schnitzels and goulash and paprikash like crazy, and I'm fairly certain that this is my favorite type of cuisine. It's not all heavy, either! Chicken paprikash is really bright and spicy. I did a schnitzel with a duck breast, and then fried the skin separately to render the fat for my sauce. Fuckin' nummy.

Guest Vitamin X

I really need to brush up on my Bavarian eats. Anything with duck fat is fuckin' great.

Although lately I've been trying to work on my mastery of Cuban cooking. With my mom coming into town soon, that should help me out quite a bit. I've gotten plenty of garlic, green pepper, and onion stocked up and ready to go for it, and a whole spring chicken ready to be made into pollo asado too.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Its best to stick to one's roots, I'm finding. As much as I loved my curry phase, and like the food, something about making some kind of coconut curry or spicy prawns just feels kind of...off. Root vegetables, fowl, and terrestrial meats are my essence.

My Pork Schnitzel

If you're more familiar with "scallopini" it's very nearly the same thing.

Start with some nice thick chops. Pound them very thin until they're about a centimeter thick and kind of flimsy on the edges. Do this with plastic wrap above and below the cut, or else you're going to have pig shrapnel on your countertop.

Dust the cuts with a little flour and some spicy paprika.

Get some lighter olive oil and a little butter in a screaming hot pan, and sear the meat. Expect fireworks.

It should happen pretty quickly, so don't cook the juices out of the chops. Remove them.

Reduce the heat, render the fat out of some bacon, and then add a proportional amount of mirepoix, a blob of garlic, and let it cook until the liquid is out of the veggies. At this point, deglaze with some stock, a cup or two of a really sturdy red wine, a bouquet garni, and a little more butter. Let this reduce greatly.

When the sauce has reduced to half of what you started with, strain, and pour over the meat. Eat it with a big piece of dark bread.

This can be done with any kind of meat, essentially. If you're doing it with a bird, render the skin to get more fat for the sauce. I'd use bacon with beef, too, unless the steaks were fat enough to start with.

Guest Vitamin X

I made a roast chicken on the last day my mom was here before she left, around last Sunday or Monday. These are pretty awesome because I'm trying to figure out how to push out as many leftovers as I can from one dish, and it turns out the whole "Sunday Roast" idea is really great- grandpas and grandmas had it right. Last night I took some of the chicken meat- as I mentioned in the other thread I didn't really carve it very well, but some of the meat came off in nice, whole chunks and the resat just ended up being kind of shredded. I saved the nice big chunks in the fridge, and the shredded stuff I blackened with a few pieces of pancetta on my cast-iron then I steamed some broccoli, cooked up some fettucini, and then put them all together. Made enough for about 3 servings actually, the last of which I just ate. And it's cool because I still have some chicken left over for a salad or whatever if I get hungry tonight or for tomorrow. This is good for me since the farmer's market is starting up again in a couple weeks, and I can buy some farm fresh stuff now which will taste better and I'll still be economical with it all. This past one was a small spring chicken that was like $5 at the store.

Oh I also had some poached eggs on buttered toast with a couple slices of bacon on the side for breakfast with some orange juice to drink. Good day for eating.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Sausage Sunday:

Found some wicked little smoked pork sausages at my local butcher, bought four pounds of them, and made it an event. These were about 5 inches long and 3/4 in diameter.

1. Butter and olive oil. Salt and pepper.

2. Butter and olive oil. Salt and pepper. Horseradish. Lemon Juice. Parsley.

3. Rendered bacon. Fried shredded cabbage with vinegar. Salt and Pepper.

4. Sausage sandwich: Sausage Phase 1 on sourdough bread with sharp cheddar, chives, and a little sour cream.

5. Skewered sausages seared on my grill pan, brushed with mustard. In a small saucepan, cooked finely chopped shallots and garlic with tomato paste, beef broth, brown sugar, horseradish, and more brown mustard. Ate it on more fried cabbage, with home fries.

All washed down with a bottle of Delirium Tremens. Went into a coma at about 11 PM.