TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC Fight Night 11

I figured I'd start a thread for this since we already have threads for some events taking place at much later time points. This is shaping up to be another great Spike TV card. Here is the lineup as of now...

Chris Leben vs. Mike Swick

Spencer Fisher vs. Din Thomas

Thiago Alves vs. Kuniyoshi Hironaka

As well as fights with Luke Cummo and "The Emotional Fighter" Nathan Diaz.

I'm big into the top 2 just because. I think that since the WEC bout that Swick has progressed much more than Leben and he will win in the 1st TKO by strikes.

First glance I figured Fisher easily over Thomas, but Din has been bringing his A game since dropping to 155 and that was a sick armbar he put on Stephens in his last bout. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Din win via sub in the 2nd round.

I'm not familiar with Hironaka so I can't comment.

And Nathan Diaz via 1st round sub vs. whatever tomato can they give him and hopefully Luke Cummo loss via strikes in 15 seconds to whoever.

Man, there's not too many true cans at 155. I'm thinking that they match Nate up against Gilliam, Varner, Alvin Robinson or Mishima.

Cummo's a strange one, but if they stick him in with a wrestler he's gonna be in trouble. He's got surprising power in his strikes. so you can't dismiss him so quickly.

Nate Diaz vs Joe Lauzon would be a fine and dandy fight to make considering many people had that pegged for the final and Nate himself said during the filming of the show that he wanted to call Joe out.

Mik- Have you actually seen the first Leben/Swick fight? Swick drops to his knees more time then a crack whore looking for a hit off a glass dick. Leben tooled him before and unless Swick has developed some Anderson Silva-like ability to punch (which the Okami fight shows he hasn't) then I'm going with Leben again. Interesting note to this fight is that Leben is attempting a cut to 170 to see if he could pull it off but Swick has agreed to meet Chris at whatever weight works best.

I think 170 would be a bad move for Leben as he would probably lose a lot of power at that weight.

I agree that Leben is still a bad matchup for Swick, but he has developed as a fighter so I think Swick should pull it off. Leben is no Okami when it comes to, well, anything.

The only bit I saw from the first fight is the clip they showed on TUF1, so admittedly not much.

My thinking is that Swick advanced as a fighter from the show and afterwards while Leben stayed the same (or even maybe regressed with that loss to Starnes) and that would be enough for Swick to avenge the loss.

But I guess it's a moot point now.

And Diaz v. Lauzon would be a more than suitable fight for this card. That could be a ppv fight, I think.

Ol' Glass Jaw Jonathon Goulet has apparently caught the attention of UFC by rallying for a fight with Swick on Canadian forums and it seems to be working as there are rumors floating about at the moment that UFC is working with both fighters camps to make it happen for this show.

So......uh........Swick by KO? Does it even need to be said?

Swick could be a beast at 170. It seems like a makeable weight for him, I wonder why he hasn't done it sooner

It's probably similar to Brandon Vera, where he simply doesn't want to cut that much weight going into a fight.

BTW, we've got Gray Maynard vs Joe Veres and apparently Leben's taking on Terry Martin at UFN 11. Dunno if Leben thinks that's an easier fight or something, but last I checked Martin's been doing pretty darn good at 185, and Leben doesn't have a flying knee in his arsenal.

Yeah, Terry Martin looked pretty damn good in his last fight.

He was looking a lot more thin and a lot less like Prop Joe. I hope he kills Leben. How can Leben even talk shit or talk tough again after so publicly dodging a fight?

And Gray is still saying he wasn't knocked out.

I don't see Leben taking either Swick or Martin. He's 1-3 in his last 4 fights, you'd think they'd try and build him up again before giving him someone that can trash him

I think he's on the last fight of his contract, and really, the UFC has gotten about as much as they can out of him. It's pretty obvious at this point that Leben's not going to get any better than he is, and no doubt he's looking to get more than Dana knows he's worth. So I'm thinking that they're trying to line up Martin for a title shot, and beating the paint off Leben's head would give Martin some credibility with the casual fans other than "the guy who got hit with the flying knee. No, that's McCarthy. No, not him either - that's Wiman. The black guy".

Updated card....

Spencer Fisher vs Din Thomas

Mike Swick vs Jonathon Goulet

Terry Martin vs Chris Leben

Nate Diaz vs Junior Assuncao

Luke Cummo vs Edilberto Crocota

Cole Miller vs Leonard Garcia

NATE QUARRY vs Pete Sell II

That's right, Nate Quarry. And he's back against Pete Sell. Again.

Miller-Garcia. That could be a fun fight.

I'd heard that Quarry had undergone surgery last year, so good to hear he's making a comeback.

Yeah, Cole Miller vs. Leonard Garcia is one I hope makes air.

I'd like to see Quarry vs. Sell on air, as well.

And apparently we'll be getting Kenny Florian vs Din Thomas in it's place. Sucks that I won't get me any King on free tv but my Ken-Flo love grows with every fight so I'm happy.

I think that actually makes this a more important fight.

If the title goes vacant, you can probably all but book the winner of this fight into the title shot (hopefully against B.J.).