TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

Question about the very end. According to the Wikipedia entry summarizing the plot,

The final scene returns to footage from the month before, in which Rob and Beth enjoy a date at Coney Island, happy and carefree. Something falls out of the sky and splashes into the water in the distance, unnoticed.

Anyone else see that? If it's there, I missed it entirely.

I caught the fucking splash of it, but couldn't make out what dropped.

Saw it. LOVED IT. Will probably see it at least two more times with other groups of friends. Fucking hell that was an awesome ride of a movie!

Also - re: cellphones -

I think the reason Rob's cell worked in the Subway was because they were just inside the street entrance at the turnstiles. I don't know how it works in NYC, but in Toronto my cell doesn't stop working until I'm on the actual train and in the tunnels.

Guest LME

I had a good time watching this one, and was glad I got to see it in the theater. I imagine the impact won't be quite the same on DVD. The only complaints I really had were the

stupid 'going back to save the love interest' plot and the lack of explanation on the monster

. However, I understand why they added

that plot since that's a reason for these characters to still be around the monster instead of getting the hell out like most people would do

. Also, hearing about

something falling out of the sky during the last shot at Coney Island

eases my complaints about

the lack of explanation

at least somewhat.

I would've liked it more if Beth was dead by the time they got there. Would've added some more dramatic heft to the decision to go after her.

One of the people I saw this with got motion sickness, and the overall impression from the group was 'meh'. They just felt like there wasn't enough there. It was a lot shorter than I think any of us were expecting. One quote was "I wish I had my 7 bucks back".

I do think the extras on this DVD will be awesome and I will be picking it up. Wouldn't mind a sequel but I wonder how that would even work.

Good flick.

After seeing it, I agree with what someone said before about how a sequel could work with

the military reviewing this footage and that the monster is still around and they're still trying to figure out how to kill it off. You could even keep the same "handicam-experience" by having something like a military journalist following them around or something

As far as a sequel goes

I think the monster was killed by the nuke. The fact that the military had time to find the tape, review it, and put it out there, kind of proved to me that they must have killed the monster and it was over

I don't think there was a

nuke... just a total bombing of Manhattan, which is possible. Manhattan isn't that large geographically.

As far as a sequel goes

I think the monster was killed by the nuke. The fact that the military had time to find the tape, review it, and put it out there, kind of proved to me that they must have killed the monster and it was over

I don't think the idea was that the military was putting this footage out there - ie: airing it - I got the idea that you're just seeing it through someone elses eyes. Ie: someone is viewing it from the military, or someone else got their hands on it, who knows. With all of the "property of" "confidential" and "do not duplicate" watermarks all over the start and finish of it, I don't think it's something they'd give to the local news to air.

;)

I don't think there was a

nuke... just a total bombing of Manhattan, which is possible. Manhattan isn't that large geographically.

Ya. They just said

that they were gonna wipe out Manhattan with bombs. You can't control a nuclear bomb and how much area it affects. Especially with wind and other things, it would carry across some of the US.

Kinetic - cool. I misunderstood what you were getting at.

I think a "monster floods New Orleans" movie would only work if it had something to say about how fucked up the whole situation was, between poor government response to people turning on one another during the whole thing. Without giving anything away, I think Cloverfield escapes poor taste because of what it chose to spend it's time on. New Orleans and 9/11, to me, are divided mainly by the way the government and the immediate geographical victims reacted.

If an unprepared infrastructure totally disintegrates, leaving New Orleans unable to fight back against the thing until it spends itself and leaves, then there's something worth exploring there. Basically, a monster movie where we just abandon the city and we see how exceedingly fucked up that would be - that would be worth making (as a comparison).

Interesting ideas.

I don't understand why people aren't liking the film because it doesn't explain the monster's origin. The film is supposed to take place from the perspective of a person at the exact location when the attack happened. You're not gonna be looking for answers when you're running for your life.

and about the cell phone thing, once you enter the underground entrance, all cell phone use is impossible, at least that's how it is in NYC, where the film takes place.

Maybe they wanted to prove how great Nokia phones were.

Just came back from the movie and I gotta say, it was pretty awesome. I also missed that particular part but

stayed until after the credits (Which featured an awesome Gojira-like theme) to hear the quick sound clip saying it's still alive backwards.

I felt cheated by the ending and the rest of the theater agreed with me as they shouted out "That's it?!" and "That fucking sucked!" one group even started chanting "Buuuuuuuuuullshit" as the credits began to run. It gave Kayte motion sickness something terrible and thus ruined the rest of the evening for she and I.

Can't say I'd recommend this beyond a "If its on cable and you have nothing to do then check it out" type of thing.

It was one of the better movies I've been to the theater to see in the last couple of years. Between this or Sweeney Todd, totally this. I didn't stay through the credits, but it doesn't sound like what happened afterwards mattered MUCH to the story. Loved the ending,

especially how the only person who had a chance of survival was Lily, a character that wasn't really explored outside of her being Jason's girlfriend

, but I can see how people would call "bullshit," especially if they were expecting more of a true Hollywood ending (ie. everything is explained and/or works out all right), but the ending made total sense

considering Hud, Rob, and Beth didn't make it out of the blast area before the bombs were to be dropped

. That, and this is the kind of flick where

the main characters SHOULD die

Also, my girl noticed this...

The monster that ate Hud, the one that attacked them in Central Park, looked different than the main one in Manhattan. It had a more bulbous head, was darker, and wasn't as lanky as the main one. It looked less like the main monster and more like another one. So it's possible that the "it's still alive" was actually about another one.

I loved this movie, alot. I could do without the Handheld Camera thing but it did add to the movie alot. I had a hard time and did feel somewhat queasy here and there but it was worth it.

Question about the very end. According to the Wikipedia entry summarizing the plot,

The final scene returns to footage from the month before, in which Rob and Beth enjoy a date at Coney Island, happy and carefree. Something falls out of the sky and splashes into the water in the distance, unnoticed.

Anyone else see that? If it's there, I missed it entirely.

I caught the fucking splash of it, but couldn't make out what dropped.

It was a part of a satellite that fell into the ocean.

It's in the viral stuff on the different websites. The Japanese company that Rob was going to work for owned it. One theory is that when they went to retrieve it, that's when they disturbed the monster.

But the thing that fell from the sky is not the monster. It's just a satellite piece.

According to The Box Office Junkie (http://theboxofficejunkie.com)

"Cloverfield exploded onto the scene with an awesome $16.8 million on Friday. Paramount's experimental advertising campaign has paid off in a big way. I'm expecting this one to be very frontloaded, so a 3.0 multiplier over four days could be in order. Still, this would give Cloverfield an amazing $49 million over the holiday weekend."

How much did this film cost total, with ad expenses? cause it looks like they may break even on the film (ad costs too) just this weekend alone.

I felt cheated by the ending and the rest of the theater agreed with me as they shouted out "That's it?!" and "That fucking sucked!" one group even started chanting "Buuuuuuuuuullshit" as the credits began to run. It gave Kayte motion sickness something terrible and thus ruined the rest of the evening for she and I.

Can't say I'd recommend this beyond a "If its on cable and you have nothing to do then check it out" type of thing.

A winner is not you.

Good movie. Didn't seem as short as it was. I thought I was going to get sick during the party at the beginning because the camera is constantly moving and the focus goes in and out. Once shit goes down, I didn't notice the camera shaking too much (well, aside from the times when the cameraman was running). Overall, I liked it. Worth the hype.

Make sure you guys check out some of the new photos at http://www.1-18-08.com/ after you watch the movie.

Boo, I think.

Someone on a blog site thought there was two versions of the movie out. That'd be a trip.