TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Smartly Pretty

Frozen Foods

*bump*

I was going to start a new thread about frozen foods but I guess this old one will suffice. Tina's Frozen Burritos are now 2 for a $1. Really miss the days when I could get 3 for a dollar. I'm addicted to The Red Hot Beef variety.

I'll have more to add later on the subject being a broke college student who eats a lot of the crap.

I dunno. Just not super expensive. Pretty much anything I can get at a grocery store.

I haven't seen cheese sticks like that which could be considered a "bargain." Most are a few dollars a box, and you don't get much for the money. Then again, when I'm in the frozen food section, I don't pick up these items. If you can get to a Sam's Club or Costco with a friend's membership card you would probably have a much better chance of getting more for your money.

I will say that when I go through the weekly grocery store ads I rarely see this food on sale, and they aren't often offered in Sunday newspaper coupon packs. The only exception I have seen were those "TGIF appetizers" and even after the store and coupon discount I still wouldn't consider that to be a good value ($2 per box), unless you are really craving for a few cheese sticks/potato skins.

Tina's Frozen Burritos are now 2 for a $1. Really miss the days when I could get 3 for a dollar.

You can't pony up the extra 20 cents?

Well I didn't say I wasn't still buying them. Just mildly disappointed that they raised the price.

I've never gotten why mozzarella sticks are as expensive as they are. It's not like they're using really good mozzarella or anything.

Guest Vitamin X

Mozzarella is expensive, and the processing times it takes to bread them and all probably costs a bit of money. Try buying a couple balls of mozzarella yourself and see. It's pricey, but making your own might be worth it. I guess you could also buy string cheese, cut them in half, and then just coat them in a batter, then just fry em up. Some recipes out there think you should freeze them for a while so the batter sticks- I haven't tried making them either way, but I don't know about that.

On the topic though, since I'm going through a slightly crazy resourcefulness experiment, I've learned quickly how to use my freezer for a lot more stuff, particularly freezing vegetables. Freezing fruits is kind of a waste (they can only be used for cooking since they get a bit mushy, from my understanding) but I've thrown out loads of perfectly good leafy vegetables, beets, asparagus, all of that because I don't use them quickly enough or forget about it. It saves money to go through the fridge every week and look at what you're going to cook soon- if you aren't, just freeze it (or compost it, if that's your thing). Saves a lot of trips to the grocery store, I think.

TGI Fridays makes some pretty good chicken wings.

I like Boston Market's frozen macaroni and cheese, but it always makes me go to the bathroom.

Stouffer's rigatoini with pesto sauce is also really good.

I eat a lot of frozen food.

I've thrown out loads of perfectly good leafy vegetables, beets, asparagus, all of that because I don't use them quickly enough or forget about it.

I just got those green bag "as seen on TV" things that are supposed to keep food fresher longer. It seems to work with the lettuce I put in there.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Last night I cooked three frozen eggrolls, since I was way too worn out to cook anything from scratch, and my god the flatulence. It's just vulgar in terms of smell, sound, and frequency.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm not sure my rectum can handle the pressure. I eat plenty of cabbage and grease to no ill effect, but these...

Guest Vitamin X
I've thrown out loads of perfectly good leafy vegetables, beets, asparagus, all of that because I don't use them quickly enough or forget about it.

I just got those green bag "as seen on TV" things that are supposed to keep food fresher longer. It seems to work with the lettuce I put in there.

I used to have them because I went to the farmer's market near my house just about every week and, not having a salad spinner at the time, wasn't able to get the moisture out of a lot of them so they didn't last any longer than a regular ziplock.

In my experience, seems like the best thing to do is to vacuum pack and/or freeze them. That green bag stuff is mostly a sham, but for some folks it seems to work out better. I think the key is in making sure the veggies are totally dry. But the way the commercials and stuff make it sound is that even at optimal conditions, you'll have stuff lasting for up to a month or whatever, which I certainly never had. Not even close.

I usually get enough fruit and veggies to last a week, so the extra "protection" those bags do seems to work for me in case I have some salad mix or fruit lasting another week or so. No way I'd keep food like that in those bags for as long as those commercials claim. Only thing I vacuum bag is meat.