TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Silversun Pickups

Admit it, as soon as this post punk thing started to get stale, you knew a ‘90s

alternative rock revival was only a matter of time. And the band leading the way,

Silversun Pickups have caught my ear. They sort of compliment Smashing Pumpkins,

and Sonic Youth. I was giving up searching for good music for awhile, and when I stumbled

upon "Well Thought Out Twinkles" (a gay as hell title, but an awesome song), I was into the

groove riff that sounds like something Wolfmother would do, but instead quickly veers off into a highly melodic

verse dominated by Aubert’s distinct rasp (Think Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream).

After listening to Pikul, their first full length CD, it's got the kind of bleary-eyed ballads that would

have been a perfect fit on the great Singles soundtrack, standing alongside the Pumpkins’ “Drown”.

They show enough vitality in their sound to win me over, reminding me of a time when hooks mattered,

and American indie rock ruled, and restoring hope that it just might happen again. Their fucking awesome.

If you haven't heard of them, I recommend you check out "Lazy Eye", "Well Thought Out Twinkles", and

"Rusted Wheel".

Discuss the new resurgence of 90's rock (see Kings Of Leon, Sea Wolf) and Silversun Pickups.

Kings of Leon is more faux 70s Southern rock. And Seawolf is Will Oldham, who isn't part of any type of movement, I don't think. I've never heard of Silversun Pickups, but I do like Siamese Dream-era Smashing Pumpkins, but if I wanna listen to something that sounds like Siamese Dream-era Smashing Pumpkins, I'll just listen to Siamese Dream-era Smashing Pumpkins.

I downloaded this a few months ago after Bill Simmons wouldn't stop raving about it in his chat (yes, that makes me very lame). I like Lazy Eye...the rest not so much.

Yes! This band is awesome, IMO! My girlfriend picked up their CD "Carnavas" a while back and I've been hooked ever since I blindly ripped it onto my ipod.

Not a huge fan.

Kings of Leon are a much better band IMO, better live too.

SSP reminds me way too much of The Pumpkins for me to take them seriously.

Heard them, didn't like it. Then again, my musical diet has largely been Library music/funk-driven 60's-70's movie scores, old school hip hop, and progressive rock as of late.