TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BUTT

"A new Xbox 360 has been detected"?

So, a few nights ago, I was just on my computer, a I noticed in the taskbar a message came up saying "A new Xbox 360 has been detected on the network" and asked me if I wanted to connect it to my PC. So I clicked on the icon to see what was going on (normally I would have been apprehensive about this but my brother had previously mentioned buying a 360, so I figured he may have purchased it and connected it via the ethernet port, but it was real late at night and I didn't want to bother him). It opened up the Media Center interface and gave me the opportunity to connect it to my PC, but I didn't do it. However, it has come to my attention that my brother does NOT have an Xbox 360, and from doing a Google search I see many people have received the same message despite not having a 360. Now I'm not on a wireless network, so it couldn't be any kind of interference from another house or anything. So this makes me a little worried as I feel there are only two options:

1) I was using Soulseek to download music at the time. Could there have been some sort of interference from a user from whom I was downloading? (I really doubt this one.)

2) Some kind of wacky spyware/adware/malware. I just ran Ad-Aware and I had 48 critical objects (and 40 negligible objects). Oh shit. So that's probably it but I don't know about this particular bit of malware and what exactly it does.

So does anyone know anything more about this problem and exactly what is behind it?

No but Id recommend d/ling torrents of songs not using programs a la napster/limewire/gayshare whatever. Those are breeding grounds for virus'.