TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vanhalen

The Shoot Interview Thread

Fantastics shoot was pretty disappointing as well. Very casual.

Robert Fuller was solid...he's a great story teller but I dont really give a damn about old school Memphis. At least in large doses.

Ole was funny, its like that crusty fool just emerged from a cave. So crotchety. He didnt remember much about his career, even major moments like the prolonged Sawyer/Rich feud.

I believe his MS has greatly affected his memory.

Robert Fuller was solid...he's a great story teller but I dont really give a damn about old school Memphis. At least in large doses.

Ole was funny, its like that crusty fool just emerged from a cave. So crotchety. He didnt remember much about his career, even major moments like the prolonged Sawyer/Rich feud.

Damn, didnt know that. He of all people should know better than to throw around the 'I hope you die, shit' that he was hitting guys like Flair with.

Damn, didnt know that. He of all people should know better than to throw around the 'I hope you die, shit' that he was hitting guys like Flair with.

But you mentioned it earlier... Ole Anderson is still the most bitter, crusty, old veteran in the business.

Hey Mos Def, why are you not so partial to Old School Memphis? Just wondering, as that is considered one of the greatest periods/eras in wrestling history.

For the most part Memphis is just low-rent and so deeply southern-fried that it could only be tolerated in small doses.

It was racial. Outside of Lawler the wrestling wasnt great. They had some of the stupidest, lamest gimmicks ever conceived and they had this horrible penchant for siphoning all the talent out of their heels so that they were all cookie-cutter bastard types that had to rely on cheating to win. The glass ceiling was built into their infrastructure. Memphis was either for washouts and local rednecks or for guys who were up and coming and would leave before they arrived because the conditions were so bad. Its sad to hear over and over that guys were just starving there.

Hey Mos Def, why are you not so partial to Old School Memphis? Just wondering, as that is considered one of the greatest periods/eras in wrestling history.

For the most part Memphis is just low-rent and so deeply southern-fried that it could only be tolerated in small doses.

It was racial. Outside of Lawler the wrestling wasnt great. They had some of the stupidest, lamest gimmicks ever conceived and they had this horrible penchant for siphoning all the talent out of their heels so that they were all cookie-cutter bastard types that had to rely on cheating to win. The glass ceiling was built into their infrastructure. Memphis was either for washouts and local rednecks or for guys who were up and coming and would leave before they arrived because the conditions were so bad. Its sad to hear over and over that guys were just starving there.

Yeah, but a lot of guys learned how to work, and personally I think Southern style rocks my socks. I guess it depends on your taste. What types of wrestling do you like?

Bill Dundee and Dutch Mantell say otherwise. Also Koko B Ware was awesome as was the RNR Express, Ricky Gibson, Eddie Gilbert, Tommy Rich(before he got fat), Buddy Landell etc etc. But yeah it's not for everybody.

Anyone have the Fuller Shoot?

Yeah, but a lot of guys learned how to work, and personally I think Southern style rocks my socks. I guess it depends on your taste. What types of wrestling do you like?

Well, my favorite territory of all time, if you want to call it that, is Jim Crockett Promotions from 85-88 so I share your love of southern-stylized work, its just that Memphis was really backwards and backwoods for the most part. They definitely had their moments tho, some great matches and angles...overall tho? Naw, not my shit.

Bill Dundee and Dutch Mantell say otherwise. Also Koko B Ware was awesome as was the RNR Express, Ricky Gibson, Eddie Gilbert, Tommy Rich(before he got fat), Buddy Landell etc etc. But yeah it's not for everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvwEFQIBVnk...feature=related

Flair shoot was a solid shoot!! If you havent heard the Robert Fuler shoot get it on youtube cause its a good shoot. I dont agree with the one guy giving the Goddwinn shoot a 3 out of 4 stars cause i bought it and i was real disapointed with it (no new stories and when a new stories is brought up they dont explain it and Dennis Knight talked the whole time and i think he's a tool and Undertaker Dick rider!!!) . rene goulet shoot was decent. My sleeper shoot would have to be danny doring. If you can find it its good. If anyone can Put the Marty Jannety Pt. 2 Shoot on here or the DeBeers shoot that would be great!!

Being a local, I grew up on Memphis wrestling and am very saddened to see it become what it has under the Cory Maclin regime.

I have to agree with you on all of those great names out of Memphis except for Dundee. I never cared for that guy and every dealing I've ever had with him was bad. Eddie Gilbert is probably the greatest talent to ever come out of the territory, arguably. You left out the one guy I always thought was the best though, Austin Idol. That guy could get a crowd riled up like no one I've ever seen.

And on the Koko B. Ware note, I was watching the 1991 Royal Rumble the other day and during his match with The Mountie, Koko hit what I think to be the best swinging neckbreaker I've ever seen. Never been a fan of this move as it pretty much always looks like shit, but somehow Koko nailed the perfect one. I was just wondering why he never used that move more often.

Hi everyone, hope everyone's holidays come off without a hitch. I grew up in Upstate New York and still live their to this day. Now as some of you know Colin Delaney is from my town of Rochester, New York. Despite what you saw on TV from December of 07 to August of this year, he is one hell of a talent. Now say what you will about him but he is one of my good friends and I would like to know if anyone has his shoot interview cause I would love to hear it and see it, where is the shoot interview video thread

I grew up on Memphis and am more than somewhat partial but--and I know I'm going to open a can of worms with this one--the booking, in some ways was sophisticated. Bear with me here. They had feuds that weren't so cookie cutter Face v. Heel (most of the Lawler Dundee ones); the one where they sort of broke kayfabe and had Jimmy Valiant break character and pull a rib on Jimmy Hart during the localized promo shoots; ditto the quickie deal where Jimmy Valiant broke character when he got a chance to wrestle Bockwinkel for the title and was calm and focused. I could go on and on. Yea, they did some stupid shit but that was when their talent was dry and they were absolutely no good at creating new stars (nor did any of the top tier want them to). Lawler's ego is enormous (as is his talent).

Jeff Jarrett's booking sure mirrors what he learned from Daddy. Starve the boys, get rich. I'm not condoning that.

No promotion could have or maybe would have used Andy Kaufman in the proper way that Memphis did.

And overall, Ole's way off base calling Memphis garbage wrestling. There's plenty of bad stretches in his booking career.

peace

I grew up on Memphis and am more than somewhat partial but--and I know I'm going to open a can of worms with this one--the booking, in some ways was sophisticated. Bear with me here. They had feuds that weren't so cookie cutter Face v. Heel (most of the Lawler Dundee ones); the one where they sort of broke kayfabe and had Jimmy Valiant break character and pull a rib on Jimmy Hart during the localized promo shoots; ditto the quickie deal where Jimmy Valiant broke character when he got a chance to wrestle Bockwinkel for the title and was calm and focused. I could go on and on. Yea, they did some stupid shit but that was when their talent was dry and they were absolutely no good at creating new stars (nor did any of the top tier want them to). Lawler's ego is enormous (as is his talent).

Jeff Jarrett's booking sure mirrors what he learned from Daddy. Starve the boys, get rich. I'm not condoning that.

No promotion could have or maybe would have used Andy Kaufman in the proper way that Memphis did.

And overall, Ole's way off base calling Memphis garbage wrestling. There's plenty of bad stretches in his booking career.

peace

I dont disagree with much, if anything, of what you wrote. I guess I was more or less referencing the 90s for the most part, although there were fundamental booking tenets of Memphis that I disagree with.

Fantastics: **1/2

Not bad, as Fulton and Rogers are both interesting guys, and funny also. Nothing groundbreaking, but I like stories about Dallas and the old southern territories. They both also have kept in great shape over the years unlike a lot of guys you see on shoots.

Robert Fuller: N/A

Made it about 30-40 minutes into it, but he was just too corny for my liking. Maybe I'll go back to it.

Sean Waltman: ***

Much better than I ever expected. He's very mellow (probably because he was stoned, but hey..) and he remembered little minute details which a lot of guys don't. He respects the business and eludes to how he has become a shell of what he used to be in wrestling. Puts over just about everyone including Bret Hart, Vince, and Jericho. Sad in a way because he seems like a really good guy who got sucked in by bad people.

Ole Anderson: ****

Really entertaining, not in spite of his bitterness, but because of it. His story of Ric Flair getting the belt in '81 is funny as hell, as is the way he repeatedly calls Feinstein dumb. He had quite a career before the Horsemen and he almost glosses over the whole Horsemen period. Kind of weird how he forgot about Sawyer/Rich and stuff that he booked, but a good guy to listen to. I could have listened for another hour.

Greg Valentine: *1/2

Cruise control all the way with no real stories or anything. Valentine obviously had a great career and that is pretty much the only thing that made it worth watching.

Steve Williams: ***1/2

A pleasant surprise for me because I knew almost nothing about him going into it. He's much more intelligent and mild-mannered than I thought. He's also very passionate about the business. His stories about Terry Gordy's ODs are pretty hard-hitting. I wish he would have been used better in the WWF because he would have fit very well Austin, HHH, etc.

Bill Watts: ****1/2

I'd seen this before but not for several years. Just excellent all the way. Bill is a great guy to listen to and knows his shit. Some good stories of how he got his start in the 60s, Vince Sr., and the fall of UWF.

Face Off: Jake/Raven/Sullivan: **1/2

Sullivan is HAMMERED here. Just absolutely trashed to the point of barely being able to talk. This dragged it down a couple of notches for me. It would have been great if it was just Jake and Raven just as the one with New Jack/Honky Tonk Man/Iron Sheik would have been great without Guess Who.

Still to come:

Konnan

Does anyone have the Guest Booker with Jarry Jarrett?

lets gets the shoot sharing starting again shall we.

heres a few to get started anyone else wanna chip in feel free. more the merrier.

ringside with vader kc ringside with vader

harry smith shoot harry smith rf shoot

godwinns shoot godwinns rf shoot

gabes book of roh secrets gabes book of roh secrets

guest booker jerry jarrett guest booker

these are all my own uploads i have access to lots more but i wanna see if anyone else wants to share 1st

enjoy

Can someone re-up the Joe & Punk and Punk & Cabana shoots please?

I know things are down right now, but I hope this board will survive. I checked out the new place and I still like this one better.