TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Smallville: Season 7

What the hell??? All that good work so far this season has been thrown down the drain the second Lana came back on the show. Now all of the sudden it's the Clark and Lana show again. I swear this show has become like really bad fan fiction. Just when they are finally going forward with Clark and Lois they go and do this.

Yea, I still love the show but I gotta agree. The Clark/Lois tension was a million times better. Although I will admit, that visual of Lana 'Rising from the ashes' looked pretty damn cool.

I don't think Lana will be around for long though. Either she dies soon, partly because of her new powers (possibly next week from the looks of the previews), or they go with the Lana clone story that looked like it would happen last season, since Project Ares was brought up again.

Next week is the final episode with Lana and based on interviews I have read it appears to be end of her story on the show.

Speaking of females, the next hero to appear on Smallville will be

Zatanna

to be portrayed by her

Yeah I heard they just brought her back for 5 episodes to finish up her storyline and she's been in 4 so far.

I'm really hoping Doomsday uses his super power of punching people to death on her.

Jesus Christ, does Kreuk have it in her contract that the show has to be about her character no matter what? Either that or the writers have spontaneous orgasms every time Lana Lang is the focus of a scene. I swear to GOD ALMIGHTY HIMSELF that I'm praying that Doomsday pulls LL apart into a thousand tiny little pieces in front of Clark, then finishes by saying, "Someone had to get rid of her, and it's obvious you couldn't you pussy!"

She really has ruined what has been a surprisingly great season of this show. Hopefully they kill her off and get back to the awesomeness that the season had been all about. I don't mind that she got herself powers...becuase in the comic world they live in it really kind of makes sense. She'd had a taste of them before, she's been a victim for so long, and it makes complete sense that Lex would develop something like that. Now...as soon as you get a gift like that something terrible has to happen. That is the rule. And I look forward to seeing it enforced next week.

They could have done the whole "Lana gets powers" thing without putting Clark and Lana back together again. The whole Clark/Lana relationship has been given closure about 5 times now and the fact that they keep opening it back up is frustrating. Especially when they were finally going forward with the Clark/Lois relationship this season. At least Lois is absent for all of this on the show right now so they don't go and set their relationship development back to square one.

I'm really hoping Doomsday uses his super power of punching people to death on her.

Yes. I want Lana to step out in front of Doomsday, proclaim her awesome invincibility and get squashed by one punch.

Seriously though, how does she know shes invincible? They've never tested it on humans apparently. Bit of an assumption. Silly bitch.

And what about the mice they used it on...there's a bunch of Supermice somewhere?

The first half of season 8 had actually made me a fan of the show again, which is saying a lot. Yes it was "lois and clark lite" but thats one of things people love about Superman. Lana really did ruin it. I haven't even been able to finish watching the last two episodes yet, I roll my eyes a lot. ugh.

Well it looks like she's gone now as last night was supposed to be her last appearance. I've always thought she was hot (I have yellow fever, guys) but that the character of Lana sucked so much ass for this show. Good riddance, now please pose in Playboy.

Lana Lang ruined smallville, for me. It's an okay show, but without her it could have been something special. Awful actress, bland and irritating character, and the producers were such huge fans of Kristin, they thought building the show around her was a great idea. Interesting, she was the first person to be cast, and they decided then and there she was the main thing in the show, and actually sold smallville to CW on the premise of 'this girl is so terrific and she's going to be the star.' What about, hey, I don't know, the guy playing superman!?

Also, it seems to demean the entire Lois/Clark relationship. Clark truly loves Lana, but since they can't be together he'll settle for Lois? Way to ruin one of the most iconic couples in comic book history, there.

After season 3 or so I felt there was no need for Lana. They just wrote her so bad that it ruined the show for me as well. She was just so forced on the people that watched the show, whether you liked her or not. More so than any other character on any other show I can think of. I stopped watching when they did the death switch with Lana and Pa Kent. Did they think anyone would like that...ANYONE? I wrapped up the season a while later and over the course of a year finished season 6.

Hell, I even grew to put up with Dawn on Buffy

My main problem with her is that she didn't seem to have a personality at all. The other characters made her sound like this terrific person, but we never saw why. Every other man on the show was in love with her, again, you never really knew why. Then she developed kung fu skills overnight, to convince us she wasn't helpless, which was laughable, as were the other attempts to toughen up her character. Even as far as looks go, I'd say she wasn't even the best looking girl on that show.

I'd say she was worse than even Kim Bauer, who I know a lot of 24 fans hate. At least, the producers seemed to understand that everyone hates her and wrote her out. I think Miller and Co just assume all smallville fans love her. I remember Kristin Kreuk said she found her character frustrating, as well. You know it's bad when even the actress can't stand the character.

Kim Bauer was annoying for 3 seasons and she pretty much took off...Lana Lang didn't. So there's your winner.

The whole Lana's a witch for some reason story was one of the worst story lines I had to endure watching this show

I'd say she was worse than even Kim Bauer, who I know a lot of 24 fans hate. At least, the producers seemed to understand that everyone hates her and wrote her out. I think Miller and Co just assume all smallville fans love her. I remember Kristin Kreuk said she found her character frustrating, as well. You know it's bad when even the actress can't stand the character.

Thing is I think the Smallville fans DO love her. The ones who do the fansites, and follow the news sites like Kryptonsite and all that shit, I think they're the ones they were thinking of. They weren't thinking of comic book nerds or genre tv fans like us, for sure.

Kim Bauer was annoying for 3 seasons and she pretty much took off...Lana Lang didn't. So there's your winner.

The whole Lana's a witch for some reason story was one of the worst story lines I had to endure watching this show

Fuck yeah, one of the worst arcs from this entire series.

Thing is I think the Smallville fans DO love her. The ones who do the fansites, and follow the news sites like Kryptonsite and all that shit, I think they're the ones they were thinking of. They weren't thinking of comic book nerds or genre tv fans like us, for sure.

I think she was popular amongst teenage girls who watched it for the teen soap opera element. But, generally, I got the feeling most smallville fans, even the ones that didn't dislike her, got tired of her being in every storyline. Just looking at the ratings, smallville started off huge, and then the ratings steadily went down, co-inciding with her being featured more and more. Also, if you look at the ratings for the Lana centric shows, they were always the lowest of the season.

I'd actually like to read those stats. Not doubting you or being sarcastic. I'm really curious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallville#Reception

Apparently it's been doing much better in the 8th season so far than the previous few years. At least it was until Lana showed back up.

I disagree with Gogo that the show could have ever been anything special. Without Lana (or with a better actor/character) I think it could have been better, but I don't think it ever could have risen about 'decent with some really good moments.' Most of the plots were so hackneyed and corny, the writing was incredibly repetitive, and none of the acting was very good.

The only recurring characters who I think were consistently well acted were Lex, his father (and he was pretty over the top at times), Pa 'Dukes of Hazard' Kent, and Chloe. Lois is pretty great sometimes, but also pretty bad at some stuff too. And yeah, I agree that Kreuk is a horrendous actress.

Most of this could be forgiven since it's a 'comic book' show, but I've always felt it was too bad they didn't do better with the concept. Since 'Superman growing up without any costumed superboy crap in the modern world' is one of the best concepts for a TV show ever. I mean, imagine if that concept had been as well written, plotted, and put together into a TV show as, say, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That would be something special.

I'd actually like to read those stats. Not doubting you or being sarcastic. I'm really curious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallville#Reception

Apparently it's been doing much better in the 8th season so far than the previous few years. At least it was until Lana showed back up.

I disagree with Gogo that the show could have ever been anything special. Without Lana (or with a better actor/character) I think it could have been better, but I don't think it ever could have risen about 'decent with some really good moments.' Most of the plots were so hackneyed and corny, the writing was incredibly repetitive, and none of the acting was very good.

The only recurring characters who I think were consistently well acted were Lex, his father (and he was pretty over the top at times), Pa 'Dukes of Hazard' Kent, and Chloe. Lois is pretty great sometimes, but also pretty bad at some stuff too. And yeah, I agree that Kreuk is a horrendous actress.

Most of this could be forgiven since it's a 'comic book' show, but I've always felt it was too bad they didn't do better with the concept. Since 'Superman growing up without any costumed superboy crap in the modern world' is one of the best concepts for a TV show ever. I mean, imagine if that concept had been as well written, plotted, and put together into a TV show as, say, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That would be something special.

I think smallville had occasional flashes of brilliance. The character of Lex was better handled than in any of the movies or tv shows. Heck, they did more with Lex's character than they did with Clark Kent.

I think Lana probably represented the main flaws of the show, even if she wasn't the entire problem: the need to turn it into a soap opera rather than making it an action/adventure show, Also, even the soap opera part of the show didn't work. They made it all about Lana and Clark Kent, and what was going to happen to them. Except everybody knows they don't end up together, so there wasn't even a will they or won't they element to it. They spend eight years telling us what we already knew: Clark and Lana don't end up together and Clark ends up with Lois. That was probably down to the WB and later CW. Becuase both those networks have this desperation to appeal to the female demographic. Even to the point, they let their highest rated show go to another network because it was a wrestling show that appealled to men only.

I do agree if it had been Rob Thomans or the guys from supernatural who had been behind the show it would have been a lot better.

They spend eight years telling us what we already knew: Clark and Lana don't end up together and Clark ends up with Lois.

Lois didn't show up until season 4. Personally I think it's fine for them to stray from comic canon with this sort of thing because this show shouldn't be about canon otherwise we all know what happens and when and then what's the point of even watching it? Doesn't save Lana from being a shitty character, though. ;)

The ratings are down just a bit, but that has more to do with "Bones" going head to head with "Smallville" . Since the show came back the two episodes that did not go up against Bones did really well, the other two(last night's included) that went up against "Bones" were below normal.

They spend eight years telling us what we already knew: Clark and Lana don't end up together and Clark ends up with Lois.

Lois didn't show up until season 4. Personally I think it's fine for them to stray from comic canon with this sort of thing because this show shouldn't be about canon otherwise we all know what happens and when and then what's the point of even watching it? Doesn't save Lana from being a shitty character, though. ;)

They have to stick with cannon for certain things. Like Clark splitting up with Lana and being with Lois. Just because that's a major part of the Superman story. I remember someone asked Millar why they focused so much on Lana and Clark as a couple, when they didn't end up together, and he said so people can know that even though he's meant to be with Lois, Lana will always have a special place in his heart. Although, I think they could have got that point across without focusing on it so much.

They have changed canon for certain things though. Lana and Clark part in a different way altogether, Lois and him don't meet till he's older and I don't think Lex finds out Kent has got superpowers till much later on, if at all. Whereas in smallville he already knows.

So, CW are about to announce smallville is getting a ninth season according to tv week. Honestly, I'm not sure what else they can do with it. Tom Welling is in his thirties now as well so the superboy thing is even less convincing.

So, CW are about to announce smallville is getting a ninth season according to tv week. Honestly, I'm not sure what else they can do with it. Tom Welling is in his thirties now as well so the superboy thing is even less convincing.

I think there's still plenty for them to do. The Lana story finally seems to be at it's end, and so now they can turn their attention to Lois/Clark. We've also seen this season (and the last) where they're starting to introduce many other characters from the Superman mythos into the episodes, as well as other DC characters (Doomsday, Legion, Persuader, MM, JLA, etc.) and there are plenty of other characters for them to use if they please.

And as far as age, even by the shows standards Clark by now would be college graduate had he gone, and is believable in his position at the Daily Planet and so I don't think that it's that big of a problem, as welling doesn't look THAT much older then when he began anyways.

Well rumors were flying that this was going to be the last season, and have been building to Clark finally embracing his destiny, with a supposed season 9, it gives them more time to do some heavy plot fillers to explain lex not giving a shit about clark etc when hes finally superman.

Lana will be back next season and ruin it all again. She is the greatest Superman villain ever, she inflicts everyone with boredom.