TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pegasus Kid

Street Fighter IV announced...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164756

Street Fighter IV Unveiled

Exclusive first ever screenshot and details for Capcom's franchise revival.

By Matt Leone, 12/06/2007

Numbers are supposed to be impressive, right? Well, it's been 10 years, two hardware generations, and about 17,000 rumors since the last pure number Street Fighter came around. And today we have the first ever official details on Street Fighter IV.

We don't blame you if your eyes have already skipped down to the screenshot lower on the page (yes, that's from the game engine). Take your time. But we've got some information as well, so the rest of this is probably worth reading when you get a chance.

Though the screenshot doesn't answer this question outright, we can confirm that the game's graphics are polygonal but the gameplay is strictly 2D. There will be new moves, locations, and gameplay features, while the standard six button control scheme remains. Ryu and Ken return along with Chun-Li and Dhalsim, but beyond that the character roster is a mystery. And then there's the issue of what platform(s) the game will end up on, which at this point Capcom is keeping close to its chest (if you search 1UP's database, you'll find listings for arcade, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, but those are just guesses based on the graphical quality).

sfivryu.jpg

For the full reveal of the game -- including hands-on impressions, a rundown of the new gameplay system, and loads of details on new features -- look for the January 2008 issue of EGM in stores soon and hitting subscribers any day now. And then after you check the issue out, keep your eye on 1UP's Street Fighter IV hub page for ongoing coverage continuing into January.

Anyway, are you still reading this? Didn't you see the screenshot above? Click it and look at the larger version! All your friends are doing it...

Phew... it's 2D.

But no Wii version means I'm going to have to keep my 360 now and not sell it :(

WII VERSION PLZZZZZZZ

Do you hate good graphics and controls? :P

It'll be interesting to see the timeframe for release for this. Arcade the same time as console? Console later?

hahaha.. I just only have Wii there buddy :D. I dunno, this doesn't really look omfg amazing to the degree it couldn't be done on the Wii. It has a nice art style, but I dunno.. I just wanna see Cammy.

WII VERSION PLZZZZZZZ

The Classic controller would be the best choice pad out of all three consoles.

And do the graphics need to be amazing? It's a 2D beat em up.

No, it's a 2D fighter, heh.

Glad to hear it's 2D, and that's a nice screenshot. Hopefully it's released in arcades first so they can work out any major balance issues before the home release.

I'm fairly excited. It's been ages since the last major Capcom fighter. What was it, CvS2 back in 2001? Wow.

WII VERSION PLZZZZZZZ

I beg to differ. That clumsy, vestigal wire chained to the wiimote I've always felt was a bigger pain in the ass than if it was wired to the Wii. It still lacks 6 face buttons.

I can't vouch for the d-pad, since there isn't a fighting game I'd actually pay money to play today on the Wii, whether on VC or available through retail.

The 360 d-pad is an unplayable piece of crap that absolutely *requires* modification (before I modded mine, just navigating the marketplace with it was a chore), but afterwards it's quite comfortable.

I assume PS3 experience would be the same as PS2 or 1; it's not great or anything, but by now you should be used to it. I hate those slanted L2/R2 buttons, though, as I liked to assign Jab and Short to R1 and R2 respectively.

The 360 d-pad is an unplayable piece of crap that absolutely *requires* modification (before I modded mine, just navigating the marketplace with it was a chore), but afterwards it's quite comfortable.

Agreed, but how did you mod it? Is it easy for a tinkering noob?

Yes, it is.

The original, most complicated method. I used this for both my pads, and it probably would give you the best overall looking result.

Only a knife required.

There was a youtube video up for a method just requiring sandpaper, which was similar to the first method but without taking the controller apart. The user removed it for some reason, though.

EDIT:

A video of the first method:

Also mentions some other solutions, like using a Duke dpad and putting it in the 360 controller.

Well, there was Capcom Fighting Evolution, but I dunno if you can call that major.

I thought it was good attempt. The character roster could have better as well as the mechanics. Its like Capcom had this great going and decided to half ass it halfway through. Although I've loved that Pyron was back in his proper place as the last boss again instead of Jedah.

Ryu and Ken return along with Chun-Li and Dhalsim

Oh, I'm SO playing this now! :headbang:

WII VERSION PLZZZZZZZ

I beg to differ. That clumsy, vestigal wire chained to the wiimote I've always felt was a bigger pain in the ass than if it was wired to the Wii. It still lacks 6 face buttons.

I can't vouch for the d-pad, since there isn't a fighting game I'd actually pay money to play today on the Wii, whether on VC or available through retail.

Really? Even with SFII Turbo and KOF 94? I know 94 kinda sucks, but it's still a good game. As for the pad, I prefer it over the other two pads as it feels like a slightly larger SNES pad, and I always felt the SNES pad was better for Street Fighter games.

I haven't moded my 360 pad (I haven't even turned the machine on in 6 months) but I hated the pad once I played SF on Xbox Live Arcade. It felt clunky and horrible. It's perfect for 3D action games and shit like that, but not for fighters.

I assume PS3 experience would be the same as PS2 or 1; it's not great or anything, but by now you should be used to it. I hate those slanted L2/R2 buttons, though, as I liked to assign Jab and Short to R1 and R2 respectively.

I was going to make the exact same point, although I liked the Dpad of the PS2 pads, I can't imagine those spring loaded shoulder buttons will make play any good.

I would hope Andrew wouldn't pay money for SF on Virtual Console. It's the SNES version and it doesn't even have online play. That's just silly.

Really? Even with SFII Turbo and KOF 94? I know 94 kinda sucks, but it's still a good game. As for the pad, I prefer it over the other two pads as it feels like a slightly larger SNES pad, and I always felt the SNES pad was better for Street Fighter games.

Why play SNES SFII Turbo when far better versions of SF2 exist, let alone the Alpha Collection and Third Strike? Plus, you said yourself KOF '94 sucks; the series didn't even get a real combo system until 95.

I'd honestly rather have a long cord to plug the Classic into the Wii (if it functioned as a gamecube controller, ALL THE BETTER!), or make it completely cordless. The willy-nilly wiimote chaining is just annoying. If the Classic is at least SNES-decent for fighters, it would be a godsend for the gamecube fighters that nobody buys/bought because the stock GC controller is so awful for them (Smash doesn't count).

I haven't moded my 360 pad (I haven't even turned the machine on in 6 months) but I hated the pad once I played SF on Xbox Live Arcade. It felt clunky and horrible. It's perfect for 3D action games and shit like that, but not for fighters.

Yeah, all other aspects of the pad are basically excellent, including the combo of the shoulder buttons *and* analog triggers. The only gripes I have are that the face buttons aren't analog (few games make use of them anyway, but I honestly believe that's one of the reasons MGS2 isn't BC), and the d-pad is atrocious. It's pathetic the system has been out for so long and Microsoft *still* hasn't addressed it. It's not a hardcore-fight-gamer thing so much as a this-d-pad-phails-for-basic-functionality thing.

I was going to make the exact same point, although I liked the Dpad of the PS2 pads, I can't imagine those spring loaded shoulder buttons will make play any good.

It seems like a half-assed compromise; it's not a traditional shoulder button, but it's not yet a trigger like the 360. It's something in between, and it sucks. What makes triggers great is that they're typically analog and thus are useful for racers (acting like an accelerator) and are more comfortable to hold in (for shooters). Sony was going for something like that, but because a bunch of fanboys got on the internet and whined about the design of a prototype they've never even held, let alone played a game with, we got stuck with the same design we've had for the past 10 years.

I would hope Andrew wouldn't pay money for SF on Virtual Console. It's the SNES version and it doesn't even have online play. That's just silly.

After playing SFII on X box live, I'm glad it isn't online. Theres only so many times you can fight Ryu.

But you are right, it is a bit lazy. But on the plus side of things, Super SFII is out soon on the VC.

The upside to Virtual Console versions of the games are that you can usually rely on nearly flawless emulation. However, whenever I have an SNES hooked up to the same TV, that's not a real biggie.

=

But you are right, it is a bit lazy. But on the plus side of things, Super SFII is out soon on the VC.

I hope that's sarcasm......

=

=

Oh no, you mean Wii owners won't be able to play the game online with someone yelling "FAGGOT. FUCKING FAGGOT! OH THAT SHIT IS FUCKIN' GAY, MAN." from halfway across the country? That's just horrible!

Forget online play, PS3 and 360 are getting a full remake of Super Turbo while the Wii gets the SNES port of regular Super.

The latest EGM says that the producer does not want to limit himself to platforms. Thus, there's a chance we'll see this on Wii, PS2, and DS. Maybe PSP, but PS2 and DS are specifically mentioned.

This is Capcom we're talking about, after all. It may show up on those, but it won't be the same game the PS3/360 get, exactly.

I disagree, with the exception of the DS version. Capcom USA owns Street Fighter, and they basically let David Sirlin do all the Street Fighter stuff lately. It will essentially be the same game with graphical tweaks, if they have any say at all.