TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
starvenger

Toronto/GTA restaurants

There are a few places in the GTA that I generally recommend to people looking for Asian food:

Thai - Salad King at Yonge and Gould (by the former Sam the Record Man). All dishes under $10 and will fill you up. I can't say I've tried every dish, but everything I've had has been tasty.

Japanese - Mochizuki at Bay and Elm. A wee bit more pricey than Salad King, I'd recommend this place for some real Japanese food. The chef/owner trained in Japan, and will give you some interesting stuff if you ask for the chef's tasting menu. It will cost you (I'd say at least $50) but I haven't had better stuff anywhere else. There's also a rotating sushi bar if you just want a la carte.

Malaysian - Restoran Malaysia in Richmond Hill. This is probably a good place to go if you're not into the spiciness of Thai food. Nothing here will kill you, but the curry and roti are a great combination. The one drawback I have for you is that the restaurant is halal, so no booze, but their fresh fruit drinks are nice.

Kings Noodle and Swatow in (the main) Chinatown - Good, cheap, tasty.

Shanghaiese - Asian Legend (various). There's five restaurants in the chain now. The wife and I love the juicy pork dumplings and the chunky beef noodle soup.

Any places you guys like here?

Michael Setzer's is a great steakhouse, one of my favourites.

There's a Turkish place by Big Slice on Yonge that I swear by, would go there a few times a week. Forget the name though.

Michael Setzer's is a great steakhouse, one of my favourites.

There's a Turkish place by Big Slice on Yonge that I swear by, would go there a few times a week. Forget the name though.

World of Kebabs?

For Breakfast the Pickle Barrel is amazing.

The wife has decided to boycott Pickle Barrel after the incident where her fish and chips consisted of baked High Liner-esque battered fish. And fries. Personally, I'm disappointed that the latkes have gone from the giant potato pucks to tater tots. With that being said I still love the sandwiches there.

I've only gone their for breakfast. I've done the Golden Griddle on Carlton Street across from MLG. I really haven't dined at many cultured restaurants since my friends/girlfriend really don't care for culture cuisine. The Old Spaghetti Factory is good for dinner, as well as most other restaurants on The Esplanade.

Hmmm, it might be that- I don't know the exact name just that they had doner sandwiches that were phenomenal and it was right next door to Big Slice.

I lived down the street from Golden Griddle on Carlton. I never went in b/c it had this odd smell.

Even though it's a gay hangout, Daybreak (formerly Eggstacy) is the place to go for breakfast. Big portions and great food

I've made it my mission once I move to Toronto at the end of the summer to hit up the Irish Embassy for a Buffalo Burger.

The Beer Bistro near Front St. has the best fuckin' ketchup in the city. Homemade with smoked tomatoes. Yum.

Thai - I second the Salad King mention above! I'm there at least once a week. (Yonge/Gould)

Tex-Mex - Nothing beats Sneaky Dee's nachos. NOTHING. (College/Bathurst)

More Tex-Mex - Hands down Burrito Boyz owns this city in terms of burrito excellence. (Peter/Richmond)

Wings - It's far north but it's All-Stars for me. Up Yonge Street near Aurora, but totally worth the fucking trip, IMO.

Sushi - Sushi Island just west of Bathurst/College. Their menu is vast and their portions are a nice size.

Even though it's a gay hangout, Daybreak (formerly Eggstacy) is the place to go for breakfast. Big portions and great food

North of Bloor on Bay, right? The portions are CRAZY, indeed! All of that food and two pancakes.. insane!

Any good Eastern European restaurants in the GTA? Mainly like Hungarian dishes (and not the street meat either)

Not too many Eastern European places that I know of. There's an Austrian place on Main Street Unionville, but I've never been.

Anyone tried Phil's BBQ? Heard it's pretty much the best place for BBQ stuff in TO, but again, I've never been.

Thai - I second the Salad King mention above! I'm there at least once a week. (Yonge/Gould)

More Tex-Mex - Hands down Burrito Boyz owns this city in terms of burrito excellence. (Peter/Richmond)

Wings - It's far north but it's All-Stars for me. Up Yonge Street near Aurora, but totally worth the fucking trip, IMO.

Sushi - Sushi Island just west of Bathurst/College. Their menu is vast and their portions are a nice size.

Seconded on the Burrito Boys love, they set up their second restaurant in Port Credit which is about 20 minutes away from where I live right now but it's worth the trek.

It's at 399 Church Street

Ooh, well there's an Eggstacy just north of Bloor on Bay street that has massive portions as well. Anyone tried any of the Sunset Grill's that have been popping up around town lately?

Seconded on the Burrito Boys love, they set up their second restaurant in Port Credit which is about 20 minutes away from where I live right now but it's worth the trek.

Port Credit, no shit? I knew they had another sit-down place near King/Adelaide here in the city but didn't know that they ventured out there to set up shop as well. My friends and I always joke around about how much money they'd make if they opened up one around Yonge/Bloor or in midtown.

I've made it my mission once I move to Toronto at the end of the summer to hit up the Irish Embassy for a Buffalo Burger.

I had one there last week. Amazing stuff.

No idea about that area, sorry man. The closest up there I know of is the Firkin at Davisville/Yonge. Other than that I'd just travel down Bathurst to College and hit Sneaky Dees. You can't go wrong with that. :P

Guest AndrewisyourHero

Utopia Cafe on College (near Montrose, I think..somewhere in little italy)

The row of restaurants on Baldwin street, off Beverly. Everything you could think of, they have.

Fresh on Bloor st.

Coras/ Papa Ceo's, Spadina and Harbord

Utopia Cafe on College (near Montrose, I think..somewhere in little italy)

The row of restaurants on Baldwin street, off Beverly. Everything you could think of, they have.

Fresh on Bloor st.

Coras/ Papa Ceo's, Spadina and Harbord

Fuck yes. I just mentioned Papa Ceo's in that Pizza Hut thread. Their pizza is fucking heaven! :P