TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007

Yeah, WCW had a real air of aimlessness about it at that point in time. I mean what did it really matter if you win the Battlebowl? What did it really matter if Sting or Vader won the King of Cable tourney? What the hell does being the King of Cable even MEAN? In actuality it meant so much that Vader (who lost that KoC finals) won the world title from Ron Simmons right after that Starrcade.

Running tournaments is a staple of some promotions, and it was popular in WCW at the time. It was meant as a similar concept as King of the Ring, but of course WWF had that copyrighted. King of Cable comes from WCW using wrapped cables as their ring ropes.

Back in the day I thought it referred to wrestling being on cable television (and for all I know, that IS what it meant).

I think Venkman's right. Every wrestling ring except maybe some set up in the backyard has wrapped cables for ropes, so that makes no sense.

Yeah I distinctly remember the alleged meaning of King of Cable (basically it meant whoever won would be considered the best wrestler on cable TV). But what I mean is....what the hell did it really MEAN? Sometimes KOTR at least means you get a title shot at SummerSlam or at least a big push in the future. Vader lost the KoC finals but beat Ron Simmons mere days later for the belt.

Now that I think about this, did Sting actually have a real WCW title run from roughly 1993 until the Starrcade 1997 fiasco? I think he held the bogus NWA/Big Gold Belt/International title a couple of times, but not the WCW belt.

I finished Starrcade, and again, what a weird show. The battlebowl was also pointless, since they even had a feature on the ring (!) but don't even award it to Muta!

Quick question:

I am moving sometime in the next year about 15 to 20 minutes away from where I am now. How long does it take for me to get WWE 24/7 back after the move and cable is set up? Can I get it set up before I even move in?

That's really up to your cable company. It takes 24-48 hours for OnDemand services to work when you activate them on my system here.

As for Sting, yeah, WCW just kept pushing him as a top star while he feuded with the likes of Sid Vicious (and defeated him to prove he was "The Franchise"... though I don't know how that proved anything) and British Bulldog got WCW title shots at Vader. He ended up beating Rude for the Big Gold Belt in 94 purely for the purpose of it being unified with the WCW title, and all of that was just a set-up for Flair to turn heel and drop the strap to Hogan.

I finished Starrcade, and again, what a weird show. The battlebowl was also pointless, since they even had a feature on the ring (!) but don't even award it to Muta!

Didn't they give Sting his at the start of the show? So, in theory, Muta would get his a year later.

Newest NWA show is up (2/8/86 I think) with jazzy new graphics (and sound effects!). This Virgil Runnels producer-dude (whoever that loser is) is finally earning his keep.

I know who it is.

It's like we're watching it from the moon!

Didn't they give Sting his at the start of the show? So, in theory, Muta would get his a year later.

The problem is they didn't give it to Muta the next year, and he was in the country at the time.

Yeah, WCW had a real air of aimlessness about it at that point in time. I mean what did it really matter if you win the Battlebowl? What did it really matter if Sting or Vader won the King of Cable tourney? What the hell does being the King of Cable even MEAN? In actuality it meant so much that Vader (who lost that KoC finals) won the world title from Ron Simmons right after that Starrcade.

Making Starrcade 91 and 92 nothing more than an insignifcant battle royal was a stupid idea by Dusty.

Sting had a six-day reign as WCW World Champion from March 11 to March 17. This was during a tour of Europe.

dont you love that wwe used THE SAME THEME for almost every match in the lethal lottery? but they kept "family man" for steamboat, yikes! I guess they can use the songs from the wcw albulm only. explaining why they apprantly dubbed in "dont step to ron" over simmons old theme

Making Starrcade 91 and 92 nothing more than an insignifcant battle royal was a stupid idea by Dusty.

Sting had a six-day reign as WCW World Champion from March 11 to March 17. This was during a tour of Europe.

For whatever reason, WCW had some strange fascination of making the biggest show of the year a display for some gimmick heavy card -

The Iron Man tournament in 1989

The Tag-Team tournament in 1990

Battle Bowls

The WCW/NJPW series