TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 73

Hooters shows it for free....but people get there early, and stay put for the entire show, so you have to plan on getting there before the PPV goes on air.......I'd call around though, I am sure more and more sportsbars are picking up UFC as it gets more popular.

Since this card has created so much discussion, and lots of people have been bitching and getting at each other's throats over the fights, I say we make picks here for bragging rights. Let it be known that while I know a lot about MMA as a sport itself, I'm generally behind on keeping up with the fighters in it so I may be lagging in my picks here. We'll see.

The final card one more time -

MAIN CARD

Champion Anderson Silva vs. Nate Marquardt (for middleweight title)

Heath Herring vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Rashad Evans vs. Tito Ortiz

Champion Sean Sherk vs. Hermes Franca (for lightweight title)

Kenny Florian vs. Alvin Robinson

UNDERCARD

Stephan Bonnar vs. Mike Nickels

Drew Fickett vs. Chris Lytle

Jorge Gurgel vs. Diego Saraiva

Mark Bocek vs. Frank Edgar

My picks from bottom to top are Edgar, Saraiva, Fickett, Bonnar, Florian, Sherk, Evans, Noguiera, Marquardt.

Some explanations:

- Edgar is just too well-rounded and probably has been preparing really well. Bocek has been at Tristar and New Mexico so you know he's getting ready but he's facing a HUUUUGE step up in comp here, and while I think with some more development he could pull it off, but he is just taking this fight too soon. Edgar is the new breed of mixed martial artist, and is what you will see more of in the future; a guy who trains hard both in being physically capable as well as slowly building himself up with some solid wins and honing his skills while doing so. Mark my words, him and Griffin will be two of the top lightweights for years to come, I think Bocek might get there but it's too soon for him to tell. Edgar is also ridiculously tough, as we saw from the kneebar.

- Gurgel sucks, so I have to pick against him. Saraiva is pretty solid on the ground, and that's really Jorge's only chance. He couldn't sub Abbadi, and yeah.

- Fickett vs. Lytle is a bit of a toss up for me, I think Fickett is more skilled but Lytle is very tough, and has been through the fire with some tough guys and hasn't been finished other than a cut stoppage. Still, I see Fickett pounding him out for three rounds for a decision. Lytle can only KO him quickly on the feet early or take advantage when he's tired, that's pretty much it.

- Bonnar because Nickels sucks, but I'm actually looking forward to watching this. I will try to see it eventually. Is there something wrong with me?

- Robinson was beat up by Holanda, who while a great submission guy isn't known for much else except for some decent wrestling. The fact that it happened near the end of the second round, when Holanda was probably huffing and puffing like he'd just climbed up a long flight of stairs, makes me think that Robinson must have been more gassed. Florian gets hated on way too much, he takes this in dominating fashion and gains some more fans in the process.

- Sherk just has a good style to beat Franca, but I want Franca to win. I don't see it happening, as Sherk has great cardio, is consistent and will just come in and GnP Franca for five lacklustre rounds. Will probably be a disappointing fight, though Franca might pull a haymaker out of his ass.

- Ortiz is a better striker than Evans, who contrary to the Salmon fight, can't really kick well. You won't see him pull that off in this fight. Ortiz is also really good in the clinch as a wrestler, better than Evans there as well. But Ortiz doesn't use the clinch very often, reacts poorly to getting hit, and has no cartilage in his knees anymore. I think Rashad is more athletic (HA!) but also has the better shot at this point in Tito's career. Rashad's gas tank is good, but is it as good as Titos? His BJJ is definitely not as good as Tito's. This is one of those fights that while not a CHampionship fight should be a five rounder (like Okami vs. Franklin) This is the hardest fight for me to pick, and it's not helping that I really like both guys. It's really a coinflip as there's lots of questions coming in. How's Tito going to react to someone that can outwrestle him? Ditto for Rashad, against someone with better ground skills than Salmon? How will Rashad handle the fact that Tito has the best cardio in the business? How will Tito deal with Rashad's now brutal GnP? Lucky for Tito Rashad doesn't put a lot of pressure on the feet, but in a coinflip, I'm just gonna have to go with Evans, because of the Lambert fight and the fact that he's got youth and a lack of injuries on his side. The fact that I Think he could drop down to 185 if he wanted to may be a factor, but I'll ignore that for now. He'd definitely be a champ at that weightclass, we'll see how he fares against one of the bigger 205'ers in Ortiz, but I'm taking him in a very tough fight.

- C'mon, Noguiera is immune to chance and flukes and upsets. Like Sherk, extremely consistent and doesn't fuck around. Will beat Herring up worse than the previous two attempts combined.

- Like Evans vs. Ortiz, there's lots of questions with Nate vs. Anderson, but I watched the Doerksen fight again and Nate went strong into the final round. Anderson is not as good off of his back as Doerksen and won't provide as much action and pressure. I think if Nate takes him down, which he will, he can finish him. If this were a three rounder, I'd pick Nate pretty comfortably, as it stands I'm a little unsure. Nate's probably not going to finish him, so as weird as it sounds the longer this goes, the more I favour Anderson. I think he has potential to end it in the later rounds. But Nate will be ready, so I guess I have to go with my head over my heart on this one and pick Nate in a decision in what should be a great fight.

Champion Anderson Silva vs. Nate Marquardt (for middleweight title)

-- Silva. I just don't see it in Nate to win this one, especially as a 5 rounder. Silva has been on an absolute tear and it's hard to pick against that kind of momentum. Nate will be too hesitant to get off any significant offense and in a 5 rounder, Silva will have enough opportunities to finish it.

Heath Herring vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

-- Nog. It's damn near impossible to pick against 2-0.

Rashad Evans vs. Tito Ortiz

-- Evans. This is an interesting one. Despite the hype, Rashad is pretty unproven, so I hate picking him against Ortiz. Salmon, Hoger, Bonnar, Imes... not exactly names that set the world on fire. Some are solid fighters, but are they of the same quality of guys Tito has beaten? Then again, there's that Lambert fight. Lambert, while not Tito, -stylistically-, is fair measuring stick for someone like Tito (that may cause a Lei Tong eye roll or two). Rashad handled Lambert, and I can't see why he can't do the same to Tito. Though it was almost 4 years ago, Tito looked pretty bad off his back against Couture and Rashad has the better wrestling pedigree. The question is whether Tito can weather the storm and make Rashad gas, in a similar fashion that Frank did to him so long ago. While Tito was ineffective off his back against Couture, he did get himself out of some bad situations. But I think Rashad hits harder from on top than Randy and Tito will take one or two shots that will put him on a downslide.

Champion Sean Sherk vs. Hermes Franca (for lightweight title)

-- Sherk. Goddammit, this is a head vs. gut thing. My gut says Franca. That's my initial reaction, but when I come to think of reasons to justify it or explain how the fight will go, my head will then say "Gut, you're a fuckin retard". Sherk has only been beaten by guys who were bigger, stronger, and excellent wrestlers. Franca ain't any of that. I think it will be a close fight, but I can't realistically see Franca taking it, despite his hot streak.

Kenny Florian vs. Alvin Robinson

--Florian actually looked like something of a fighter in his last fight. I don't know who Alvin Robinson it. Does he have good wrestling? If he does, then he certainly has a chance. If he doesn't, I'll vote Kenny. I need to know before I make a choice...

UNDERCARD

Stephan Bonnar vs. Mike Nickels

-- Bonnar. Nickels managed to get out struck by Matt Hamill.

Drew Fickett vs. Chris Lytle

-- This, actually, is a great fight. Fickett is a finisher, but when the fuck has Lytle ever been finished? Fickett has beaten some good guys and lost to some really good guys and Lytle is a border-line really good guy. They both are great gatekeepers at 170, are fringe contenders, and it pretty much will be decided on a round-by-round basis. I can't see Fickett finishing Lytle, and I can't see Lytle finishing Fickett (though if did end in a finish, I'd say it would be more likely Lytle finishing Fickett than the other way around). It's just a really tough fight to call. I just hear the word "Lytle" in my head when I think of who is going to win, but it's always hard to bet on Lytle because when put against high quality opposition he tends to wind up on the losing end and I don't know if Fickett is quality enough... I'll go with Lytle.

Jorge Gurgel vs. Diego Saraiva

-- I don't know who Saraiva is. Despite going the distance with Sandwich Abaddi, Jorge showed some darn good skills in that fight and I see this as the UFC giving Gurgel a gift, so I'll go with Joe Silva on this one and give it to Twinkle Gurgel.

Mark Bocek vs. Frank Edgar

-- Bocek, RNC. Why? Fuck you, that's why. Canadian up-and-comers haven't had the best of luck down south, and Bocek tends to win off of being a superior wrestler with the positioning of an elite JJ fighter. He won't out-wrestle Edgar, but I think he is good enough to contain Edgar and from there will be able to have a chance to get his back. And once Bocek gets Edgars back, it's over.

- Ortiz is a better striker than Evans, who contrary to the Salmon fight, can't really kick well. You won't see him pull that off in this fight. Ortiz is also really good in the clinch as a wrestler, better than Evans there as well. But Ortiz doesn't use the clinch very often, reacts poorly to getting hit, and has no cartilage in his knees anymore. I think Rashad is more athletic (HA!) but also has the better shot at this point in Tito's career. Rashad's gas tank is good, but is it as good as Titos? His BJJ is definitely not as good as Tito's. This is one of those fights that while not a CHampionship fight should be a five rounder (like Okami vs. Franklin) This is the hardest fight for me to pick, and it's not helping that I really like both guys. It's really a coinflip as there's lots of questions coming in. How's Tito going to react to someone that can outwrestle him? Ditto for Rashad, against someone with better ground skills than Salmon? How will Rashad handle the fact that Tito has the best cardio in the business? How will Tito deal with Rashad's now brutal GnP? Lucky for Tito Rashad doesn't put a lot of pressure on the feet, but in a coinflip, I'm just gonna have to go with Evans, because of the Lambert fight and the fact that he's got youth and a lack of injuries on his side. The fact that I Think he could drop down to 185 if he wanted to may be a factor, but I'll ignore that for now. He'd definitely be a champ at that weightclass, we'll see how he fares against one of the bigger 205'ers in Ortiz, but I'm taking him in a very tough fight.

Sorry man. I gotta disagree here. Tito is not at all a better striker then Rashad.

Rashad has always displayed good boxing skills through out his UFC career. He has fast hands, good defense, and very well technique. Tito Oritz had problems with Forrest Griffin sloppy striking, and hasn't displayed a good striking game in lords how long. If it stays on the feet, Rashad will KO Oritz.

As for Rashad being able to handle the strength of Tito Ortiz at 205, remember Rashad won the TUF contract at heavyweight. Mike Whitehead, Keith Jardine, Jason Lambert are all very strong fighters, Mike Whitehead especially. Rashad handle all of them. Rashad is as legit of a 205 as they come.

I think Tito's striking is pretty underrated, while I think Rashad's is overrated. I think Forrest's striking is pretty decent, and Tito was outstriking him on a torn mcl. Forrest's striking has actually improved a lot, compare the two Bonnar fights. Rashad has as well, but I still give Tito a slight edge here. We can't really argue this until the fight though.

I don't think that he can't handle Tito, I mean I am picking Evans to win. But I just think that he would be better served at a lower weight. All those guys you mentioned are LHW now except for Imes, who sucks. I just think he looks a little soft at LHW and I think he can make MW. People that have trained with him told me he should drop, but he's skilled enough obviously to stay at LHW, but I think he could be a world champ at MW. He used to wrestle at 174 in college, so 185 shouldn't be too much of a stretch. I doubt he does it though, unless he loses a few which won't happen because he's really good. I just think he won't capture his true potential until he drops.

The Evans v. Ortiz fight is so interesting, and so difficult to gauge because both fighters have a similar strength (Wrestling/G&P), but are at radically different stages of their careers.

I look at the fight in my head and my first instinct says Rashad, but I still have some logical doubts about his ability to weather a barrage if Tito gets on top.

I'm really looking forward to this one, for this fight as much as anything, because I think it could be a great 3 round fight with a lot of G&P and it's really up in the air.

i'm leaning towards Tito because he finishes his fights, Rashad has fought for awhile and just recently got his first KO, alot of his fights seem to be lay and pray style, i've only been following MMA for about a year

i'm leaning towards Tito because he finishes his fights, Rashad has fought for awhile and just recently got his first KO, alot of his fights seem to be lay and pray style, i've only been following MMA for about a year

Rashad got his 1st KO his 3rd fight.

Rashad got his 1st KO his 3rd fight.

oh LOL, i may have been thinking within UFC confines

Attn: Southern Ontarians-

Joe Stevenson, Gray Maynard and Kendall Grove will be at the Philthy McNasty's in Burlington on Saturday July 7th for the PPV. They're charging $20 at the door, you get some swag and your picture/autograph will all three fighters, as well as being entered in a draw to watch the PPV in the private party room w/ the fighters.

Joe Stevenson, Gray Maynard and Kendall Grove will be at the Philthy McNasty's in Burlington on Saturday July 7th for the PPV. They're charging $20 at the door, you get some swag and your picture/autograph will all three fighters, as well as being entered in a draw to watch the PPV in the private party room w/ the fighters.

Burlington? You'd think that one of the (ahem) "clubs" around Pearson would be more to their liking...

Burlington? You'd think that one of the (ahem) "clubs" around Pearson would be more to their liking...

They probably assumed Philthy McNasty's is a strip club and I'd pay $20 just to see their disappointment... and Gray trying to comprehend the situation, "I thought there were going to be naked women here, but these women are wearing clothes. Why?"

That'd be a horrible name for a strip club. Unless it had a reputation for being very tame.

Back to the point, Burlington isn't exactly a hotbed of a town (city?), so why host a UFC event there, y'know?

Well, the fighters will be running a seminar @ Kombat Arts which is kinda close to Burlington but still in Mississauga. I want to go just to see how rowdy the place will get compared to the Sholess Joes where I usually hold PPV parties but I'm not sure it's worth the transit/cover charge.

I'm going with Rashad, because Tito hasn't done anything impressive for quite a while. Beating up on Ken Shamrock over and over again doesn't excite me.

True, he hasn't done anything impressive, but to say that watching Shamrock get beat up isn't exciting? I have to disagree. I can always enjoy that.

Damn, hard to believe this is only a week away....I will be in the upperdeck, but only about four rows back, still I am gonna borrow some binoculars for the show....Arco Arena isn't that huge so no seat in the house is "bad" Thank gawd next week at work will be a short work week with the 4th of July coming right in the middle of the work week.

I can't believe Tito said that Dana is trying to bury him with the promotion of this fight. Dude is on EVERYTHING.

He's really killing all the good will he built up on TUF3.

Damn, hard to believe this is only a week away....I will be in the upperdeck, but only about four rows back, still I am gonna borrow some binoculars for the show....Arco Arena isn't that huge so no seat in the house is "bad"

You won't need 'em. When I went to the Mosley fight and had my cheap seats before they moved me down, I could see everything perfect. One would think it's hard to see from that far back, but it isn't. I like it. You can see the action perfect without obstructions. The cage won't be a factor.

I can't believe Tito said that Dana is trying to bury him with the promotion of this fight. Dude is on EVERYTHING.

He's really killing all the good will he built up on TUF3.

Tito has two faces. His face to the fans and media and his business side. Tito, while a good self promoter and charismatic face in MMA, is all about the money much like "Rampage", however "Rampage" is not bullshitting about his motivation. Tito feels because he was there during the bad years he deserves top priority now UFC is moving on up. IMO, You get what you deserve and I personally don't feel his performances against Liddell, Couture, Cote and Forrest were exactly stellar or dominating given his tenure and experience at the top. Tito is a bankable name but is fast outliving his usefulness as more talent comes in from PRIDE and through TUF. He's not known as a finisher and I personally don't believe he is worth more than he is receiving, which is not an insignificant amount. He also has made literally a few million through sponsorship and makes high 6 figures per annum through Punishment Athletics (which surprised me at first, but then you have to keep in kind the TUF/Tap Out generation who'll buy virtually anything) on top of the fact he gets PPV points if he headlines... he's going to be more than comfortable for a long while. I personally think if he loses his next few fights he'll go to EXC for a Frank Shamrock rematch next year. Dana's been pissed with him for several years now, his failure to appear for the boxing match between them, his decision to turn down an appearance at UFC 72 and constant demands and accusations without merit have not endeared him to anyone in UFC's managment structure.

Interesting update on the supposed card order

Bocek vs Edgar

Lytle vs Gilliam

Bonnar vs Nickels

Gurgel vs Saraiva

Florian vs Robinson

Nog vs Herring

Sherk vs Franca

Silva vs Nate

Tito vs Rashad

Very odd that Tito/Rashad is the main event over a title fight. And Bocek/Edgar going on first is a sure-fire sign that it'll be the aired prelim if there's time. War Gingie!

Yeah...that is interesting. I actually can't believe it.

I hope there are some short fights on the main because I want to see the Bocek/Edgar fight, Bonnar's return, and Ken Flo's (if that's not already on the main - I forget). For some reason I see Nog/Herring being short, but I wouldn't really be surprised to see either or both of the title fights go to a decision.

Yeah I'm bracing myself for disappointment if these title fights end up going to boring decisions.

Word on the street is that the smart money is on Bocek as he's a pretty big dog. That fight is getting a lot of hype on the underground it seems like, and everyone is saying watch out for Bocek.

Yeah I'm bracing myself for disappointment if these title fights end up going to boring decisions.

Word on the street is that the smart money is on Bocek as he's a pretty big dog. That fight is getting a lot of hype on the underground it seems like, and everyone is saying watch out for Bocek.

Bocek's CV shows some excellent BJJ credentials, so if I were Edgar I might look to keep this fight standing.

BTW UFCJunkie noted that the Diego Saraiva/Jorge "Gary" Gurgel (hey, if Rich is "Ace"...) fight might allow you to win some money regardless of the outcome. Granted, it's only about $4, but a win is a win...