TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Human Fly

Chris Benoit Dead - Toxicology results released

This is without doubt the strangest bit of news I've heard all year and quite frankly underlines the point that Wrestling is a pretty shitty business to get into.

Well it isn't wrestling that would drive someone to do this.

Maybe I'm wrong to presume so, but Chris Benoit's life as a wrestler led him to this ending.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3307902&page=1

familicide_070626_ms.jpg

In an apparent murder-suicide, police are investigating the deaths of World Wrestling Entertainment wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and 7-year-old son at the family's home in Fayetteville, Ga.

Police have confirmed that a gun wasn't used, but the details of the deaths "are going to prove a little bizarre," Fayetteville County District Attorney Scott Ballard told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Though rare, experts say, familicides tend to occur in clusters.

Benoit's wife, Nancy, 43, and son, Daniel, were each found in different rooms and are believed to have been killed days before the wrestler seemingly took his own life, according to police.

Days before the Benoit killings, independently, and on opposite sides of the country, Thomas Reilly and Kevin Morrissey each decided to kill their children and then kill themselves.

Reilly, 46, drowned his two young daughters, ages 5 and 6, in the bathtub of their Montclair, N.J., home before hanging himself from the attic rafters last Wednesday.

A week ago Monday, Morrissey, 51, shot his wife and two daughters in a parked car at a popular park near Berkeley, Calif., before turning his .357 handgun on himself.

Both crimes came after another murder-suicide earlier this month in Wisconsin. Amborosio Analco, 23, killed his two twin infant sons, their mother, their aunt and himself.

Men, experts said, are often driven to murder their families by intense feelings of shame resulting from a job loss or a perceived inability to provide for family members.

Forensic psychologists and criminologist said, however, that these murderers do not simply "snap" but usually have long histories of mental illness.

Men and women who kill their children, forensic psychologists told ABC News, tend to be severally depressed or psychotic.

Women are more likely to kill their children than men are, but men are more likely to kill both their children and their spouse, said Dr. John Bradford, head of the forensic psychiatry department at the University of Ottawa.

Police investigating the deaths of Kevin Morrissey and his family said they found a note in which the 51-year-old father of two said he was distressed over the family's financial situation.

Morissey ran a skin care clinic with his wife, Dr. Mamiko Kawai, 40. The couple's two daughters were Nikki Morrissey, 8, and Kim Morrissey, 6.

Dr. Phillip Resnick, a psychiatry professor at Case Western Reserve University, said Morrissey may have been "severely depressed and believed his family was similarly miserable. He was ending the entire family's pain."

"Money is often an issue. The man sees himself as a breadwinner and may feel like he has to take the whole family out with him," Resnick said.

Police investigating the deaths of Reilly and his children, Megan, 5, and Kelly, 6, said they didn't yet know what motivated him to drown his daughters, but that he'd recently been separated from his wife.

"There are still many unanswered questions. The couple was separated, and he had visitation rights. The wife contacted police when she couldn't reach Reilly. There was no note, and the case is still under investigation," said Roger Terry, deputy chief of the Montclair Police Department.

Local, state and federal agencies do not specifically track familicides, and discrepancies in the way the crimes are classified make getting an accurate count difficult.

Hay Carter, a professor of criminology at Florida State University, however, said these crimes -- like all mass murders -- are rare.

Carter estimated that of the approximately 16,000 murders committed annually, less than 2,000 involved family members, including parents who kill their children.

Experts said there is a greater chance that a stepparent will murder a stepchild than a biological parent will kill his own child. They also said, despite the rarity, parents are more likely to kill their children than strangers are to abduct and kill them.

Murderous Mothers

Experts said that women are often motivated to kill their children for different reasons than men are.

Police investigating the deaths of Kevin Morrissey and his family said they found a note in which the 51-year-old father of two said he was distressed over the family's financial situation.

Morissey ran a skin care clinic with his wife, Dr. Mamiko Kawai, 40. The couple's two daughters were Nikki Morrissey, 8, and Kim Morrissey, 6.

Dr. Phillip Resnick, a psychiatry professor at Case Western Reserve University, said Morrissey may have been "severely depressed and believed his family was similarly miserable. He was ending the entire family's pain."

"Money is often an issue. The man sees himself as a breadwinner and may feel like he has to take the whole family out with him," Resnick said.

Police investigating the deaths of Reilly and his children, Megan, 5, and Kelly, 6, said they didn't yet know what motivated him to drown his daughters, but that he'd recently been separated from his wife.

"There are still many unanswered questions. The couple was separated, and he had visitation rights. The wife contacted police when she couldn't reach Reilly. There was no note, and the case is still under investigation," said Roger Terry, deputy chief of the Montclair Police Department.

Local, state and federal agencies do not specifically track familicides, and discrepancies in the way the crimes are classified make getting an accurate count difficult.

Hay Carter, a professor of criminology at Florida State University, however, said these crimes -- like all mass murders -- are rare.

Carter estimated that of the approximately 16,000 murders committed annually, less than 2,000 involved family members, including parents who kill their children.

Experts said there is a greater chance that a stepparent will murder a stepchild than a biological parent will kill his own child. They also said, despite the rarity, parents are more likely to kill their children than strangers are to abduct and kill them.

Murderous Mothers

Experts said that women are often motivated to kill their children for different reasons than men are.

Rather than feeling they have failed to adequately provide for their kids, women often kill their children out of a delusional sense of altruism.

Women often fail at committing suicide, said Resnick, and their crimes are therefore less likely to be classified as familicide.

"Women try three times as often to commit suicide, but men are three times more successful," he said.

Psychosis and severe depression can lead women to believe they are killing their children to end their suffering or because they believe they are demonically possessed.

"When you're psychotically depressed the whole world appears as if you're looking through dull gray glass. When you look at your children, you see them through your own suffering and emotional pain and believe they, too, are suffering. You begin to think they and you would be better off in heaven. This is an altruistic delusion. The results are horrific, but it's done in the hopes of stopping suffering," said Bradford at the University of Ottawa.

Severely psychotic women, he said, "might not see their children as suffering but see them instead as evil. They believe their child is a devil and to protect mankind they must be killed."

Guest joshtothemaxx

I'd like to see the WWE take this event, and Eddie's death, and other lesser things like Joey Mercury's substance abuse problem as a sign that the workers are overworked, and aren't kept in check. All these guys are on the road all year long, perform 4-6 times a week, and are usually just thrown into the spotlight green as hell. Not to mention pain killers, illegal drugs, and the like that are almost necessary to take the edge off the pain and stress and to allow a worker to perform better.

Pro wrestling is an inherently flawed industry where huge men are on a permanent rock-star-eque tour away from their families. I'd bet a zillion dollars if the WWE did away with a lot of house shows, and moved through the US/World at a slower pace then the working environment would be a lot, lot, lot safer.

Note: Please don't read into this and flame me. I'm NOT NOT NOT accusing the WWE for Benoit's apparent inexcusable actions. Just saying that we may never know what caused this breaking point, and a lighter stress load couldn't hurt.

Guest heat

Anyone heard of a press conference that should take place at 3 p.m. EST? I read that Fox News Channel reported sth like that.

Guest joshtothemaxx

How long did it take them to use Eddie? Since Eddie's was a freak, random-ish, drug-related thing, I say tack on 6-9 months.

And then I'll never watch the WWE ever, ever again.

How long before WWE will use this as an angle and vehicle for Snitsky?

I know it's a case of never say never with the F, but given the speed they've removed references to him, I can't see it.

Video of Local News Station Breaking The Benoit News Last Night

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2d...it-news-report

Grim details have been made available regarding the Benoit family tragedy. According to Dave Scherer of PWInsider.com, authorities believe that Chris Benoit strangled his wife Nancy on Saturday then either strangled or smothered his son in his bed on Sunday. According to reports, Benoit then hung himself on Monday in his weight room of his Georgia home.

According to an article on TMZ.com, one source told them that Benoit was text messaging friends during the airing of WWE’s Vengeance PPV this past Sunday and was possibly watching the show with his son Daniel, indicating that he may have been alive at the time.

The Fayetteville police department has advised media outlets that a press conference will take place in regards to the Benoit Family Tragedy this afternoon. The conference will reveal preliminary autopsy results of Chris Benoit, his wife Nancy and their son Daniel. One source expects the conference to begin at 3 p.m. EDT, although it may be sooner.

The first thing I thought of when I heard what Benoit had done was roid rage. I'm guessing the media may go with this angle as well.

This ties up with the theory that life as a wrestler lead to his downfall.

I'm taking a little break from Benoit chatter for a while. Be back later...I was going to make a joke about Chris killing Nancy with Flair chops. but decided against it, but then again kinda just did

How long did it take them to use Eddie?

A week with Chavo's retirement angle.

The WWE wont use this as an angle.

WWE.com has removed all the retrospectives.

It's the only thing they can do. It's time to go on with business as usual. No sense dwelling on what appears to be a horrible act performed by a despicable human being.

I'm taking a little break from Benoit chatter for a while. Be back later...I was going to make a joke about Chris killing Nancy with Flair chops. but decided against it, but then again kinda just did

Oh, Shannon.

:rolleyes:

This is without doubt the strangest bit of news I've heard all year and quite frankly underlines the point that Wrestling is a pretty shitty business to get into.

Well it isn't wrestling that would drive someone to do this.

Maybe I'm wrong to presume so, but Chris Benoit's life as a wrestler led him to this ending.

This happens more often than not in all walks of life. See MrRant's post right below yours.

If he was watching the PPV with his son, does that mean he watched it with him with the decaying corpse of his wife sitting next to him? That would prove to be a little bizarre and a LOT sick.

Guest joshtothemaxx

You guys watch movies like Saw and Red Dragon too much. (Not that it couldn't happen.)

It will be interesting to see if they can piece together some or most of his actions after committing the murders. They will check his phone records and can check with the people he talked to; they can read his text messages that he sent; they can check to see if he actually ordered the PPV; and they can check the hard-drive on his computer to see if he was online or commiunicating with anyone. After the time of deaths are established, there can be more added to the story even if there was not a note, which I am assuming there was not or it would most likely have been mentioned by now.

If he was watching the PPV with his son, does that mean he watched it with him with the decaying corpse of his wife sitting next to him? That would prove to be a little bizarre and a LOT sick.

The reports say her body was found in an office. From what I've read on the type of personality that suffers a psychotic break and then commits this crime - murdering their children - is that they don't really see it as something vindictive they're doing. Rather they see it as sending their child to a better place and protecting them in a way. So I doubt, in that mindset, the last thing that Benoit wanted his son to see was his mothers corpse. But, who knows for sure.

I have a feeling we're gonna hear more sick and despicable things before this is all said and done. Obviously the guy was out of his mind and I don't even want to think about all of the other things he could have done before taking his own life.

I have a feeling we're gonna hear more sick and despicable things before this is all said and done. Obviously the guy was out of his mind and I don't even want to think about all of the other things he could have done before taking his own life.

Been watching too much Katie Vick :(