TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewTS

100 reasons why Sega is/was stupid.

We should start a Nintendo one soon :P

I'll be ready, willing and able to debate at least half of all the reasons listed. Like the N64 cartridge thing. If I can defend that, I can defend anything!

You don't have to say "defend," just rationalize, and there were good reasons why it was rational at the time. They'd watched Sega crash and burn with the media themselves, so yeah it's not too surprising, just unfortunate. They feared piracy as well, and honestly there was lots of piracy with PS1, but it didn't hurt Sony much. However, Sega and the Dreamcast...

Nintendo does need to learn, though, is that just because Sega ****ed it up, doesn't mean that it's a bad idea. It's just that Sega is a gigantic **** up of a company.

There are very few outright stupid things that Nintendo did. Virtual Boy and, if things don't pan out soon with good real games (casual titles and gamers will not sustain the market the Wii has), Nintendo's shifting of resources away from core titles. However, there are at least 100 Reasons that Nintendo are dicks, and Yamauchi is one the biggest reasons why. Hell, Nintendo under-funded Virtual Boy and when it bombed, they threw Gumpei Yokoi under the bus (figuratively, that is. Anya may have something else to say about that).

But yeah, Sega Channel was definitely an idea that was WAY ahead of the curve and would probably work out a lot better today if it were even possible.

For modern games, probably not for a long time, but Virtual Console and GameTap are arguably its little bastard children.

I like to liken the popularity of the Wii to WWE's Attitude Era. When things were hot, they were HOT and WWE could seemingly do no wrong. But then the bubble popped and the casuals found something else to occupy their time. Same thing will probably happen with the Wii; the bubble will pop and the casuals will leave. Then Nintendo will only have the hardcore fanbase left, and considering the shit they've pulled so far this generation, there's a chance their hardcore base may not return.

Also, Andrew's comment about Gumpei Yokoi being thrown under the bus makes me want to make a "hit by a car" joke, but I'll leave it to someone funnier.