TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JN News

Pizza Hut

I'm starting to think so, because I think they haven't been as consistant as they once were. The only time I've ever eaten top quality pizza from them is if I go there to dine in, if you will. Delivery is another story, though, because it was barely consistant through deliver to my house. It just doesn't have that same old zing to it.

Thoughts?

It's about as bad as McDonalds. I only go there a couple times a year, always at somebody else's insistence. I'd rather bake my own pizza or hunt down a brick-oven shop, personally.

What amazes me is Little Ceasar's. They were ready to go out of business, and they totally redefined their business model. They stopped delivering (in the areas I know of, at least), and introduced the "Hot and Ready" pizzas for $5. Their businesses are booming now. Domino's has started a version of the $5 ready-made pizzas in this area now, too.

Pizza Hut really is the McDonald's of pizza. I haven't been able to eat their pizza for almost a decade now.

As far as chains go I'll readily take Papa Johns or Godfathers, plus we also have a couple good stone oven places here in town

Haven't eaten there in at least a year or two but they're starting to die off. I think there's only one Pizza Hut in the Portland area where as ten years ago, there were five or six. And that one Pizza Hut is one of those really lame Pizza Hut Italian Bistros.

I'm not a fan but I'd definitely eat there any day over Dominoes and I'd probably put it on par with Papa John's. Not a fan of chain pizza outfits though, even at its best, it's mediocre compared to some of the good brick oven places that have opened up in the past few years.

I've never understood the McDonalds of pizza comparison. I've always found it perfectly acceptable. Not that I've eaten there in a while. Many better options, but in truth, it's really to make bad pizza. Even frozen pizza, or school cafeteria pizza is decent. Something like Pizza Hut, that's just... good.

I haven't seen a Godfathers in years. Other pizza chains I haven't seen in years include Straw Hat and Numero Uno. I don't even remember if they were good.

Guest Smues

Pizza Hut still seems the same to me. And I wouldn't compare it to McDonalds since McDonalds tends to be on the cheap end of fast food, while Pizza Hut tends to not be very cheap. The 'limited time offer' pizzas piss me off because I got hooked on P'zones in 2003, then they got rid of them until recently. Then I got hooked again, and I think they're already gone again. Thank god the stuffed crust pizza is a permenant menu item. As long as they sell that pizza I'll be a loyal customer for life.

I don't remember exact details but several years ago my cousin and I received a pizza we didn't quite like. I think we were dining in and their response to us was "yeah, they gave us a new type of dough, a lot of people don't like it". At least they were honest.

Pizza Hut is good if you want a pizza you can tell is absolutely awful for you. The crust has this greasy taste to it that you wither love or hate and they seem to have a unique cheese blend that no other chain replicates. Supreme - mushrooms = good stuff. But it's very rarely they I will order from them, I generally stick with local pizzerias.

They definitely need to bring the Pepperoni Trio back.

Papa John's is my favorite of the national chains. I've never thought Pizza Hut was that bad and Domino's is total shit. I'd liken them more to McDonald's than anything else. But let's face it, from each national fast food chain to the next, no matter what type it is, there really isn't that much variance and nothing is so good as to choose any of them over a good local chain or solo shop, except out of convenience.

They have changed something. the pan pizza isn't the crispy edged scorced cheese, greezy goodness it once was. Now it just is...ugh. I don't like it anymore.

Guest Gym Class Fallout

Milky's right: you've gotta work hard to fuck up pizza. Oh, it's been done, but Pizza Hut is merely pedestrian.

This JN News guy fascinates me, though. In another thread, he listed his favorite restaurants, and they were like McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and KFC. Now, he's saying that Pizza Hut has gone downhill?!? I'm beginning to wonder if he tops out at Chili's, quality-wise.

I still like Pizza Hut. I love the Pepperoni lovers.

I remember Papa John's use to have a deal with my high school. I haven't had it since at least 2004. It's just bland.

Milky's right: you've gotta work hard to fuck up pizza. Oh, it's been done, but Pizza Hut is merely pedestrian.

This JN News guy fascinates me, though. In another thread, he listed his favorite restuarants, and they were like McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and KFC. Now, he's saying that Pizza Hut has gone downhill?!? I'm beginning to wonder if he tops out at Chili's, quality-wise.

I still think you're overselling it. He probably tops out at Pizza Hut.

As far as the national chains go, Papa John's is the best, with Pizza Hut and Domino's fighting for a mediocre second and Little Caesar's being slightly better than shoe leather. In the end, all of them should be avoided when there are millions of other pizza options out there.

I've never understood the McDonalds of pizza comparison.

snuffy's explanation was good, but for me it's that Pizza Hut is essentially the biggest name in American pizza chains, as McDonalds to burgers, but both of their food products are subpar and there are so many better options available, both chainwise and locally

Is it just the Portland, ME area or are a bunch of new local pizza places opening up across the nation? Ten years ago, we had one or two good local pizza places but now we have probably close to a dozen. I think there have been five that have opened up in the past two or three years alone. None of the chain pizza places are doing well here, I mentioned all but one of the Pizza Huts closing down, Papa John's closed a bunch of stores too and we've always had one Dominoes and one Uno's and they've never been popular. The kind of restauarant that sticks around for years despite the fact you never see anyone in the parking lot and you ask yourself "What the fuck are they still doing here?" It's that same way up here with Arby's.

Guest Smues
The Brooklyn Pizza from Dominos is good, nothing like their normal pizza... though it is a decade late rip-off of the Hut's "Big New Yorker".

Oh my god the Big New Yorker. My body has built up a tolerance to the amount of grease in normal Pizza Hut pizzas, but even I couldn't eat that thing without either my stomach hurting for a couple of hours or getting the nastiest pizza shits I ever got. And yet I still kept eating that thing when they had it. Odd.

Yeah, there's about four or five local joints here, plus Papa John's and Domino's, that I'd go to before choosing Pizza Hut. I don't think I've had Little Caesar's since they went to their new $5 campaign.

I like LC pizza, but I got burned out on it a few years ago. The place was right next door to me, and the pizzas just seemed made real lazy. however I am hungry and nothing is in the house tonight...I like likely get a hot and ready pizza.

Oh man, Hungry Howies was great. They were all over the place in Florida, but there's only one here and it has a very limited menu, just pizza and salads. The awesome subs were what I really liked about that place, and pretty good wings and other typical pizza sides. And baked pasta as well.

Oh there's Round Table, too. They're pretty good. One time I was working in a national park and the little town that was the only place to get something to eat within like two hours only had a burger place and a Round Table, so I got a little sick of both.

Guest Vitamin X

A pizza thread! Yes!

When I worked at Domino's, I was actually surprised to know that they were the #1 pizza chain in the country, since I had always thought of Pizza Hut as the undisputed champion of pizza chains. Not in quality, god no, but all the McD's comparisons are correct. They've grossly manufactured, deep fried pizza dough which had been previously frozen and mostly come from some shit factory farm. And I abhor anything owned by PepsiCo, which would include KFC and Taco Bell. This would still apply if I ate meat, by the way. Of the three, I think I like Taco Bell best because you actually get what you pay for. Of the national chains though, I think I'd have to go for Papa John's, because of their hand-tossed sweet crust and the ingredients taste a lot better. Unfortunately, they're the most expensive. But aside that, I almost never eat at the big chains, since there's so many tremendously awesome places locally, and this has applied to a lot of places I lived. Even in Miami, where everything is a chain or franchise restaurant, you could find amazing authentic New York pizza on South Beach.

Which, sort of off-topic, also leads me to be incredibly disgusted by any restaurant I see being served by a Sysco truck out in the back. It's amazing more Americans don't give a fuck where their food comes from or how it's made, just that they have it, and plenty of it, and that it's greasy enough to fulfill their decadent desires.

This JN News guy fascinates me, though. In another thread, he listed his favorite restuarants, and they were like McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut, and KFC. Now, he's saying that Pizza Hut has gone downhill?!? I'm beginning to wonder if he tops out at Chili's, quality-wise.

I'm thinking that for a nice night out, he goes to Denny's.

I only recently learned that I actually have the potential to enjoy pizza. Their lunch time buffet is a godsend for a jobless person like me.

There aren't any good local places that deliver around here, so Papa John's and Pizza Hut are the only options. I mean, there ARE good local places, they just don't deliver.