TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

UFC 74

No offense, but you don't know what you're talking about. Wrestling has very little to do with passing guard or holding mount. In wrestling you don't care to gain BJJ position so long as you gain the pin, so many a times in wrestling you hold someone down in "guard" or "Side mount" without saying as much. A good wrestler cannot necessarily hold down a good mount, because he's not taught to wrestle like that. How often do you see guys in wrestling lift their upper body completely up in the air and put all their weight down on their BUTT/hips? Never, because it's not a position that is really necessary. A lot of times you end up pushing down on the person. A good wrestler can adapt better than a normal person to BJJ because they're used to grappling sure, but certain things are still brand new to them. When Brock Lesnar became a wrestler, word is he was completely clueless on the ground, because once the guy was already down he had no idea what to do with regards to hand positioning, submission defence, etc. Passing the guard does not simply reflect him being a good wrestler. Control might sure, but passing the guard requires bjj specific technique. You can't simply be a wrestler and power your way past the guard. If the guy on the bottom is good (which Fickett is, as evidenced by the fact that he's choked out BJJ black belts), he does a really good job of keeping the guard. This is why Koscheck had a hard time keeping the mount in that fight, because he was a lot greener than then he is now. Still, the fact that he did what he did is impressive. I'm not really known for sweeps yet I've swept pan american gold medallist wrestlers and they've had a hard time passing my guard, regardless of their wrestling experience. These weren't submission noobs either, they have been doing subs almost as long as I. That's blown out of proportion, the idea that with a little bit of training a top notch wrestler can simply excel at sub grappling. Proof is Diego sweeping Koscheck the minute they got to the floor. You're wrong in your assessment here, there's no way around it.

lol at Coleman doing what Koscheck does. I didn't know that putting your legs back IN guard was great BJJ passing ability. The only times he gains position is when he's fighting guys with horrible bottom games, or that one time with Fedor. I don't remember how he got that.

Fitch only knocked him down with a headbutt, but my point was this: If you hold up Koscheck to this standard where all he did was score takedowns thereby making him one-dimensional, then how about holding Fitch to the same standard, considering it's the same opponent? Compare how Joslin and Koscheck did against Goulet. Joslin was admittedly robbed but my point is that once Koscheck had him on the ground he finished him and held the back mount, which Joslin couldn't do. How is that not impressive?

Why do you not diss GSP considering he had a much worse performance than Koscheck did against Joslin when he fought BJ? Not only did he stall on the feet he got popped numerous times and well, "LOOK AT HIS FACE". He barely survived a gogo plata, and struggled with the takedowns. At least Koscheck got those at will. If you think you could give the fight to Joslin then turn around and tell me you thought GSP won that fight that just proves my point about your bias. Also, no matter how many times you say it, that wasn't a result of brawling. BJ Penn counterpunched GSP's jab to perfection, slipping it and popping him numerous times. That's a basic boxing move, and GSP was too slow to react to it, which is interesting because I wouldn't imagine BJ being a guy to be quicker off of his feet, especially at 170. I don't care if you use "brawling" as his weakness, that's a form of striking. He got outstruck by Matt Serra. I won't hold that against him, because I know of the circumstances surrounding the fight, but if anything it just shows how much you're hugging the dude's nuts.

Why would Koscheck do something that goes against his bread and butter? What the fuck do you want him to do, pull guard or go for a flying armbar? So he ends up on top, that's his deal. He's submitted Chalangov, and pounded out Goulet. The only guys he hasn't been able to finish since he's started on his run are guys that are tough to finish like Diego and Joslin. What's with this "Pure bjj" bullshit? He's a fucking mixed martial artist. You know who uses pure BJJ? Guys like Matt Serra and Wallid Ismail. Who the fuck have they submitted in MMA? It's a whole new world. At this level, everyone is fucking good. He can't look good on the ground sometimes because other guys are as good at BJJ as he is at wrestling. It's the nature of the beast at this point. You're expecting more out of him, but that's not fair.

As for his striking, his coach and world-renowned striker Javier Mendez said that it's one of the most technically sound out of all the guys at AKA, going so far as to say it was better than Swick's or Fitch. Yeah. I don't know, maybe really good is a little strong (I'm willing to concede on some points you see) but it's a lot better than you give him credit for. The only thing he really needed to work on was keeping his chin lower. GSP will take advantage of that awww day.

Listen, the fact that you brought up the Fickett loss as an indication of his poor submission ability, and the fact that Joslin nearly tapping him, which by the way, wasn't as near as the SoOn sub grappling fanboys like to tell you(see this is why I dislike those nuthuggers, the same ones that picked Bocek to beat Edgar) is relevant to him having shitty BJJ shows your bias. I still can't believe you used him getting choked out by Fickett as a reason. I thought you were smarter than that.

The Koshceck article on UFC.com is quite illuminatingly hilarious, 'specially where he tries to justify the Diego win by saying that he wanted to be exciting but his coaches made him stick to the "Jab/jab/hook" repetition. He also said "Fuck Georges St. Pierre."

Dead.Man.Walking.

He also said "Fuck Georges St. Pierre."

I like that he's so blatant about his fight plan. I hope GSP has been working takedown defence with Rashad again, or he's gonna get Sherked for fifteen. I don't care how good on his feet Koscheck is now, but that's the most viable strategy against GSP.

Yeah, that's the one. Whether he'll show up in two days remains to be seen.

Of course, this is all a bunch of moot points. Randy picked GSP to win so he's gonna win. It's that simple.

I'm watching the preview show and Rogan's GSP hate is off the charts. And Kos' ego is approaching Matt Hughes levels.

Matt Hughes has an ego? you been eating paint chips

--I don't know if Brock Lesnar has signed with UFC or not, but he's in Las Vegas for Saturday's fight and what he's doing is an angle and he and Dana White are on the same page. He's playing outsider heel, and apparently pretty well since some MMA folks who rip on wrestling fans for being stupid, are buying it. Randy Couture, who has his hands full right now, talked at the press conference yesterday saying he'd love the chance to fight Lesnar.

--For public consumption, White said yesterday: "I'm very interested in Brock Lesnar. I tried to talk to (his reps) a couple of years ago. They were on a different planet at the time. After fighting in the s*** show he fought in last time, maybe they're back down here on Earth where we can talk." He also got a dig in on Tito Ortiz, when pushing Patrick Cote, who faces Kendall Grove, White noted Cote went the distance with Ortiz in 2004. "He went the distance with Tito Ortiz when it meant something to go the distance with Tito Ortiz."

The obvious speculation, and plenty are making it, is that Lesnar has signed and it's getting announced on the PPV. If he hasn't signed yet, then White being on the same page as Lesnar in terms of playing up the 'outsider heel' role would indicate White thinks it's close to happening. Signing Lesnar would be a big boost for UFC, not only because of Lesnar's name value, but because of his physical talents, raw ability and willingness to learn.

Yeah, that's the one. Whether he'll show up in two days remains to be seen.

Of course, this is all a bunch of moot points. Randy picked GSP to win so he's gonna win. It's that simple.

We do remember that Hughes took down GSP in their first fight, right?

I'm watching the preview show and Rogan's GSP hate is off the charts.

I think Rogan has hated GSP ever since Joe verbally fellated Jay Heiron and GSP fucked him up good. Plus GSP is French-Canadian, and I'm sure that the only French-Canadians that Joe likes unconditionally work at Chez Paris or some other fine Montreal establishment.

does anyone know if someone will have a live feed to the show, here's my predictions:

Couture vs Gonzaga: i'll say The Natural by 3rd Round knock out

GSP vs Koscheck: it's gonna depend which GSP shows up like alot of people say, to me if he comes into this underestimating Koscheck, Koscheck will surprise him, but i'm gonna say GSP wins by Decision

Stevenson vs Pelligrino: hmm.. i'll say Stevenson by 2nd round KO

Grove vs Cote: i'm gonna go Cote for decision

Huerta vs Crane: Huerta by late first round or early 2nd round KO

I want Randy to win, but I know that Gonzaga is probably going to win and win decisively. All I hope is that Randy goes down fighting and gives a good showing. I think Gonzaga wins by KO or TKO in the second round or third round, but no later.

I will sacrifice virgins if I have to in order for GSP to wipe the mat with Koscheck. I don't just want GSP beat Koscheck, I want GSP to make him scream like a bitch and go crying to his momma. What I want is for GSP to win by tap out in ten seconds, but I'll settle for a TKO of some kind.

Gonzaga wears Randy out and takes it in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

GSP makes Koscheck his bitch in a round and a half.

Daddy in the 1st.

Grove by decision.

Huerta by decision.

Damn... Gonzaga was about to rank on the Muta Scale with the blood he was dripping on Couture.

Couture was vicious with every shot he gave to Gonzaga's face there after. Anyone know what dark match led to the huge pool of blood on the mat earlier in the night?

Man, I dunno what I'm most impressed by. Koschecks amazing jiu jitsu ability to do dicknothing off his back, or his superbulous stand up skills that consisted of loading up and throwing overhand rights. I was completely wrong about the guy. I truly do know nothing about this sport.

This was probably the best performance out of Randy Couture that I have ever seen. He was a killer. Maybe the second Pedro Rizzo fight or the fight against Chuck, but even then, damn... Randy is in the business of breakin people.

I got to hand it to Gonzaga... he was trying his best not to quit even though Couture was pummeling his face. The crowd at the restaurant I was watching it at was going absolutely nuts for Couture.

It sounds like it was Superdick Sobral busting open Heath's nose. Not to mention "Sobral with a guillotine turned into a choke for the tap. Sobral held on way longer than he should have and Heath is twitching." (wrestlingobserver.com)

And yes, I'm glad the Blanket lost. As much as Kos tried to bring the suck, GSP's awesomeness was too much for him to overcome.

What were Kos' quotes before the fight? HE thinks he's going to out wrestle me? I've been wrestling since I was five. Welcome to my world.

Outside of the one takedown in round one, Koscheck got in zero offense. ZERO (wait, he might have landed one good punch or kick). I think Koscheck just needs to be thankful that he never had to wrestle GSP in the NCAA and as a result he has two National Championships instead of zero.

Roger Huerta in sprawl mode was fucking amazing. Using the bigscreens to rain perfect back elbows was genius on all levels.

My favorite moment in the Gonzaga-Couture fight was Couture seemingly no-selling what appeared to be a clean high kick near the end of the fight.

Roger Huerta in sprawl mode was fucking amazing. Using the bigscreens to rain perfect back elbows was genius on all levels.

My favorite moment in the Gonzaga-Couture fight was Couture seemingly no-selling what appeared to be a clean high kick near the end of the fight.

Huerta using the monitors was one of the best things since Arlovski was warned and then sucker punched Cruz at UFC 66.

I was really impressed with Huerta's scrambling and defensive ground skills, and of course using the big screens to elbow Crane behind him. Every time i see him i like him more, now we just need to see Roger against someone who isn't making their UFC debut against him. Huerta vs Pellegrino perhaps? Works for me.

Grove losing sucks, but other than that Stevenson/Pellegrino, St. Pierre putting Koscheck in his place and Couture once against proving he is the man made this a damn good show.