TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Pegasus Kid

Street Fighter IV announced...

I got the EGM issue. I've learned the following (quotes are Ono quotes, italics are word-for-word from EGM; not quotes by Ono himself:

-SFIV producer Yoshinori Ono oversaw Capcom Fighting Evolution. He also knows it sucks and basically apologized for it.

-He wants it to be the "second coming of Street Fighter II."

-He believes its important to look back at SF2 and see what players enjoyed about the game.

-He believes that successive iterations were hurt by convoluted gameplay systems and unfamiliar characters.

-He's concerned with attracting casual SF2 players to the game.

-Consoles not named, but Ono wants it on as "many platforms as possible".

-DLC hinted at, but nothing even close to a clear plan or direction (yay!).

-Wants the game's art design to evoke the impression of a moving painting.

-The ink blot/sumi-e effects will be used somewhat presentation-wise (cinemas, intros, etc), but likely not during gameplay.

-Gameplay is completely 2--there will be no sidesteps, 8 way run, or anything like that. Side-view, one-on-one, traditional Street Fighter.

-The plan is to get as many of the original SF2 characters into the game as possible, and feels that SF3 dumping most of the old roster may have betrayed the audience.

-The game is supposedly 2% complete at most.

-Chun Li isn't going to look as ridiculous as she did in Third Strike, but the character designer is "into thick girls" and plans to go in that direction without going overboard.

-Anya so freaking called this.

I hope this means they don't completely forget about SF3 in all this. But is there any technical reason we shouldn't get the most or best of both rosters? I'd also like to see some Alpha representation, but I just don't know who.

I'd also like to see some Alpha representation, but I just don't know who.

I do.

post-2289-1197408916_thumb.jpg

But I worry her style is too "convoluted" for this "return to form," and we'll probably get (only) that other Alpha schoolgirl at most.

=/

For no apparent reason they put the story about Poison and his/her/hir censorship-prompted changes. Pointless Shane article filler or a hint at an unannounced character? Your call.

Same here. I had the most fun playing as Dudley, Necro and Q in Third Strike and barely ever played as Ryu, Ken, Akuma or Chun-Li. I've spent enough time playing as the II characters in the countless games they've had, thanks.

This looks awesome.

As an aside, used to play a ton of SF2 in the arcades and on SNES...now, after years of not playing it, whenever I pop in my SF2 compilation game on Xbox, I usually get my ass handed to me by the computer. Depressing.

As long as I can use the classic controller and no tacky "waky fun wii control functions" I'll be happy.

I'm all for the Wii taking gaming to the next level, but it's not needed on beat-em-ups.

The only fighting game I've used Wii-style controls with is Bleach and, IMO, it doesn't hurt the game.. though it does wear on your wrist after a while. But with Street Fighter, I'd have to agree that I'd rather be able to use a controller or the Hori Arcade Stick instead.

The only fighting game I've played on the Wii is Legand of the Dragon and the wii controls really hurt that game. It sucked really bad.

And I've heard that MK didn't work all that great either.

Legend of the Dragon...It sucked really bad.

Because wii controls can't really help/hurt that thing anyway.

I'll forever remain unconvinced motion controls are a good idea for fighters.

If SFIV comes out for the Wii, I have no doubt it will support the Classic Controller. Nevertheless, it HAS to support waggle because Nintendo's guidelines force makers to allow a Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo. FFS, Guilty Gear supports the Classic, and it is blatantly obvious its waggle is an afterthought tacked on to make certifications.

I got the EGM issue. I've learned the following (quotes are Ono quotes, italics are word-for-word from EGM; not quotes by Ono himself:

-The plan is to get as many of the original SF2 characters into the game as possible, and feels that SF3 dumping most of the old roster may have betrayed the audience.

Because making a game called "Street Fighter III: The New Generation" and keeping the same cast as before is such a great idea right? <_<

Because making a game called "Street Fighter III: The New Generation" and keeping the same cast as before is such a great idea right? <_<

The idea is mun-naaay.

I got that Thrustmaster controller for Wii/Gamecube.

I haven't got a chance to really put it through it's paces, but so far it's really good. It is quite small, though, like a hair more than those madcatz microns (but with nice sized grips). Played a good bit of DKC2 and NiGHTs for Wii so far, and it seems to be preferable to the Classic for me.

However, the wireless receiver looks really dumb. it's on a short cord that will dangle out of the GC/Wii, and on the Wii when it's plugged in (and the controller is off) the light on it it will just flicker forever unless you unplug it slightly from the system. It will be steady if the controller is turned on. I guess that's because the wii doesn't really power off so much as go to sleep when not in use, but it's still annoying that you can't just leave it plugged in all the time without the flickering.

Found this on another board.

So apparently Capcom mishmashed together some martial arts facts and lore, at least for the creation of SF1.

http://crane.50megs.com/index6w.htm

Many people have heard of the legend of how Kyokushin Karate Founder Mas Oyama challenged and defeated the invincible Muaythai fighter "Black Cobra" in 1954 at Lumpinee Stadium, Bangkok for the very first time. It was said that he brought Black Cobra down with an elbow strike, followed by an "aerial triple kick"; but he admitted it was a very close fight. There are, strangely, no existing historical reports in Thailand to verify this. But that does not imply that the fight did not took place. Perhaps there was a news cover-up due to national pride; we might never know now that the parties involved are all gone.

soenowh2.jpg

http://crane.50megs.com/Reiba.JPG

Yoshiji Soeno, a Kyokushin Karate legend; & "Reiba", the "Dark Lord of Muaythai", as potrayed in the old Japanese martial art comics "Karate Baka Ichidai" (The Karate Idiot). After Mas Oyama, Soeno was the only other Karateka mad enough to launch a solo challenge on the strongest fighters in Thailand. Not surprisingly, the above real persons inspired the creation of the famous Street Fighter game characters Ryu & Sagat two decades later. Notice the striking resemblance of the comic and game potrayals. There is not a gaming youngster in this world who does not know these two characters, but hardly anybody would know the true story behind them.

Oh man, that is amazing. My favorite parts are Balrog, boxing gloves and all, working the security console, and "I killed my father too and you don't hear me whining about it!"

man, I hope this game is one huge, awesome game. I want... every damn character ever.

Word. Having all the characters from Alpha and III would be great in addition to all the characters from II. I don't mind it being in 3D, but if you're going to make it in 3D, I mean go all the way. Otherwise, this is just Street Fighter EX 4. Unfortunately, without any of the EX characters.

<3 Skullomania

By the way, if they pretend like SF3 never happened, that's bullshit. I loved the new characters they introduced like Dudley, Hugo, and Q. For Christ's sake, at least keep Alex!

That Street Fighter cartoon was a LOL-athon. The best part was the last episode when Bison died by getting Sonic Boom'ed into the computer by Guile and then getting swallowed by electrical cables! I'm not joking.