TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pegasus Kid

Street Fighter IV announced...

3D SF confirmed?

Hm, I wonder if they can make the game look anywhere near close to that. I know it's just a cutscene intro/teaser, but the art design looks a-ok.

Well...we don't know for sure yet that it's 3D (though yeah, the trailer would certainly point in that direction). I'm really, really hoping they keep it 2D. The EX series was just mind-bendingly boring.

I thought it played much, much faster than any 3D fighter around at the time, featured super-cancels and a lot of bizarre new characters, and had more polish than basically any 2D-in-3D-fighter experiment then and since.

I'm guessing it's just because it was only SF with 3D graphics. However, most other titles at the time just tried, "ok, let's put in a sidestep and...ok, that and the graphics is 3D enough".

Making this game totally 2D would basically doom it as a low-budget, niche product, though.

Making this game totally 2D would basically doom it as a low-budget, niche product, though.

True enough. I love 2D fighters, but if they want this to be more successful than to a really niche market or almost as a as nostalgia act then they need up the ante as far as graphics go. That said, I probably wouldn't touch a typical all 3D SF game.. I'd like to see something in the middle.. 3D characters but with cell shaded textures to give it that 2D feel, as well as a 3D environment..

It's a very big split in terms of what people want. The hardcore SF players (myself included) are clamouring for a very pretty looking 2D game. However, many people acknowledge the fact that the big picture demands a 3D port to combat the Tekken's and Soul Caliburs.

I wonder...

Will this be truly taking place further in the timeline?

And if so, which characters will return and how old will they be?

...grown up Sakura?

Still, to be honest, the last Street Fighter game I played was the first releases of Super Street Fighter II

Interesting. Is it being developed by the same team as the previous Capcom fighters?

It's hard for me to see Street Fighter really working in 3D and still being Street Fighter. No 3D fighter with projectiles has ever not been trash, and no 3D fighter has ever played as fast as Street Fighter. I'd love to see a new 2D Street Fighter instead, but yeah, it'd be too niche to make money.

Hope they can pull it off if they go that way. If anyone can do it, it would be the old Capcom team.

Since the main programmers who worked on the SF games are gone from Capcom, it's unlikely to have the same pedigree working on it. However, one of the main SF guy's last games were Super Dragon Ball Z, so I don't know if a real quality 3D SF effort could have come out of the old team anyway.

Anyone play that recent cel-shaded 3D Capcom fighter based on some manga? It had schoolgirl characters with ginormous chests and all the character designs looked pretty bad. I don't recall hearing anything positive about it.

EDIT: The game is Shijou Saikyou no Teishi Kenichi / History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi for PS2.

I'm guessing not from the way everyone's talking, but is there any information available other than the trailer?

I remember reading something (though I think it was just popular opinion, not concrete fact) that there were two things making SF IV "improbable".

1. A nice looking 2D fighter - without just recycling sprites ala the versus series - costs too much to make these days.

2. No one like the "3D" EX series.

I'm hoping for 2D of course, but a 3D fighter done right - and we've come a long way since the EX days - with our favourite fighters could be pretty awesome.

I remember reading something (though I think it was just popular opinion, not concrete fact) that there were two things making SF IV "improbable".

1. A nice looking 2D fighter - without just recycling sprites ala the versus series - costs too much to make these days.

2. No one like the "3D" EX series.

I'm hoping for 2D of course, but a 3D fighter done right - and we've come a long way since the EX days - with our favourite fighters could be pretty awesome.

Neither of those really hold up.

1. The upcoming Street Fighter HD Remix for X-BOX 360 created the sprites from the ground up.

2. The EX series were never really pushed to begin with. There were three of them and barring the most hardcore of players, no one knew when new ones came out. The engines were terrible as well, to the point where you really need to wonder if these games were play tested.

Here's to hoping for a 2D game that can still reach the masses.

I'm hoping at the very least they keep the Street Fighter system alive rather than convert it into a 3D-style fighter. However, I'm OK if they use 3D models instead of sprites if that's what it needs to look astonishingly good.

On a side note, my love of humanity dwindles just a little each time I decide to browse comments left on YouTube.

1. The upcoming Street Fighter HD Remix for X-BOX 360 created the sprites from the ground up.

2. The EX series were never really pushed to begin with. There were three of them and barring the most hardcore of players, no one knew when new ones came out. The engines were terrible as well, to the point where you really need to wonder if these games were play tested.

Here's to hoping for a 2D game that can still reach the masses.

I always felt that the first EX--or at least the home version--was better than most people give it credit for. However, totally agreed that the sequels were terrible.

However, the arguments Venk make were still solid in their time, just not anymore.

1. The competitive arcade scene dying off began to kill the 2D fighter. There's some renewed demand now that we have systems with solid online play available on them, even though it's never going to reach mid-90s levels.

There also wasn't really a digital distribution or a feasible budget/low-tech title distribution channel available. Now companies can bypass arcade releases, creating discs or cartridges, etc. for titles that are hardly even a drop in the bucket for a cd-rom's available space.

2. The first EX game did get a smattering of advertising and push from Capcom, but after that it was nil. Plus, Street Fighter Alpha 3 on PS1 outsold each and every EX title. Hell, if you combine all the various console/portable releases of Alpha 3, I think it outsold the entire EX series combined. It also did quite well in an age where Tekken and 3D fighters in general were beginning to come into their own.

I assume Guilty Gear's solidly a niche title, but it's certainly had a solid place in that niche, to get so many releases, virtually every one international, plus a few oddball spinoffs. If a series like that came from an old PS1 release that made and sold about 5 copies, a new release with the tradition and prestige of Street Fighter should be able to do pretty damn well if they don't skimp on the production values, and provide us similar hi-res, detailed, beautiful sprite animations.

Come on, a new Street Fighter, not a new SF upgrade, not a new 3D spinoff that clearly distinguishes itself from the "real" series, not a new vs. game, not a new jumbled mess of old characters, but Street Fighter. If it's 2D maybe some ignorant people might give it flack, but it's not Melty Blood.

I mean it would be the first Street Fighter released in a long ass time playable on the dominant systems.

When Street Fighter 3 came out I think the dominant system was still the PSX. That certainly, certainly couldn't run Street Fighter 3. This will be one people can actually play when it drops.

People still play Street Fighter 2, for crying out loud...

That teaser doesn't tell me the game will be 3D at all, BTW. I cannot imagine it would be.

But I don't think online play is the answer for this or any fighting game. A crouching short kick can be comboed into an...anything. And how many frames is that?

Online play's not the answer for tournaments. You're always going to have to travel for real high level play. But as far as just getting games in, with arcades basically nonexistant now, online is pretty important. I mean, if not for online play, I have literally no one to play within like 50 miles of me. Even with lag, online play is infinitely better than playing the computer.

I'm not sure lag would hurt 2D fighters more, either. You're not gonna block a crouching short offline either, it's like 3 frames, so it's just a pure mixup. Maybe I'm just trash, but it always seemed like blocking moves on reaction was less important in 2D fighters since the moves had so few execution frames. Which could actually make the lag less frustrating, since you're not gonna be hit by like Law's d/b+4 or Bryan's d/f+3 when you'd always block it offline.

To all complaining about lag:

Have you used ggpo yet?

Nope, I've just played DoA4 and T5, and they both get laggy unless you play someone within a couple hundred miles of you. What's GGPO?

To all complaining about lag:

Have you used ggpo yet?

Nope, I've just played DoA4 and T5, and they both get laggy unless you play someone within a couple hundred miles of you. What's GGPO?

GGPO is a program from the Shoryuken community that lets you play SFA2 and MVC1 over the net. Its claim to fame is an entirely new networking algorithm designed for fighting games, which results in games, which I can personally attest to, that feel smooth.

Capcom, via one David Sirlin, let it slip that the reason that they are allowing this flagrant violation of their copyright is that they plan to either use the GGPO netcode, or a copy of it, in Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD remix, and potentially all of their fighting games from this point forward.