TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nighthawk

Hot Dog Thread

I really enjoy Target hot dogs.

I've never thought to try them. Since the Target in Riverside is one I know you've gone to while at school, I shall give their weiners a try.

Toronto street meat is probably the best as far as hot dogs and sausages I've had. I haven't been to many of these supposed hot spots in the U.S. though.

Agreed. There is one outside Union Station that is fantastic, and also Gate 6 by the Skydome. Those two places are the best street meat in Toronto.

My favorite hot dogs are from a place called Peep's in Arlington Heights. It's a true hot dog stand. Vienna Beef neon signs, some generic 80s poster that just says "CHOCOLATE SHAKES" on it with a picture of a shake, the front page of the Tribune after the Bears won the Super Bowl, all that jazz. Nothing about the place has ever seemed to change, while everything around it at that intersection has. That makes it special for me, a scared-of-change type. The hot dogs are great, too, as are the Polishes and Italian beef. The only problem with Portillo's is that there's too much atmosphere. It's too dark and loud and restaurant-y, which is ideal on some occasions, but me, I like the dated no-frills feel of a true Chicago hot dog stand.

I'll be making a visit to Arlington Heights in the near future for work, so I'll take a shot at that venue.

I tried the Portillo's in Buena Park. It was pretty good, they were missing the celery salt on the dogs though and they were a little pricey. There's a place in Burbank called Taste Chicago which is a little hole in the wall owned by Joe Mantengna

I tried the Portillo's in Buena Park. It was pretty good, they were missing the celery salt on the dogs though and they were a little pricey. There's a place in Burbank called Taste Chicago which is a little hole in the wall owned by Joe Mantengna

California has Portillo's??? :huh:

I only make hotdogs at home.

Hebrew Nationals, put them in the broiler for like 4 minutes, topped with chilli, cheese, mustard, bacon, onions and jalapenos.

Greatest fucking thing in the fucking world.

California has Portillo's??? :huh:

It's in Buena Park off La Palma in the BP Mall Center. Allegedly, they are opening 3 more in CA someday.

There's a place in Burbank called Taste Chicago which is a little hole in the wall owned by Joe Mantengna

I went there when it was new, and they didn't have many employees. Mrs. Mantegna worked there, on the cash registers. After I got my sandwich I handed over 20 dollars to pay. She looked at it, confused, and asked if I was giving her a tip. She forgot that I didn't even pay yet.

Actually, that reminds me that there have been more times where I could've gotten free food just because the employees forgot to ask for money...

There's a place in Burbank called Taste Chicago which is a little hole in the wall owned by Joe Mantengna

I went there when it was new, and they didn't have many employees. Mrs. Mantegna worked there, on the cash registers. After I got my sandwich I handed over 20 dollars to pay. She looked at it, confused, and asked if I was giving her a tip. She forgot that I didn't even pay yet.

Actually, that reminds me that there have been more times where I could've gotten free food just because the employees forgot to ask for money...

How's the food?

My family has always and will continue to buy that mixed beef/chicken/pork Bar S brand no matter what. I hate them and need to load them up with whatever I can to disguise the taste. That's one of two instances in which I use ketchup, the other being charcoal grilling which, as Milky said, tastes good.

Hey. I like sauerkraut a lot. There are fewer things better than frying up sauerkraut, onions, and peppers together, and slopping that mess on whatever I can.

Guest MRK

^

That's why I only buy Nathan's.

I usually boil the Nathan's dogs for 7-10 minutes. Have 'em ghetto style with sliced bread so all I taste is the Nathan's hot dog and not a mouthful of bread. No ketchup, mustard or sauerkraut. Although I like the condiments, never on my Nathan's dogs, only on the cheaper brands when I have no other choice.

When I was in high school, a few kids on the bus were talking about making hot dogs. One kid said he likes to slice the dog open before cooking it so it can get bigger and spread out as it cooks. I tried that once and it's a total waste of a hot dog. All the natural juices is drained into the boiling water. All you're left with is a dog with a v-shaped gash in the middle of it.

Anyone else like 'em ghetto style or you gotta have hot dog buns?

Guest Vitamin X

I don't mind it ghetto style at all, actually, but not everyone boils hot dogs. The slicing open before cooking makes sense if you're broiling or especially when microwaving.

Yeah, nuke a dog without a cut? You got Dog Bits.

There is a Gandolfo's New York Sub place in town that I just noticed had Nathan's Hot Dogs, it's it worth dropping 3.50 on?

Guest Vitamin X

Man, how long do you nuke your dogs for? I nuke em a lot without cutting them. I usually do 30-40 seconds, personally. Oh, and I do it with the bun inside, which some might call blasphemy. Sorry, not a big fan of toasted bun.

And Nathan's are definitely worth it. Bust it out Chicago style with the celery salt, onions, sport peppers, etc.

How's the food?

Just OK, a little expensive for what it is. I guess Italian beef isn't my thing, cause I didn't really like that, or the pizza. The meatball subs are better than most, though, and they might have some good desserts.

Guest •

Aw, c'mon, Italian beef with giardiniera is great. Deep-dish pizza is really good if you only have it now and then. It's not a weekly thing.

What's so wrong with ketchup-only hot dogs ? There are better ways to eat one but it gets the job done.

I'm a ketchup whore anyway. Until college, ketchup was the only way to go when I was making sandwiches. I was the only one in my circle of friends that put ketchup in his sandwich and the other couldn't believe how I could stomach that. There's no way I was the only one who put ketchup in his sandwiches.....no ?

Guest Vitamin X

I don't think he said anything about fine Italian cold cuts, though. Could be just run of the mill meats from the store. I have had some sandwiches in the past before, however, that had ketchup on meat and some of them didn't taste too bad, actually.

What IS ketchup good for, anyways? Mayo is superior for fries, mustard for sandwiches, and hot sauce for everything else.

Yeah I know, but that's just what I was thinking of. I can't imagine it going well with any kind of deli meats to be honest.

I still like ketchup on fries. I'm not a big mayo guy. MAYBE on a burger, but probably not unless there's not really anything else available.

Ketchup isn't bad on anything. You guys are just prudes.

Ketchup on sandwiches are gross. I like ketchup on fries and burgers and can tolerate it on eggs. I've even learned to accept those who commit the act of soiling their hot dogs with the red devil sauce. But ketchup on any kind of sandwich sounds disgusting.