TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 8/30 - 9/3

Talk about a two-edged sword...

The one game that will make everyone want to get the Big Ten network is also one that will likely have most of its subscribers slashing their wrists... unless they're Ohio State or Wiscy fans.

App State for I-A promotion! Even though "Appalachian" isn't a state.....

On a related note, Colorado fans are relieved; no longer is Montana State the most well-known FCS team.

That said, when does Michigan win their first game? Oregon's not a pushover, and then they've got ND (who may be a pushover soon) and Penn State...they don't have a really winnable game until Sept. 29 when they go to Northwestern. 6-6 is a real possibility.

PS-

LSU owes ESPN a favor.

According to my calendar at work, LSU was scheduled to play App State today at one point. That was changed when ESPN wanted LSU-Miss State to open the year on Thursday.

As a result, LSU got to smack around MSU 45-0 while UM becomes the first ranked team to lose to a I-AA team in history.

ND is now down 16-0 to Tech right before the half and is getting NOTHING done on offense.

Cholly Weis's rep as a genius is going to start taking some hits.

I realize that nobody probably cares but what the fuck happened to Duke? This UConn game was supposed to be close; Duke was a 3 point underdog, but got blown the hell out 45-14!!

I guess the Blue Devils won't win a game this year either.

lol, Michigan

I've never liked their asses.

There needs to be a YTMND that has photos of the game in a slideshow to the song, just like the video. Hot hot hot, hot hot hot!

Michigan already gets dissed by the national media to begin with, now look what's gonna happen...the Oregon game can't come soon enough.

I am now reminded by that quote from The Longest Yard, where Adam Sandler was talking to the warden: "When I was in college if we needed a warm up game we'd schedule some scrubs like Appalachian St. for an easy win."

I wonder if their coach used that for motivation?

Has to be the biggest upset ever.

The App St. win will go down in college lore forever. It might not be as big if App St. had beaten the #25 team in the country but they beat the #5 team in the nation that some were predicting would be in the national title game this year and played in the Rose Bowl last season. It just blows my mind that Michigan lost today.

I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from Wake Forest-Boston College. One young man on defense for Boston College has three picks on the day.

19-3 G-Tech over ND late in the 3rd quarter.

If ND can't score against Tech, I think USC will stick it in and break it off later this year.

I'm thinking 42-0 USC in that game MINIMUM the way things are looking right now.

The App St. win will go down in college lore forever. It might not be as big if App St. had beaten the #25 team in the country but they beat the #5 team in the nation that some were predicting would be in the national title game this year and played in the Rose Bowl last season. It just blows my mind that Michigan lost today.

I'm getting a lot of enjoyment from Wake Forest-Boston College. One young man on defense for Boston College has three picks on the day.

The only bigger upset I can think of in the history of ANY college sport would probably be the little D-II school in Hawaii that beat #1 Virginia at basketball back when they had Ralph Samson as center.

Chaminade also beat U of L in some Hawaii tourney. I never looked at that crap as historic upsets though. In fact I just think highly ranked teams used to go to Hawaii and tank it against the home team in the hope of getting invited again!

Michigan lost AT HOME in a game that was meant to be a warm up.

The Holy Grail of all upsets though is still a #1 seed losing to a #16 in the NCAA tourney. It's never happened before, but almost has a few times.

It's happened in the Women's Tournament, but not in the men's tourney.

The Big Ten has come closest to it, though, with Purdue either winning by 1 or going to OT back when I was in HS (circa 1996).

This Missouri/Illinois game has been all sorts of fun. After knocking out Juice Williams in the first half, Mizzou blew the game open 37-13 but Illinois has came almost all the way back to cut it to 37-34. Just when you thought the Big XII North couldn't get any worse.

Georgia Tech's looking frigging awesome today. The passing game could still use a little polish, but the running game and defense have been amazing. After the way Virginia Tech struggled this morning, I think the Jackets have to be considered the favorite to win the ACC at this point.

Brett Hodges comes in and has brought Wake Forest back to within 7. Must be nice for WF fans to know that they have a backup who can come in and engineer some drives if Riley Skinner gets hurt again. Matt Ryan just threw his 2nd INT on an overthrow.

GT recovers a fumble after a sack on the ND QB.

At this point, I need to find the WAV of "Necessary Roughness" where the backup QB is hiding behind the ref screaming "BLOW THE WHISTLE! BLOW THE WHISTLE!"

"Golden Boy" Jimmy Clausen is warming up on the ND sideline.

This could get interesting, given the quality, or lack thereof, on the ND O-Line.

33-3 G-Tech in the 4th with 8:52 left.

CBS Sportsline's Mike Freeman on the UM-AppState game-

You'll be unemployed, Lloyd ... Make a new plan, Michi-gan

Do you know what Michigan losing really was?

It was the worst single-game coaching job in the history of college football. No question, without a doubt, it's true.

The worst. Ever.

Lloyd Carr, meet the unemployment line. Unemployment line, meet Lloyd Carr. Get out. Now, Lloyd. N-O-W!

I'm not going to say Carr is a horrific game-day coach, but he makes Jerry Glanville look like Bill Belichick.

Somewhere Barry Switzer is saying, "Jeez, Lloyd, even I game plan better than that fella."

How long before the fireLloydCarr.com sites start firing up?

Apparently, Carr can't beat Ohio State or Appalachian State.

In fact, if I was Montclair State University, I'd call Michigan tomorrow and schedule Carr for 2009.

"Hey, get Michigan on our schedule for next year," the coach at rival Ann Arbor Community College is saying, "I'm feeling lucky!"

Actually, as someone who has followed Division I-AA football for decades, I can say Appalachian State is a terrific football program, one of the best on that level.

Still, Michigan losing to Appalachian State -- at home. Just, get out Lloyd. Go.

Meanwhile, I want all the college football-heads like my man Dodd to rank App. State at No. 25 in the Division I-A poll.

Can they do that?

The Wake-BC game is temporarily stopped while the medical team looks at the umpire, who got jacked by a Wake WR during a pass play.

BC is up 38-28 with 40 seconds left.