TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Cloverfield

Apparently most of you know way more about this than me...I have no clue who Ethan Hass is and I've only heard of Lovecraft...the Hass websites make no sense to me...so can somebody at least tell me what he has to do with this movie...I have a wierd Blair Witch vibe coming from this trailer where people are acting like there's some reality to "Cloverfield/Slusho" project...if this buzz catches on to the mainstream media this could be a lot of fun....

Apparently most of you know way more about this than me...I have no clue who Ethan Hass is and I've only heard of Lovecraft...the Hass websites make no sense to me...so can somebody at least tell me what he has to do with this movie...I have a wierd Blair Witch vibe coming from this trailer where people are acting like there's some reality to "Cloverfield/Slusho" project...if this buzz catches on to the mainstream media this could be a lot of fun....

The Haas websites have nothing to do with the movie.

Some interesting tidbits (more or less speculation) from Monsterzero.us:

Nothing else is officially known, except that this is a very top secret project made under the codename Cloverfield, and that is being produced by J.J Abrams. It was greenlighted by Paramount back in February, the same time he signed on to direct the next Star Trek film. All Abrams has publically revealed is that it involves a large monster, and it will shot in the handheld camera style of Blair Witch, to give the film a more realistic air. There is a website www.1-18-08.com, which only show two timestamped pictures. One of some partygoers enjoying some drinks, and another that could possibly reveal a clue about the monster (for right now, know only as The Parasite. The second picture shows the faces of two frightened women--but between their faces there seems to be a glimpse of a reptilian creature. An interesting detail that may confirm this is that the song The Joker and the Thief, from the band Wolfmother, is playing in the background at the party. The song contains the lyric standing in a field of clover, and the cd cover is said to show a large lizard.

wolfmother.jpg

There is no way someone can consider making a movie based on something from a Wolfmother song. I mean seriously, it's Wolfmother.

Nah, I think they're just drawing a loose connection in that. Ie: the song chosen, and the cover of the album, these might just be after the fact hints at what the monster could be. If not, then possibly just where they got the "project cloverfield" name from.

For the most part the only thing that really interested me was where they mention that you can see something between the two girls faces on the site.. it does look like something, but it could also just be their hair..

The more I look at this, the more I am starting to doubt it's Cthulhu or any of the old ones. Guilmero Del Toro (sic?) actually wants to do an adaptation of Lovecraft's story "In the Mountain of Madness" (he wrote the screenplay, but the future is pending, as he has yet to do "Hellboy II" and an adaptation of Tarzan on the way apparently, as well as uncertain, since I honestly can't see Hollywood getting behind a faithful adaptation of a Lovecraft story)

Also, with the sea monster thing, maybe it's the Kraken. I mean, "ancient ones" may be referring to something out of mythology...

I just know I'll be dissapointed with whatever the monster turns out to be now.

And the most interesting advertising for the movie wasn't for the movie at all.

He could be.. but it's generally accepted that he's alien/from another dimension. I think the "sea" notion comes into play because he's really a giant octopus with a "human" like body and wings, and in the story Call of Cthulhu a lot the encounter takes place in the ocean. Cthuhu is also said to be entombed in R'lyeh which is at the bottom of the Pacific.

I should also note that I will be happy even if this monster is inspired by Cthulhu. Sure it'll be fucking awesome if they say it's him, etc. but if it's not, and it's something Lovecraftian in it's own right, I'll still be cool with it.

With a marketing campaign this awesome, I would not be surprised at all if it was something completely gay.

They need to add the special sauce to marketing for a reason, right?

If JJ Abrams wasn't involved...I'd already have written it off.

I doubt that, but you do have to question if some people are going to be upset at that footage shown in the trailer. I know it's already been like, 6 years, but still.

The 9/11 thing was a joke...

Guest Vitamin X
I doubt that, but you do have to question if some people are going to be upset at that footage shown in the trailer. I know it's already been like, 6 years, but still.

It's not in reference to what you said. Some people brought it up at the IMDB boards, actually.

It's not in reference to what you said. Some people brought it up at the IMDB boards, actually.

Whatever it is... if it doesn't have enough toes, they better explain it.

Also, you live in Portland and seem to like grafitti. Have you seen the "Too Many Hipsters, Not Enough Crime" all around SE?

Guest Vitamin X

I haven't crossed the Hawthorne in a while, but that doesn't surprise me. I think I might have seen that up by Alberta last night, actually.

Guest Vitamin X

Seems to me thus far it's to show how much time elapsed throughout the whole trailer. The party in the apartment, before the earthquake was at 12:31am, they were up on the rooftop by 12:36am, and down in the streets running by 12:48am, where they had their cute little moment with the statue of liberty.

VH1's show 'The Best Week Ever' declared the people going nuts on the internet over the teaser trailer are having the best week ever.

"I say, I'm going to destroy your city!"

Had me laughing for five minutes straight. :)

WOMANNNNNNNNN

YOU KNOW YOU WOMANNNNNNNNN

YOU GOT TO BE A WOMANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIGOTTHEFEEEEELINGOFLOOOOOVE

This made me laugh.

It also made me want to gouge out my eardrums. Fucking most overrated rock band on the planet now not named Green Day. We're to the point where Zeppelin cover bands are ruling modern rock charts.

There is a fourth photo up on http://www.1-18-08.com/

It's a blurry "running in the street" photo - but you can make out a soldier and some civilian types.

Also, projectcloverfield.com has a few more entries up, including what could be leaked footage of some random people running the streets + military vehicles, and down the page a bit is another photo that was apparently found on the Slusho.jp site that could be some indication as to what the monster is (or not).

Guest Smues

It isn't a parasite, and it isn't a Japanese robot. So it could still be Gamera. Gamera is friend to children!