TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exslade ZX

Windows Vista

...is a pain.

Maybe it's because I had to get a new computer just yesterday, and I'm not used to it yet, but, even though I've read people complain it's not that different from XP, it doesn't feel the same at all :/.

But my question, is is there anyway to stop it from asking me to "confirm" every time I do one simple thing? Exp. every time I want to delete one simple picture, the whole confirm/type password thing comes up (Even if I don't have a password), and that's way to much extra hassle. So is there anyway I can stop this?

Yeah, its a piece of piss, start menu, run msconfig then in the tools subsection, click on disable UAC, voila no more questions.

If its asking you to confirm everything, it sound like it may be Windows Defender. Turn off windows Defender in the Control Panel and see if it asks you to confirm or cancel everything then.

I just installed Vista 64 bit on my new system and everything's working beautifully so far. I've actually hardly noticed the confirm/deny stuff (it popped up a lot when updating drivers) and it doesn't bother me.

If you're playing games, the number one thing you should do is install and run as administrator. Actually, this tip can explain it better than I could.

Note though if you've already run games not as admin, and you want to change their future start up method:

Right click on the icon you use to run the particular program

->Properties

->Compatibility

Check 'Run this program as administrator' at the bottom.

Yeah, I gotta admit, I dont really see the hate for Vista as well, all my games run fine and I enjoy the new features plus Texas Hold Em is the new Solitare :)

Guest Vitamin X

I'd prefer XP Professional 64 bit edition to Vista, but okay. I'm going to wait a while on it myself, the problem is is that XP is a perfectly fine OS, esp. the Pro edition, so it's hard for me to want to switch to some bloated OS like Vista.

Also, XP Pro x64 is cheaper, I believe.

I picked up an OEM copy of Vista x64 Ultimate for $220.

But yeah, I can't find a real reason to upgrade beyond Windows XP at this point. I was building a brand new system so I thought 'what the fuck, might as well go all out' so I picked up Vista. I've got 4GB of RAM and a terabyte of HD space so there's not really any bloat that concerns me, I'm really pleased with the new OS so far though. So unless you need DirectX 10 (and let me say that I think it's a giant bunch of bullshit that MS isn't making it available for XP), I don't think sticking with XP means you're missing out on too much so far.

However, if I were currently buying a new OS and my choices were XP x64 and Vista x64, I'd definitely go with Vista since from what I've read XP x64 is LESS stable than Vista x64 in terms of compatibility. And MS is for sure much more concerned with implementing better 64-bit compatibility/improvements for Vista than XP.

Guest Vitamin X

This is true. I'm not entirely sure my copy of XP (Home Edition too, ugh) is going to work on a new build that I'm trying to make, but I'm really, really iffy on upgrading to Vista. I'm going to run an AMD Athlon 64X2 (hopefully the Windsor) with at 2GB of RAM to start with, upgrading to 4GB later, and a WD 150GB Raptor HD (I'm doing an external 1 or 1.5TB RAID in the future and networking both my future build and the old comp, which I'm going to reformat for Linux and run MythTV on it). Think that'll be good enough for Vista?

I remember a old professor of mine trying to convince us students that Microsoft was evil and go to Linux. He was like 70 and going crazy. I tried Linux once and it wasn't bad But it's no XP.

Guest Vitamin X

Linux is very good for three things. One is what I intend to convert this one into, which is an HTPC (Home Theatre/DVR PC). Programs like MythTV and Beyond and all that are excellent; hell TiVo runs on a Linux homebrew. Another is for server management- Google and many other major corporations run their servers on Linux due to their stability and safety, not to mention, again, that they run a lot better/faster with a lot less power. Third, is what I also kind of intend to do with a cheap $100 laptop or so off eBay or whatever, using it as an extremely basic computer for very basic things. Running Ubuntu on it, and being able to play music, surf the web, work on papers and spreadsheets, or whatever, is nice to have, particularly if I would only use it as a computer on the go or for travelling. But I wouldn't use it as a main OS, the biggest reason being that it's incompatible with damn near any application you might require; I can't run a decent video editing program on it, and the GIMP, while good, is still nowhere near Photoshop's level of functionality. I can't use iTunes and a bunch of other programs I download and use regularly as well.

It was a bit of a hassle to upgrade on my computer from XP to Vista...but once I did it runs very smoothly. It even works for all but one of my son's games.

No I haven't but...

Yea, there's also an error that although I don't think it was confirmed...the assumption is that it has to do with AIM, and Vista that causes a disconnection from the network. (I had it)

All in all, I really think I preferred XP.

Is anyone else getting the COM Surrogate has stopped working message over and over again?

I had that error when Vista was trying to load thumbnails for some of my video files. When I switched to using the Combined Community Codec Pack (CCCP), they all went away.