TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

UFC 81: Breaking Point

It's possible for any human to become winded/gassed. No matter how well/superiorly conditioned you are. It's a fact of nature.

This is generally the reasoning behind many losses in MMA. Add in fighting someone who is leagues ahead of yourself in terms of skill and training, and it's a no brainer.

Mir obviously has experience, and overall skill on Lesnar. However, I think Lesnar's overall frightening strength will be his greatest asset in the MMA ring.

I ask this as someone with very little experience of watching MMA, so please don't kill me. Is Brock REALLY that strong? I know he was put over as such in the WWE, but in terms of real life is he proportionally much stronger than an equivalently -sized, roughly equivalently-built guy? Or is it just that he's big in comparison to most other fighters?

Mir isn't a small dude by any means and Brock has only had one fight in which I didn't see anything special in terms of strength so that question is more or less up in the air air right now. I've no doubt he's a strong guy but whether or not he'll be able to utilize that strength without gassing is the question.

There's a difference between grappling strength (for lack of a better term) and, say, deadlifting strength. A lot of different muscle groups come into play when you're grappling, and some are ones regular folk don't normally work out. Now, with Brock having wrestled for years, he'd develop a lot of muscle and tendon strength for that area -thighs, shoulders, lats, forearms, core, neck, etc-, but if he gets put on his back and Mir presses his weight down, the fact that Brock threw Spike Dudley in the air and caught him for a powerbomb means fuckall, because that sort of pressure and weight distribution is going to be a bitch to deal with and will normally have to be battled through technique rather than strength.

Is Brock REALLY that strong?

DUDE! HE F5'D THE 7'0", 500LBS BIG SHOW~!!!!!!!!!!

For a moment I read that as seventy foot...

So I'll take your answer to be 'no, except in kayfabe' then.

His first MMA fight was boring. He took the guy down and basically laid on him to death.......and the fight continued like that for it's entirety.

His first MMA fight was boring. He took the guy down and basically laid on him to death.......and the fight continued like that for it's entirety.

Ummm, he stopped the guy in under 2 minutes.

Ummm, he stopped the guy in under 2 minutes.

Hey for some guys, that *IS* an eternity.

But seriously Mike, there was a bit of clubberin' going on there. It wasn't all about Sherking the guy.

Tim Sylvia drops some interesting tidbits about Lesnar on Mr. Sunshine...

http://mrsunshinevegas.wordpress.com/

Generally, he thinks Mir is going to tap Brock; that he trained with Brock and that Brock is a "baby" who trains refusing to get hit.

Tim Sylvia's opinion holds no weight because...

A) Sylvia wants Mir to win so he can get his rematch.

B) Sylvia talks out of his ass 99% of the time.

Hmm, I assumed that he didn't talk about Lesnar at all there, since they didn't allude to it in the newsbyte. That would have been worthy of a preview. It would have got me to listen, so knowing that it's there I will!

Speaking of TIMMY~! apparently him vs. Big Nog is official for the undisputed heavyweight championship...interim style that is, because Randy is expected to be back by Dana. I'm not so sure about that, but that's alright. Any excuse to make this fight five rounds is fine by me. VERY intriguing fight.

Guest Vincent Vega

Is it wrong for me to hope that Big Nog slaps Big Tim in the most vicious armbar in the history of the universe and snaps every bone in his ugly gorilla arms? I don't know the guy but their is something about him (the shit talking, the horriblely boring fights, the fact that when he was champ he wore his belt around his waste every fucking place he went) that makes me dislike him more then anyone I personally know and dislike.

And don't mention Herring's fluke kick as "Nog almost got knocked out" because it was a fluke and he still wasn't unconscious.

If Herring would have followed up with something, the fight would have been over and he would have redeemed his UFC run.

Sylvia is going to win. Nog doesn't have anything on his punches, and I see Sylvia not having many problems off his back against him.

And don't mention Herring's fluke kick as "Nog almost got knocked out" because it was a fluke and he still wasn't unconscious.

If Herring would have followed up with something, the fight would have been over and he would have redeemed his UFC run.

Sylvia is going to win. Nog doesn't have anything on his punches, and I see Sylvia not having many problems off his back against him.

Shut the fuck up with your fat hick boy love.

If Nogueria sticks to the right game plan, his overall boxing skills should win him the fight in the stand up department. Randy Couture made Sylvia look silly on his feet, and Randy isn't really known for his striking skills.

On the ground, Nogueria would submit Sylvia easily.

Nogueria is going to be the heavyweight champion.

Speaking of TIMMY~! apparently him vs. Big Nog is official for the undisputed heavyweight championship...interim style that is, because Randy is expected to be back by Dana.

Doesn't that make this a disputed HW championship? Besides which, nothing's undisputed until whoever the UFC HW champ is fights Fedor.

Dana White officially removed any chance for Brock to become a phenomenon by announcing his opponent for February 2 as Frank Mir. White is one arrogant idiot. He had a perfect opportunity to build a monster in Lesnar by feeding him squashes until about 4 fights in where any of the top tier Heavyweights could've been used for a blockbuster PPV. Imagine Randy showing up and calling Lesnar a fraud to his face and challenging him to a fight after Brock left bodies laying.

Mir is fully recovered from his injuries and is primed and ready for a comeback. I have faith in Brock but this isn't the matchmaking that will assure a superstar showdown in the heavyweight division.

After the fiasco surrounding his handling of the PRIDE fighters I would think he would take a different approach with Lesnar. If he paid Brock above mid 6 figures to have him debut against Mir then he is really disturbed.

Ok, so I really don't follow MMA and don't know who Frank Mir is or what he's done in the sport of MMA, but from the sounds of it, Mir isn't some kind of push over, so to a point I kinda agree with you. I think Lesnar should have been paired up against a lesser known guy for his debut. I'm not saying Lesnar should fight a guy whose gonna be a push over, I just think Lesnar should fight someone with less cred than what it sounds like Mir has. Then again I kinda see what Dana is trying to promote here.

Lesnar is a VERY accomplished person. Brock has pretty much dominated in everything he's put effort into...except football, I'm not counting football. Not only that, but Brock might the first person to go from Pro Wrestling to MMA fighting and succed at it. There's a lot of potential big buisness riding on Brock and if Dana just throws in some random guy to fight Lesnar and Lesnar just runs him over, is it gonna build anything? Not really, I mean it could, but by throwing some random fighter in there with Lesnar isn't going to build any hype.

Now you have Frank Mir, whose apprently being hyped up as someone's whose making some sort of comback (but from the sound of it, he's really not.) and Mir has apprently won the UFC title (?) at some point(s) in his career.

So you have two people here, who people can get really behind. On one hand, you have the Pro Wrestler who wants to enter the MMA world and he's hungry to show people what he can do in MMA and then on the other hand, you have the experiance UFC figher whose trying to work his way back up the UFC ranks. Both fighers are potential success money story. It's going to be really good hype. Espically when you counter in all the Pro Wrestling fans who are going to want to know if Brock can cut it in the UFC...and just beat the shit out of the UFC fighters (fingers crossed :D ).

We're going to start seeing a lot of UFC ads during WWE and TNA programming pretty soon. If not, Dana is a fool for not running ads during those times.

Yeah but isn't that how most UFC fights kinda go? Most of the time when I watch UFC (I watch only every once in awhile.), it seems one just tries to lay on top of the other fighter near the fence and pin him in that area.

Oh and I'm going for Brock to win the fight...obvious reasons of course.

Brock's first fight was mostly boring because of his opponent. Brock got on top and he hung onto Brock's torso. Never made an attempt to get out, or strike him. Brock got a few shots in and might have slammed on top of him (haven't seen the fight in a while so my memory is really foggy on this fight). After a while like that the ref had to call the fight. The fight was effective getting Brock to 1-0, but does nothing at all to prepare him for an actual competetive match. For that reason, I'm calling a Mir by TKO in the first round.