TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 73

Sorry this is way in advance as the card is 7/7/07 but wow.

Anderson Silva vs. Nate Marquardt

Hermes Franca vs. Sean Sherk

Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans

and ONCE AGAIN...

The octagon debut of Antonio Rodrigo “Big Nog†Nogueira.

I'm gonna make an early prediction and say Marquardt beats Silva.

I think Marquardt is going to keep the fight on his feet, because he does have very good striking and is confident enough in his striking ability. This is going to be a very good fight, style-wise Marquardt is all wrong for Silva, but it is going to be interesting when they are on their feet. I can't really pick a fighter right now to win, despite me being a huge Anderson Silva fan. I will say this though, if Silva beats Marquardt, I don't think there is a MW in the UFC that would be able to defeat him.

I think Nate will remember that Doerksen of all people managed to drop him as of late, and go for the takedown quickly. Much like MSIA said of Franklin before his fight with Silva:

"If he takes the fight to the ground, he wins. If he chooses to stand and trade, he deserves whatever he gets."

Eh. ufcjunkie was wrong about Nogeira.

His debut is either going to be UFN 10 or the TUF5 finale. Damn. I'm editing the original post.

His debut is either going to be UFN 10 or the TUF5 finale. Damn. I'm editing the original post.

No worries. Two months is forever in sports.

Might as well add the undercard stuff there as well:

Chris Lytle vs. Jeff Joslin

Rich Franklin's Hetero (maybe) Life Partner vs. Diego Saraiva

Man, next time I see Joslin around at a grappling tourney I'll pass along your obsessive love. Lytle has great standup and is good on the ground too. This is going to be a tough fight for both guys.

I think Marquardt is going to keep the fight on his feet, because he does have very good striking and is confident enough in his striking ability. This is going to be a very good fight, style-wise Marquardt is all wrong for Silva, but it is going to be interesting when they are on their feet. I can't really pick a fighter right now to win, despite me being a huge Anderson Silva fan. I will say this though, if Silva beats Marquardt, I don't think there is a MW in the UFC that would be able to defeat him.

I think Silva has holes in his game that have yet to be exploited by anybody. Besides Serra, he's probably the most beatable champ in UFC right now. Marquardt, Franklin, and Okami are all guys I'd drop a few bills on if they were the underdogs.

And it turns out that UFCJunkie was right

UFC newcomer and PRIDE veteran Antonio Rodrigo “Big Nog” Nogueira will make his UFC debut at the ultra-stacked UFC 73 card on July 7. Additionally, New York City will gets its first UFC event — at Madison Square Garden — sometime in 2008.

Those were some of the scoops Dana White provided on the Scott Ferrall Radio Show on Sirius satellite radio last night. MMA writer Pramit Mohapatra recapped the appearance for baltimoresun.com.

Nogueira, who was introduced as a UFC signee earlier this month at UFC 69, had been a rumored fighter on the UFC 73 card before a recent Sherdog.com report stated he would instead debut at either UFC Fight Night 10 on June 12 or at The Ultimate Fighter 5 Finale on June 23.

However, according to White, Nogueira will definitely debut at UFC 73, which has quickly become the can’t-miss UFC event of 2007. UFC champion Anderson Silva will meet top contender Nate Marquardt in the main event, UFC lightweight champ Sean Sherk battles Hermes Franca in his first-ever title defense, and The Ultimate Fighter 2 heavyweight winner Rashad Evans faces UFC legend Tito Ortiz. UFCjunkie.com (www.ufcjunkie.com) recently broke news of a Jeff Joslin vs. Chris Lytle bout that will also appear on the fight card.

Nogueira, a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu expert, has posted previous wins over Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Josh Barnett, Dan Henderson, Fabricio Werdum, Heath Herring, Jeremy Horn and many other notables since he began MMA fighting in 1999.

His opponent for UFC 73 isn’t yet known.

The event is expected to take place in Sacramento, Calif. and will air on pay-per-view.

I'd say this would be a bigger upset than Gonzaga-Cro Cop as Nog has already beaten Herring a couple times.

After April, though, I won't be terribly suprised no matter what happens.

That takedown to mount that almost rear mount at the beginning of the fight was damn near laughable.

Everybody was disappointed with his jake O'Brien fight. Not me though, that was my favourite fight to watch live, if only because me being high caused Joe Rogan's commentary to be the funniest thing I've ever heard. I have NEVER heard someone rip into a fighter that much, let alone a commentator in the UFC. He was just criticizing the shit out of his ground game, it was jaw dropping hilarious. The highlight was when the fight was entering into the latter stages, like near the end of the second round or so, and he's like "the same thing keeps happening, O'Brien takes him down, guard pass, MOUNT" and he says this to try and describe the fight, yet as he says it that shit actually happens! For that, I will always be a fan of all three of the men involved in this great story. Goldie can go fuck himself though, I don't think anything will make me be a fan of that guy.

Additionally, New York City will gets its first UFC event — at Madison Square Garden — sometime in 2008.

Very interesting. It may be their only event at MSG considering that replacing the building has been looked at.

That takedown to mount that almost rear mount at the beginning of the fight was damn near laughable.

And somehow it was topped later by Imes going Marquardt with knees from the front headlock.

I think Yushin Okami has a pretty good shot. I'd at least like to see a rematch. He should probably fight Rich Franklin first though.

The Pride acquisition has completely turned me off MMA, and this card has nothing interesting for me.

In fact, the only fight I'd want to see in any organization is Gomi vs. Aoki.

I can totally see where you're coming from with all of those PRIDE guys in the 3 main bouts...

yawn.

The Pride acquisition has completely turned me off MMA, and this card has nothing interesting for me.

In fact, the only fight I'd want to see in any organization is Gomi vs. Aoki.

Waaa, waaaaa, waaaa.... Shut the hell up.