TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

Favorite Restaurants

There's this restaurant called "Ben's Place" in Raleigh that has trivia night every Tuesday with cheap beer at two bucks a bottle. Chili's and Applebees are good for chain restaurants. Hardee's for major fast food chain, but CookOut is a great place that is locally run and operated I believe, so if you live outside of North Carolina you might not have heard of it. It's great because it's open until 2 a.m. and they have like thirty different flavors of milkshake to choose from. Service is really fast too, despite the lines always being long and having to get your food made to order.

Mine was Buffet City, a chinese place in Springfield, Illinois. No other Chinese restaurant has come close to their quality. However, they were shut down due to employing illegal immigrants.

Also in Springfield, there is D'Arcy's Pint. They serve the best horseshoes known to man. Of course, most people outside of Springfield have never heard of horseshoes. :(

As for chains, I really enjoy Chili's.

My favorite restaurant in the world is a place called Kim-Bo's, in the middle of white trash fucking nowhere Florida. It is seriously the best Chinese food I've ever had in my life, and I really like Chinese food. I've never been to China, but I've had take out all over New York and San Francisco's Chinatown, and been to places where you take your shoes off and sit on the floor, and nothing comes close to that place.

It's weird, but it happens sometimes. The best Mexican food I ever had was in Colorado and made by two white guys.

My favorite Chinese place around here is called Carry Outee, which is a pretty stupid name. Great food, though, and big portions. I think I'll probably go there today.

My favorite chain is probably Tony Roma's. Chili's has one of my favorite dishes, the Chicken Crispers. Things are great.

For fast food, I'm a big fan of Whataburger and Chick-Fil-A. The closest Chick-Fil-A around here is 40 minutes away, and I've been tempted.

Webers. Best burgers man has ever made.

Mick and Angelo's. (Great Italian restaurant).

Drifters (Local pub, with broasted chicken)

City Tavern (best Wings ever)

Wendy's

New York Fries

Harvey's

Dunn's Steakhouse

The Irish Embassy

Montanna's.

The Keg

Guest Vitamin X

Holy shit. First post in this thread has no taste whatsoever, and must be at least 50lbs. overweight. The only one of those places I'd consider eating at are DQ for their shakes, and Carl's Jr. for their fried zucchini. Everything else is so vomit inducing.

I think I put my 5 favorite restaurants in the top 5 thread below this one.

Chain:

Swiss Chalet - a staple of Canadian family dining, their "Chalet Sauce" makes anything taste 50x better (especially their fries, which are already really good, and I'm not a fry person).

Mandarin Buffet - I've only been there once in London but that was enough to convince me they're awesome.

Subway - Tuna sub on honey oat (toasted) with orange cheddar (natural? American? I don't know the real name for this and always tell them "orange", but then that's the name they've given to me too) with lettuce and green pepper.

Local (Windsor, Ontario):

Backroad Cafe - great breakfast and prices, excellent turkey club.

Penalty Box - allegedly famous in the area for their "Chicken Delight" (it is REALLY good, and you can swap chicken for steak too). Again going to this dislike of fries I seemed to aquire when I got older, they have fries I'll actually eat (more like wedges) and if you happen to get some sauce leaking out of your chicken delight, they taste great with that (they also have a meaty marinara sauce that are supposed to be for mozzarella sticks, but damn do the wedges taste good dipped in that).

El Zucalos - Mexican place in Detroit. Probably nothing about it makes it better than the 5 other Mexican restuarants on the same block but we've been going there since the 80s and their super nacho and flaming cheese has shown more consistency in being equally good (the other places nearby tended to have one of them bad and one of them very good).

I don't like Subway, but Quiznos is good. I went there for lunch today and, at least at this particular one, they didn't have the chicken soup anymore. Just broccoli cheese, and chili. I loved the chicken soup!

Motherfuck a god damned In N Out. If you want to wait in a drive thru for 20 minutes, go there. I mean, they're good burgers, but they're just burgers.

I'll go there if I'm with friends, because we actually just want to sit around and bullshit all night, but it's not a cult, it's a hamburger joint. There's another one here like that called Val's Burgers, it's actually right up the street from my house. There's nothing wrong with it, but I wasn't impressed. Still, don't even try unless you have an hour and a half to kill.

That's a sit down place, and once the waitress was so harried she outright forgot to bring our fries. I understood her plight, but no tip? Bitch please. Dine and dash. I do that somewhat regularly. Basically, in lieu of not leaving a tip, I'll just leave without paying. Give me good service or your ass goes down.

Guest Vitamin X

I agree, upon going back there for a visit this last time around, it was really disappointing. I mean, of course I ate the meatless version, but my friend had the meat and then I suddenly recalled that it wouldn't have even made it all that much better.

I've had better burgers at Carl's Jr. before. In fact, I think in retrospect, that's probably my favorite fast food joint, if anything because their chicken sandwiches rock also.

Quiznos is great, but I can't eat there very often. I get sucked into getting a roast beef and I don't feel like dying anytime soon.

Carl's Jr has good chicken sandwiches, as does Wendy's. I don't eat fast food very often. Last time I had fast food was about 3 months ago at In N Out on Azusa coming home from LA. It was one of the older ones, from left to right, drivethru.tinyassbuildingwheretheymakefood.drivethru with a walk-up in front. Girl working the walk-up was cute, that was where I went. For that reason and because I can't sit in a car waiting for food.

It's a chain place, but Old Spaghetti Factory is great. What I can eat at most places is limited due to my stomach condition, but I can eat things there and go away unscathed. I don't experiment with many of the non-chain local places, I have to go with the known.

As for Local restaurants, I'm a big fan of Marrio's which is a Sub/Italian type Restaurant. Has probably the best subs in Florida. Also Daybreak dinner which is a mom and pop type restaurant.

As for Fast food, I like Chick-fil-a and Steak N Shake. I have a soft spot for Steak N shake cause I use to go there with my grandfather all the time when I was younger. Same thing with IHOP.

Fuddruckers. It's a stopping point on the way down to the Detroit area for hockey games or concerts. Good stuff.

Little dive in my town generically called Pizza King. Great pizza rolls, and surprisingly really good burgers.

Quizno's is pretty good for subs. Mancino's is tolerable for subs once in a while.

Mel's Diner - south Florida only diner with 11 restaurants, so I guess it'd be a chain, but not a national chain. Good food, good prices. Especially their corned beef hash for breakfast.

Pastrami Dan's - Place in Naples that makes some good sandwiches.

Philly Junction - Fort Myers and Naples restaurant that does mostly sandwiches, fries, cole slaw, etc. Some soup. Good place. I think it's local.

In N Out is the greatest fast food burger place. Whatever the wait is, which is usually not that bad, it's still the best overall quality of food you can get.

This Chinese place on the North side of town called King's Garden. It was always good, but after a few visits they let us order off of the same menu as the Chinese customers, and that's when it became amazing.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

The Hoosier Drive In.

Home of the State Fair Tenderloin, which is a breaded tenderloin that's about..16 inches long by 9 inches wide. They also make fries out of fresh cut taters, and leave the skin on.

St. Hubert -- It's the Quebec version of Swiss Chalet, only it's 100x better.

The Works -- Local burger chain. One of the top 3 burgers I've ever had.

They used to have St. Hubert's all over the place in Ontario back 15-20 years ago, but I haven't seen one in years.

Agreed on The Works.

They used to have St. Hubert's all over the place in Ontario back 15-20 years ago, but I haven't seen one in years.

Yeah, most of the ones I remember outside Ottawa are gone. There are still two in Ottawa -- one on St. Laurent just south of Innes, and one on St. Joseph Blvd. in Orleans. The one on Carling and Richmond (near my condo) closed in a dispute with the landlord several years ago, which sucked.