TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 79: Nemesis

I can vouch for Kang, Jardine, et al being around. Whether you believe he's been training as hard for the past few months as he would for a fight is up to you. That's probably not true, as fight training would be pretty hard to sustain for that long without leading to burn out and overtraining. But he never takes time off and stops, that much is true.

This fight will be worse for Hughes than the second one.

I can vouch for Kang, Jardine, et al being around. Whether you believe he's been training as hard for the past few months as he would for a fight is up to you. That's probably not true, as fight training would be pretty hard to sustain for that long without leading to burn out and overtraining. But he never takes time off and stops, that much is true.

My cousin saw GSP at a club in Montreal about a week after the fight was announced, if that means anything.

The guest list for my UFC House party is going to be the biggest gathering since UFC 71....no MMA fighters or famous people will be attending, so I doubt anyone cares....

Are Kid n Play going to be there?

Play should be there, but I heard Kid is grounded. Maybe he will sneak out and go through some zany adventures on the way over, just to make it in time for when the house party really starts poppin'

In an interesting move that might impact the overall buyrate and viewings of UFC 79 the Patriots vs Giants game on Saturday night will be the first ever football game to be simulcast on multiple networks with NBC and CBS both showing it. According to Da Meltz NFL games have shown to have a negative impact on UFC events in the past.

Since this isn't the NFL forums, I will try to make my comment on the game as short as possible. Is there any reason to believe that the Giants could beat the Patriots anyway? Unless the Pats rest their starters. I will probably be watching the game or playing video games until the UFC starts, but I am going to have a packed house that want to watch the fights....so UFC wins!!!

*I guess I can have the game on in the bedroom so we can keep up with what is going on*

Guest Warriorfan

I am surprised everyone is looking for Hughes to be annihilated in this fight. The rematch while impressive on the part of GSP also looked to be just one of those nights for Hughes. I think Hughes will outlast GSP and earn a 4th RD stoppage.

To the Liddell vs Silva fight; that is a lot harder to choose from.

It's a crossroads fight for both participants but especially for Liddell. While watching the fight he had with Jardine, Liddell looked gun-shy throught and was especially so after Jardine put him down with a perfect punch. I don't know if Liddell could get the visions of the KO he suffered from Rampage out of his mind, especially given who he is fighting. While Silva got KO'd against Henderson he looked a lot better in that fight than Liddell has in his last 2.

I think it will be a 1st RD shootout with Silva landing the final shot.

Oh man, the best line from the press conference...

Hughes: "I thought it was funny that I didn't receive a phone call, I read about it on the internet"

Dana: "I was trying to kill myself"

Ok, maybe GSP said it best...

(in regards to fighting a fresh guy every round) "I trained myself to fight an army"

Randy picks Silva. Though he trains with Silva, so there is a conflict of interest. Still, he is the Randy.

UFC Interim Welterweight Championship

Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Hughes – ST. PIERRE

---------------------------------------

Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva - SILVA

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida - SOKOUDJOU

Eddie Sanchez vs. Soa Palalei - PALALEI

Melvin Guillard vs. Rich Clementi - GUILLARD

Are those your or the Natural's picks?

GSP by whatever he wants, whenever he wants.

Chuck by (T)KO, Rd 1.

(I'm 51-49 on this, Wanderlei could just as easily win with the same result)

Machida via TKO Rd. 3

Clementi by submission Rd. 2

Soa by TKO Rd. 2

Evans by TKO Stoppage Rd. 2

Gamburyan, Radev, and Cane in a fight I hope makes it onto the main card. I want to see if this guy can live up to his hype. Irvin is a decent test for a first HL reel KO I guess. Desouza probably gets decisioned by Roan.

GSP did mention something during that weigh-in that stuck with me. Something along the line of, "I didn't have a very good Christmas, but I'll have a good new year." It came off as superfluous to me. If, a few weeks down the road, we hear he was having problems at home, it wouldn't suprise me.

Still my educated guesses are...

SILVA over Liddell via TKO

ST. PIERRE over Hughes via TKO

MACHIDA over Sokoudjou via decision (though I wish for a SOKO win)

PALELEI over Sanchez via sub

plus

MANNY over whoeverthefuck

Those are THEE Natural picks.

Stylistically, Chuck should KO Silva on a counter-punch (just given the way Silva rushes in and the way Chuck steps back, and also given that Silva has gotten caught like that in the past) or at least get a knockdown and then either finish with GnP or rinse and repeat for an eventual stoppage. However. Dude lost to Keith Jardine. Silva is better than Jardine.

Chuck had opportunities to put Keith down and he didn't capitalize for whatever reason, which is a bit concerning if you are a Liddell fan. Also, before his big run of knocking out grapplers, Liddell had a string of decision wins over lackluster opposition. Killer Instinct is such a big part of the game, and Chuck was just waiting around for that one punch that never came.

Silva's conditioning also looks to be improved while Chuck will probably come into it in Chuck shape, so if Silva uses the right strategy Wand could use Chuck's one punch-wait-and-see approach against him. But this is precipitated on the fact that Wand doesn't come forward and give Chuck an opening, which is probably not going to happen. Odds are Chuck will catch Wand in the 3 rounds.

But I want Wand to win. There are just more options available with him being relevant in the division.

I don't have an actual predicton for Wandy/Chuck... My only prediction is whoever lands the 1st big punch wins the fight.

GSP will kick Hughes ass again.

Guillard will KO Clementi.

Machida will beat Sokodjou by UD.

Soa will KO Sanchez.

Guest Warriorfan

Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Hughes – Matt Hughes 4th RD KO 2:54

Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva - Wanderlei Silva 1st RD KO 3:20

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou vs. Lyoto Machida - Sokoudjo 2nd RD susbmission

Eddie Sanchez vs. Soa Palalei - Soa Palalei Decison

Melvin Guillard vs. Rich Clementi - Melvin Guillard 3rd RNC

I really think at some point tonight Liddell is gonna land that big counter shot. I just can't decide if it'll KO Silva or not.

Silva's only been KO'd twice in his career, in his last two fights...but he was fighting an on-form Mirko Cro Cop, and then Dan Henderson who no one, let alone Silva, thought would KO him. Silva also claimed to have been deathly ill for that fight too, but that could just be BS.

The safe money is on the big counter shot landing and KOing Silva, but Silva usually DOES get tagged in his fights, it just stuns him. Silva comes back from being stunned faster then just about anyone, and if Liddell doesn't KO him with that shot I could see Liddell going "...WHATTHEFUCK?!" and he either begins to overthink or mentally gives up.

However, if Liddell stupidly begins to throw with Silva, Liddell's going out. Silva's a FAR better technical striker with a bigger arsenal. In my mind, Liddell only has that one shot.