TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

Sooo, is it worth the hype?

This is an interesting question, because the hype was almost a feint.

The hype was all monster, and it really wasn't the monster's movie. It's very much about the friends from the party, set against the back drop of a huge fuck off monster.

How do you sell that? Well, you could raise a shitload of hype over the monster, pack the theater on that basis, and then show them your movie which is quite good on it's own terms.

Seems to have worked: huge opening, positive reaction. I'm going again with two friends tomorrow, and one of them saw it already too.

Genius!

This is the first time in a long while that I've seen a movie during opening weekend, so the hype totally worked on me; that plus I knew I wouldn't be able to avoid spoilers for much longer.

Very much worth it; I felt the movie delivered everything it promised, and what more can you really ask for?

Also, I've had that 1-18-08.com site opened in another window for a little bit, and it just roared at me. Cool.

Few things:

For a monster movie where people were worried that they'd never show the monster, the monster (

A GIANT SHELL-LESS SNAIL???)

) sure did get plenty of screen time..almost too much if you consider that Hud was the one filming everytime cept for the news reports.

I did get a little queasy but nothing too bad. It was an ok movie, interesting concept for a monster movie. My $1 was well spent. I dont think you'll get the same experience from the DVD as well.

My one complaint though:

Near the end of the party theres a huge clock on the wall that read something close to 1 am. At the end they had to meet up with the helicopter by 6 am. Theres absolutely no way everything past the initial attack of the monster could have occured in a span of less than 5 hours.

Near the end of the party theres a huge clock on the wall that read something close to 1 am. At the end they had to meet up with the helicopter by 6 am. Theres absolutely no way everything past the initial attack of the monster could have occured in a span of less than 5 hours.

Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but... the key word being BY 6am. Meaning they had until 6am to get to the copter. Just because they got to the copter doesn't mean it was exactly at 6am...

If that's not what you're getting at, then why do you say that?

< 5hrs is a lot of time for a giant monster to wreck the city.

Not sure if this is what you're getting at, but... the key word being BY 6am. Meaning they had until 6am to get to the copter. Just because they got to the copter doesn't mean it was exactly at 6am...

From the initial attack They went up to the roof, down to the streets/ they were forced into the store during the one monster attack and then they aimlessly wandered around until they were forced towards the Brooklyn Bridge and then back after it collaped. They walked around, into the electronics store, then started walking to get to Beth's place and got run over by the military and forced into the Subway station where they sat for a good amount of time doing nothing but talking. Trekked through the subway, then sat in the drink machine room for a few, then found the dept store with the military, then they leave and march towards the building where they have to walk up some 50+ stories of the one building to get and save beth and back down the same 50 stories. I dont think they could have done all that in 5 hours. Not even Jack fucking Bauer on 24 could do all of that in 5 hours.

Hope that clears up my issue.

But has Jack Bauer ever had to deal with a fucking 65-foot high monster? No, I don't think so. Just your garden variety terrorists. Those are easy to stop: BANG, FUCKING DEAD. Giant fucking monster? Eh...tougher. Adrenaline does amazing things.

Then again, maybe the crew had FIGHTING SPIRIT~!

I still don't think it's a valid complaint. Aside from the few times that Hud stopped the camera, all of this happened pretty much in real-time.

I should note that I had a good group in the theatre.. like not WITH me, but everyone else in the theatre was great. They clapped and hooted for the Iron Man trailer and they also clapped when Cloverfield finished up. Lots of positive reactions in my showing.

I had no idea people have sensitive stomaches. At most I thought the camera would be a minor annoyance for people, not that they would actually throw up from it.

The only real issues I had with the camera being shaky was during the party. Camera was moving around and it was kind of hard to watch (had to look off screen a few times to get my bearings). Aside from that, the camera wasn't an issue at all....added something extra to the movie if you ask me.

From the initial attack They went up to the roof, down to the streets/ they were forced into the store during the one monster attack and then they aimlessly wandered around until they were forced towards the Brooklyn Bridge and then back after it collaped. They walked around, into the electronics store, then started walking to get to Beth's place and got run over by the military and forced into the Subway station where they sat for a good amount of time doing nothing but talking. Trekked through the subway, then sat in the drink machine room for a few, then found the dept store with the military, then they leave and march towards the building where they have to walk up some 50+ stories of the one building to get and save beth and back down the same 50 stories. I dont think they could have done all that in 5 hours. Not even Jack fucking Bauer on 24 could do all of that in 5 hours.

Hope that clears up my issue.

So you're saying

a giant fucking preying mantis type monster wrecking NYC is believable, but the time continuity is a stretch for you?

I should note that I had a good group in the theatre.. like not WITH me, but everyone else in the theatre was great. They clapped and hooted for the Iron Man trailer and they also clapped when Cloverfield finished up. Lots of positive reactions in my showing.

The Iron Man trailer was bad-ass, and I'm not even really into superhero movies. I think using the song Iron Man had alot to do with that though, also I think Robert Downey Jr. is the fucking man. That helps.

Just when I thought it couldn't get better, it does.

The rapper Ghostface Killah, who has been a long-time fan of Iron Man (he took the names of Iron Man and Tony Starks; he also titled his 1996 album "Ironman" and uses lyrics and images related to Iron Man comics/animated series), makes an appearance in this film as a Dubai tycoon.

The Iron Man trailer was bad-ass, and I'm not even really into superhero movies. I think using the song Iron Man had alot to do with that though, also I think Robert Downey Jr. is the fucking man. That helps.

Just when I thought it couldn't get better, it does.

The rapper Ghostface Killah, who has been a long-time fan of Iron Man (he took the names of Iron Man and Tony Starks; he also titled his 1996 album "Ironman" and uses lyrics and images related to Iron Man comics/animated series), makes an appearance in this film as a Dubai tycoon.

I enoyed some of Stark's comments regarding those huge missles in the trailer. This isn't an exact quote but it goes something like "I prefer my weapons to be 1 hit, and produce lots of Kills. It's the way God does it, it's the way man's been doing it...........seems to work pretty well". Genius. Really looking forward to this one, despite Tony Stark being the biggest prick in the Marvel universe over the past year or so.

In regards to Cloverfield,

has anyone gotten a good full-body shot of the monster? Whenever it seemed Hud had the whole thing in frame, it would only be for a second or so, never giving you time to focus on the monster. The closest and clearest shot was the one we got towards the end where Hud had a great upper-body shot of it, prior to getting mauled.

Few things:

For a monster movie where people were worried that they'd never show the monster, the monster (

A GIANT SHELL-LESS SNAIL???)

) sure did get plenty of screen time..almost too much if you consider that Hud was the one filming everytime cept for the news reports.

It looked nothing like

a giant snail. It looked more batlike to me.

After reading the manga, I have changed my viewpoint from "Cloverfield is unique and inventive" to "Cloverfield is derivative bullshit", on the assumption that

the bullied kid is controlling the monster

For those that have seen the movie, please read these links.

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/clov...matt-reeves.php

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/excl...r-came-from.php

Apparently the splash in the background of the Coney Island scene may not have been the Tagruato satellite crashing, it may have a younger baby monster which is the one that devours Hud while the adult is the one that got bombed to crap and who's carcass is in the new 1-18-08 website picture. So perhaps they killed the mother but not the baby, hence the "Help us, it's still alive" message at the end of the movie. A lot of people have said that the monster that devoured Hu and snuck up on them in Central Park didn't make the same amount of noise as the first monster shown attacking the city and looked a lot smaller so perhaps it actually was.

Hm maybe. The impression I got is that they're saying that the thing that splashed in the water was a baby at the time, but then evolved over a month into the giant monster. Then again, isn't JJ also quoted as saying that the monster has been asleep in the deep for thousands of years or something? I think someone is yanking our chain... Also - it kind of looks like a couple of whale carcasses in that new 01-18-08.com photo.

Check out the photo of the actual rig capcizing though.. there's something pixel-blurred out in the foregroud...

I saw it again and enjoyed it just as much. I picked up on a lot of the stuff I missed.

This movie is really funnier than it has any right to be. Yeah, Hud is hilarious, but Marlena is actually pretty funny in her own way too.

With all these hints and speculation and what not continuing even after the movie is out, I'm turning out to have more fun with this than I've had with a movie in years. I hope it becomes a long franchise.

I also saw this:

Cloverfield monster toy.

No picture yet. At $99, this seems like a pretty serious item. Kinda steep, but as a collector and a fan of the movie, I'll probably spring for it. Sadly I won't be able to bring myself to take it out of the box.