TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE General Discussion for August 2007

The problem is that if they booked Punk as a heel, his act is so unique he'd still get cheered...he'd basically be the 2007 version of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. I don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but I don't think that's where they want to go with him. Frankly, I think the "slow burn" type push they're giving him now is a good thing. When he finally wins the ECW Title, it will actually mean something, rather than just hot-shotting it onto him.

True he'd get cheered. Even in his best heel promos I've seen on youtube, he's cheered, he's just too damn good. Just hope he gets promoted to another brand quickly enough so that the ECW title doesn't become so uninteresting as the RAW one (at this moment).

I wonder if Vince will just go out and ignore the limo incident as though it never happened. Or if they will pick up with that angle with Vince coming out in heavy bandages a la the Invisible Man.

My guess is that they might briefly mention the limo incident, or allude to it, but that's about it. You know, McMahon comes out and says "Well, I'm back from my little vacation", or something like that.

--There are meetings today and tomorrow regarding what to do about the Raw rating on Monday. Vince is encouraging ideas out of the box to turn things around. The writing team is said to be under major stress. I guess the big idea is Vince returning to Raw in the opening segment of Monday's show.

Maybe the 2.5 has opened up Vince's mind a little.

--If you are wondering what the plans were, Sky Sports Magazine in the U.K. has a SummerSlam ad listing Umaga vs. The Jackass crew headlined by Johnny Knoxville and John Cena vs. Edge as the main events for the show.

I know it almost sounds ridiculous in its simplicity, but couldn't WWE send its writers on a retreat somewhere for 7-10 days to let them re-think the direction of the company? Just totally get them away from the office, the road, the internet, and their families and get them thinking about how to turn things around. Hand them a roster and tell them to return when they've got ideas for everybody, have outlined two to three major angles and 6-12 months of storylines. Do the same thing with the production crew so that we get a different look for the shows.

I know it almost sounds ridiculous in its simplicity, but couldn't WWE send its writers on a retreat somewhere for 7-10 days to let them re-think the direction of the company? Just totally get them away from the office, the road, the internet, and their families and get them thinking about how to turn things around. Hand them a roster and tell them to return when they've got ideas for everybody, have outlined two to three major angles and 6-12 months of storylines. Do the same thing with the production crew so that we get a different look for the shows.

Only if it's in Guyana.

This Monday night, live on Raw, Mr. McMahon strikes back. Find out what this means by tuning in to on Raw at 9/8 CT on USA Network.

-WWE.com

Any idea what this is going to be?

It doesn't even make any fucking sense. Vince's last "feud" was with Lashley and they just shelved him. After that he went loco, and then went kablammo. What would he have to strike back about? I don't think it's going to be "Fuck Chris Benoit" night, but that's about the only thing Vince has to on-air complain about that anybody remembers.

Maybe he strikes back at the Raw roster for losing 0.9 points in the ratings during his absence. Shouts at them for not trying know that the 'Boss' was away. Yeah I know, a long shot.

I just can't see how anything good can come from Vince returning to our screens to tell us it's our fault. I'm certain he'll tell us that we're not cheering for the guys he wants us to cheer for and thus we are killing the company.

This time it will be a someone from the audience.

Who wins the World Heavyweight championship from the unbeatable Khali due to interference from Batista?

Wait, Raw's in America this week. Nevermind.

but couldn't WWE send its writers on a retreat somewhere

Only if it's in Guyana.

Sadly, the many ignoramusi who make constant "Kool-Aid" jokes about ECW will have no idea what the fuck you're talking about there.

Dave Meltzer joined Bill Simmons on "BS Report" podcast on ESPN.com today. If you want to hear two guys bury WWE for 45 minutes and then hear The Sports Guy talk about Eric Gagne & Wilson Betimet, head over to web site of the Worldwide Leader.

The Simmons podcast is an interesting listen. I think Bill and Meltzer touch on some interesting aspects of the business cycle.

Anyone else who listen to the podcast tell us what you think of it.

It didn't seem like a burial to me.

Somewhat disconcerting about no future stars. I would of guessed Shawn Spears was barely over 200 pounds, listening to Meltzer. He's 6-3 235. He doesn't have great size for the WWE, but if the right people get behind him. He could turn into something.

I think Vince McMahon is going to give a rah-rah speech about the wwe and shoot on the media critics, the government and the dirtsheets and try to rally the fanbase to make it "Us vs Them".

Hmmm...I think you just hit it right there, with the whole "Strikes Back" phrasing. Vince is going to piss all over the media on Monday Night, I'm guessing.

It doesn't help my perception of Spears when Cody Rhodes went out on OVW and badmouthed his former partner (now enemy) saying he was "A balding, glorified indy worker." To be honest, he's pretty much accurate.

Dave Meltzer joined Bill Simmons on "BS Report" podcast on ESPN.com today. If you want to hear two guys bury WWE for 45 minutes and then hear The Sports Guy talk about Eric Gagne & Wilson Betimet, head over to web site of the Worldwide Leader.

Interesting, given that's not really what they did. They had an in-depth discussion of the Benoit tragedy and why Simmons stopped watching and why he felt other fans had to.

But Meltzer is the suck though!

Interesting, given that's not really what they did. They had an in-depth discussion of the Benoit tragedy and why Simmons stopped watching and why he felt other fans had to.

But Meltzer is the suck though!

One man's burial is everybody else's fair appraisal of the facts.

I don't think it was a burial of the WWE. They touched upon the whole aspect of pro wrestling and why it isn't as popular as it was before.

What I found interesting was Simmons who is only a casual fan, was able to identify for the most part the troubles that are hurting the sport. His comment about the Hardy Boyz was spot on.

I thought it was Heyman and the Dudleys who put Bearer in concrete, not the Cabinet?

Incidentally, with the whole 'stable' discussion, does no-one remember King Booker's Court? You know, who basically made Lashley's life... well, mildly inconvenient... for however many months? However, I've always been a fan of stables and something like that would appeal to me greatly. Unfortunately I don't think the WWE comprehends the idea of even two guys with a common goal anymore, let alone three, four or five.

The Madison Square Garden Network has hired Jonathan Coachman as Host/Reporter for the network's sports and entertainment show MSG, NY. Coachman will begin appearing sometime before the end of August. As part of the gig, Coachman will also work as a remote reporter for other New York area sports teams and provide stories for the show. Thanks to Mike Informer for all his help today.

Decent read about King Booker. Says he doesn't see himself going back to Booker T, which I think someone posted before but not sure.

King to visit Akron in the Raw

WWE's talented Booker thrived on a tag team, now shows much flair working alone in ring

By Scott Fishman Miami Herald

Published on Thursday, Aug 02, 2007

After taking off time to recuperate from nagging injuries, World Wrestling Entertainment's King Booker left the SmackDown! kingdom with Queen Sharmell to invade Raw.

He was sent to Raw during the show's 3-hour draft special. A talented wrestler who made a very successful transition from prominent tag-team glory to singles' stardom, he is ready to conquer new quests.

''I'm a soldier,'' said Booker, who will battle Jeff Hardy when WWE presents the Biggest Party of Summer at the James A. Rhodes Arena in Akron.

''Just give me my gun, and I'll go into battle. It doesn't matter if I'm on Raw or SmackDown! I really don't want to be on ECW. If I got drafted to ECW, I probably would have resigned to be honest.

''Being drafted back to Raw is a great thing. I'm looking forward to going in there and just continuing what I do, and that's wrestle, performing and giving the crowd what they want to see.''

At 42, King Booker has done just about everything he set to accomplish and more. However, having his off-screen wife and on-screen Queen Sharmell by his side has reignited the competitive fire within him.

''Her and I are a team,'' said Booker, who married Sharmell, a former Nitro Girl dancer and performer for World Championship Wrestling, in 2005. ''Business is always business, and personal is always personal. When we are at our job, we know we have a job to do. We do it, leave it at the job and don't take it home with us.

''When we're at home, it's totally different. It is from a different standpoint.''

Along with his constant road schedule, Booker helps run a wrestling school with his brother and former tag-team partner Stevie Ray near his home in Houston. The training academy runs events under the Pro Wrestling Alliance banner.

Students not only obtain needed and necessary experience in front of crowds but also watch first-hand WWE superstars like Matt Hardy, past superstars like Too Cold Scorpio and TNA's Team 3D (formerly ECW and WWE's Dudley Boys).

King Booker wants to give back.

''Wrestling took me places I never imagined,'' said Booker, the youngest of eight children who didn't let growing up in a rough neighborhood deter him from his goals. ''I never dreamed of being a wrestler. It was just something that worked out for me. I was just a neighborhood kid and nobody around was wrestling.

''It was like a hobby and an escape where I could be a different person at the moment. It wasn't about the money. It was just about having fun. Next thing you know some people call me and offer me a contract. Then it became a job, and then it became a career.

That is the way you have to look at it because you never know where it's going to take you.''

Booker's career began to take off in WCW as a member of Harlem Heat with his brother Stevie Ray. The two enjoyed 11 reigns as world tag team champions.

Women's wrestling trailblazer Sherri Martel, born Sherri Russell, helped lead the charge as their manager during successful times. Martel, a WWE Hall of Famer, passed away at age 49 on June 15.

''It's a tragic event,'' said Booker, who gave away Sherri, the bride, at her wedding. ''My mother passed just about the same age as Sherri.

''She was great. She was the catalyst and the one who made Harlem Heat who we were. She made us bigger than life. It was like she was my sister. We called her Sister Sherri, and that is pretty much what she was to us. We know Sherri is in a better place.''

As the superstar moves along to another phase of his career, the King Booker persona remains.

''I don't ever think I'll be Booker T again,'' said the king, who began his monarchy by winning the 2006 King of the Ring. ''I'm King Booker in the ring, and the people want to see me as King Booker. That character has really taken off. It has really gotten over the top that I think we're just going to keep on rolling with it and see where it goes. It's always good to have royalty around.''

Also at the Akron event, John Cena and Randy Ortonwill battle in the WWE Championship Match; Lashley will take on Umaga in a Special Challenge Match and Paul London and Brian Kendrick will fight Lance Cadeand Trevor Murdochin in a World Tag Team Championship Match.

Candice and Mickie James will face Melina and Jillian in a RAW Diva Tag Team Match; Santino Marella will take on Snitsky; Val Venis will battle Sly (Maryse) and Cody Rhodes will fight William Regal.

Those who can't get enough of King Booker can listen to his radio show Tea Time with King Booker online at the 790 Sports Animal Web site.

For information on King Booker, Queen Sharmell and the wrestling training center in Houston, go to http://www.bookertonline.com.

After taking off time to recuperate from nagging injuries, World Wrestling Entertainment's King Booker left the SmackDown! kingdom with Queen Sharmell to invade Raw.

He was sent to Raw during the show's 3-hour draft special. A talented wrestler who made a very successful transition from prominent tag-team glory to singles' stardom, he is ready to conquer new quests.

''I'm a soldier,'' said Booker, who will battle Jeff Hardy when WWE presents the Biggest Party of Summer at the James A. Rhodes Arena in Akron.

''Just give me my gun, and I'll go into battle. It doesn't matter if I'm on Raw or SmackDown! I really don't want to be on ECW. If I got drafted to ECW, I probably would have resigned to be honest.

''Being drafted back to Raw is a great thing. I'm looking forward to going in there and just continuing what I do, and that's wrestle, performing and giving the crowd what they want to see.''

At 42, King Booker has done just about everything he set to accomplish and more. However, having his off-screen wife and on-screen Queen Sharmell by his side has reignited the competitive fire within him.

''Her and I are a team,'' said Booker, who married Sharmell, a former Nitro Girl dancer and performer for World Championship Wrestling, in 2005. ''Business is always business, and personal is always personal. When we are at our job, we know we have a job to do. We do it, leave it at the job and don't take it home with us.

''When we're at home, it's totally different. It is from a different standpoint.''

Along with his constant road schedule, Booker helps run a wrestling school with his brother and former tag-team partner Stevie Ray near his home in Houston. The training academy runs events under the Pro Wrestling Alliance banner.

Students not only obtain needed and necessary experience in front of crowds but also watch first-hand WWE superstars like Matt Hardy, past superstars like Too Cold Scorpio and TNA's Team 3D (formerly ECW and WWE's Dudley Boys).

King Booker wants to give back.

''Wrestling took me places I never imagined,'' said Booker, the youngest of eight children who didn't let growing up in a rough neighborhood deter him from his goals. ''I never dreamed of being a wrestler. It was just something that worked out for me. I was just a neighborhood kid and nobody around was wrestling.

''It was like a hobby and an escape where I could be a different person at the moment. It wasn't about the money. It was just about having fun. Next thing you know some people call me and offer me a contract. Then it became a job, and then it became a career.

That is the way you have to look at it because you never know where it's going to take you.''

Booker's career began to take off in WCW as a member of Harlem Heat with his brother Stevie Ray. The two enjoyed 11 reigns as world tag team champions.

Women's wrestling trailblazer Sherri Martel, born Sherri Russell, helped lead the charge as their manager during successful times. Martel, a WWE Hall of Famer, passed away at age 49 on June 15.

''It's a tragic event,'' said Booker, who gave away Sherri, the bride, at her wedding. ''My mother passed just about the same age as Sherri.

''She was great. She was the catalyst and the one who made Harlem Heat who we were. She made us bigger than life. It was like she was my sister. We called her Sister Sherri, and that is pretty much what she was to us. We know Sherri is in a better place.''

As the superstar moves along to another phase of his career, the King Booker persona remains.

''I don't ever think I'll be Booker T again,'' said the king, who began his monarchy by winning the 2006 King of the Ring. ''I'm King Booker in the ring, and the people want to see me as King Booker. That character has really taken off. It has really gotten over the top that I think we're just going to keep on rolling with it and see where it goes. It's always good to have royalty around.''

Also at the Akron event, John Cena and Randy Ortonwill battle in the WWE Championship Match; Lashley will take on Umaga in a Special Challenge Match and Paul London and Brian Kendrick will fight Lance Cadeand Trevor Murdochin in a World Tag Team Championship Match.

Candice and Mickie James will face Melina and Jillian in a RAW Diva Tag Team Match; Santino Marella will take on Snitsky; Val Venis will battle Sly (Maryse) and Cody Rhodes will fight William Regal.

Those who can't get enough of King Booker can listen to his radio show Tea Time with King Booker online at the 790 Sports Animal Web site.

For information on King Booker, Queen Sharmell and the wrestling training center in Houston, go to http://www.bookertonline.com.