TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Neal Stephenson

So:

The Big U: Have not read it. It's readily available now. Stephenson himself has said it pretty much sucks.

Zodiace: Funny as hell. Definitely more condident as an author. Somewhat Prescient, but just a great ride. The most enjoyable dick protaganist ever.

Snow Crash: What a fucking ridiculous book. This is the book that I was given when I met him. EVERY cyberpunk cliche is skewered. When cyberpunk was actually kind of new. It's silly as hell and funny as fuck. It's just really good.

(sidebar) people forget that most classic sci-fi authors became gonzo crazies. This definitely hearkens back to that time.

Diamond Age: I love Love love this book. If only he could have ended it. If only. 3/4 Ender's game, only better, 1/4 meh. I personally think it's still one of the best modern scifi books for the first 3/4

Cryptonomicon:I remember adoring this massive tome, I also was in finals for electrical engineering. So I was spent. Then I lost my autographed first edition at the airport because I was so fucking tired.

Then, I got home, and Cryptonomicon had ammassed such a following that it was three times William Gibson (my favorite author)

Anyway...

I'll rank 'em.

1. Diamond Age

2. Snow Crash

3. Cryptonomicon / Zpdiac (can't decide)

5. Quicksilver.

I'll reiterate I haven't read past Quicksilver. Damn he wrote those fast.

how can you decide?

I won't rank them; I just won't do it.

But if anything the next book "The Confusion" is even better than Quicksilver.

And hey, that series has an actual ending.

It was crazy, I thought that I had this litle cult author going on, BAM Cryptonomicon comes out. Cryptonomicon is an incredible book, it's also one of the LAST sci-fi books i thought I'd be seeing in an airport.

Speaking of airports, I lost my first edition signed copy of Cryptonomicon going home from college, having just having finished it. (And just having finished college.) I was PISSED. I left it at the check-in counter, but it was that or go home. Let me reiteratete, I was PISSED.

Neal Stephenson was at a book fair in Seattle long ago, he remembered me, and he's hell of a nice guy. After Dad and I wired his house, he gave me Snow Crash, which was well worn. We talked for about 10 munites, no one was around. This was before college.

After college her had literally three times the people for a reading than William f'in Gibson! (I want William Gibson to have my babies) It was crazy.

Incidentally, Stephenson gives great readings. He answers questions for like, half an hour, and has far more diverse a crowd. (not race-wise, age-wise, he has old ladies clutching their books as feverishly as I was).

"And hey, that series has an actual ending."

You spoiled it! He's not supposed to have endings!

William Gibson (again my favorite author, I taught a fucking class about him, involuntarily) He was very smart, brought up some good points, but he was just very dry, read, answered a few questions, that's it.

I lost a first geneteration, autographed Cryptonomicon. At the airport. JUST after I was done reading it. I was so, so pissed.

Literally, after graduating, running in St.Louis airport(which sucks) I had a moment and turned around, and it was gone. Of course there were other factors, but MAN I was mad.

I've read through Gibson's "sprawl trilogy" and I love it, but I haven't checked out any Neal Stephenson yet, if only because I get the impression from reviews that Stephenson uses a lighter, more comedic, tone. (It doesn't seem like a good fit with a cyberpunk setting, but that's just me.) How true is that perception, in regards to his work?

Well,

Zodiac is pretty damn funny, mostly since the lead character is such a lovable prick.

Snow Crash can be downright silly in setting, and is his most cyberpunk-y book. It's very funny.

Diamond Age is pretty straight-laced (appropriate for a 'neo-victorian' setting)

Cryptonomicon and Quicksilver settle into a wry sense of humor, with lots of good dialogue and humorous asides.

I'm sorry but as I said, Crypto had me laughing my ass of in certain parts. The pigs in the truck in particular, even that whole, what was it, an email?

Snowcrash had a few good lines, mostly from YT. Sweet Statuatory!