TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

That was a lot better in HD then the crappy cam movie theater trailer. You can actually hear all the noises...

I really hope the guy says, "It's alive and it's huge", and not "It's a lion, and it's huge".

Well, if it were a giant Chimera (head of a lion), then yes.

Anyway, so I'm on the Parasitemovie.com site and I wanted to see if the eyes graphic could be lightened to see anything else. Nothing there.. but what's funny is where the image source points to for where the file is being stored: http://www.sledriding.com/cloverfieldcousin/parasiteeyes.gif

Sledriding.com heh

I'm reading on a few boards about it, there are some theories as to what it is:

1. Godzilla

2. Cthulhu

3. Voltron

4. Remake of The Host

5. Generic Armageddon/end of world movie

6. A movie with Shiva, the hindu deity of destruction

7. Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen takes Manhattan

I'm really hoping it's Cthulhu. Though I know I may be disappointed with that one because rarely does anyone ever venture to make a serious big budget Lovecraftian movie - mostly because it's tough to translate his stories to film.. but with something like this, it could definitely work. Either way the trailer's done it's job and has really gotten my attention/interest.

Would Cthulhu be the worst of the Lovecraft cosmic horrors?

I memory is a bit foggy at the moment, but I think Yog Sothoth is. Cthulhu is the most popular one, mostly because of the Call of Cthulhu board game (which I've never played-not much of an RPG fan)

I highly doubt it's Godzilla. I'm going with some kind of Lovecraftian old one, or something similar, since the site talks about "Ancient Ones" and whatnot.

Would Cthulhu be the worst of the Lovecraft cosmic horrors?

I'd say so. There's a lot of debate amongst HP-nerds that Shoggoth's are worse - think the alien in The Thing and you'll have a good idea - essentially a gigantic shapeshifer.

If he's not the worst then he's certainly one of the most popular/standard references when it comes to Lovecraft.

Cthulhu's just an old favourite of mine. Not to say he's not menacing at all... if I saw a giant monster with bat wings and an octopus for a head, I'd probably lose my mind. ;)

Cthulhu's just an old favourite of mine. Not to say he's not menacing at all... if I saw a giant monster with bat wings and an octopus for a head, I'd probably lose my mind. ;)

Plus if the big thing just destroyed the Statue of Liberty and was headed this way, I'd piss my pants and then kiss my ass goodbye.

I may be alone in this, but I'm hoping it's a 20 story Ed Koch.

Guest Vitamin X
I'm reading on a few boards about it, there are some theories as to what it is:

1. Godzilla

2. Cthulhu

3. Voltron

4. Remake of The Host

5. Generic Armageddon/end of world movie

6. A movie with Shiva, the Hindu deity of destruction

7. Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen takes Manhattan

1. If there were a Godzilla project headed by J.J. Abrams and company, this would have gotten a lot more publicity, and the marketing campaign would be much different.

2. Possible, but Cthulhu's call is more alien and less fiery than what we see in that trailer.

3. I don't get why this is a popular theory. Voltron is a benevolent robot, hell the cartoon he stars in is Voltron: Defender of the Universe. Highly doubtful.

4. Too soon-The Host just came out like, last year and is relatively popular among American audiences unlike other asian remakes. Plus, the monster in The Host is/was a lot smaller, and probably not capable of fiery annihilation like what was being caused there.

5. No, it's a freakin' monster. I don't see any asteroids impacting earth.

6. I don't think this would be a viable idea with domestic audiences, or even foreign ones. Not marketable, but a decent idea. Pretty doubtful.

7. Oh, come on.

I'll be dissapointed if it isn't Cthulu-ish. I'd also accept a remake of the Creeping Terror.

3. I don't get why this is a popular theory. Voltron is a benevolent robot, hell the cartoon he stars in is Voltron: Defender of the Universe. Highly doubtful.

Only because they changed him, Go-Lion(Voltron) was nothing short of a giant asshole, for god's sake, he was going around the universe beating the crap out of everybody in sight and bragging that nobody could beat him, so he got busted into five pieces by a goddess because his arrogance pissed her off.

Go-Lion/Voltron isn't a nice robot, he's an asshole, plain and simple.

Edit: The plot summary for Hyakujuu Ou Golion;

Plot Summary: Golion, a powerful sentient robot, abuses his great powers by attacking and killing creatures known as Deathblack Beastmen, boasting that no one could defeat him. A divine space being punishes Golion for his arrogance and abuse by seperating him into 5 different lion robots. In the year 1999, a group of 5 young men return to Earth after a space voyage, only to find it ravaged by nuclear war. After encountering the alien race known as the Galra, the 5 youths end up on the planet Altea, and learn that the 5 lion robots that Golion was split into are in hibernation in various parts of Altea. Somehow, they must reunite the lions and form Golion, the only hope for the human race.

The parasite movie and ethanhasswasright/wrong sites are not related to the movie. This is directly from Abrams. Sorry guys. I would also bet that it has nothing to do with lovecraft.

Guest Vitamin X

I doubt that, but you do have to question if some people are going to be upset at that footage shown in the trailer. I know it's already been like, 6 years, but still.

I doubt that, but you do have to question if some people are going to be upset at that footage shown in the trailer. I know it's already been like, 6 years, but still.

War of the Worlds pretty much had NYC destroyed in the opening of the film. So I doubt there is much to say about this film destroying NYC. Now if he put the Towers into the movie via CGI just so he could destroy them? Oh yeah, that might piss people off.

And didn't the show 'Heroes' pretty much blow up NYC in an episode as well?

I have to say that the explosion in the trailer might not be directly from this monster. Ie: it doesn't have to be breathing fire - this could just be an explosion that it causes.

Apparently this site is coming up as connected to it as well: http://www.slusho.jp/index.html

Should also be noted that "Slusho" is a drink that's been mentioned in Abrams' series Alias before..

http://www.evespace.com/alias/default.php?.../transcript1e02

About 52 seconds into the trailer there is also a shot of one of the party guests and he's wearing a Slusho t-shirt..

I saw a screencap posted on the IMDB board that was supposedly taken from an article in which Abrams confirmed it was a sea-monster movie.

Could you link the thread that it's in? I can't seem to find it..

I have to say that the explosion in the trailer might not be directly from this monster. Ie: it doesn't have to be breathing fire - this could just be an explosion that it causes.

Apparently this site is coming up as connected to it as well: http://www.slusho.jp/index.html

Should also be noted that "Slusho" is a drink that's been mentioned in Abrams' series Alias before..

http://www.evespace.com/alias/default.php?.../transcript1e02

About 52 seconds into the trailer there is also a shot of one of the party guests and he's wearing a Slusho t-shirt..

The history of Slusho is awesome, just awesome. If anyone hasn't read it, go to the site and read it. It's just a fantastic story for a drink.

BET YOU CAN'T DRINK JUST SIX!!!!

Whatever, deep sea ingrediants turning people into other things still makes me pine for Cthulhu like stories...

I saw a screencap posted on the IMDB board that was supposedly taken from an article in which Abrams confirmed it was a sea-monster movie.

Could you link the thread that it's in? I can't seem to find it..

I'll do you one better. I found the site which the screencap is posted.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/07/06/jj-abr...ut-cloverfield/

For those who don't want to click, this is the screencap in question-

elsewherecloverfield.jpg

Guest Vitamin X

Plus, that just looks like a Google AdSense Ad. Not exactly reliable.

Yup, and you have to consider that Rob, the guy they're throwing the party for in the trailer, is headed over to Japan.. so at least that's something of interest..