TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - December 2007

I don't know whether or not I'd call it a formula. A formula denotes that his matches follow a set pattern. I don't always see that in his matches. If you mean, he reverts to his signature spots throughout every match, well, yeah. Every wrestler does that.

Flair's matches did tend to have somewhat of a formula, however, if that formula works, why change?

It's like what Ricky Morton did in tag-team matches. He was able to basically do the same thing in every match: Sell an ass-kicking like he was about to get killed and then make the hot tag to Robert. The formula, though, drew boat loads of money and generated monster heat.

I don't know whether or not I'd call it a formula. A formula denotes that his matches follow a set pattern. I don't always see that in his matches.

If you watch enough Flair matches, you see the pattern just about every time. Not that it's a bad thing, because as has been said, if the formula works, why changed it? But the formula is there.

Why are those Raws so short?

The 8th ep of Raw is actually 44:32, it's just listed wrong. Yeah I know, I was shocked too :P

The 1 Year Anniversary show is 36:57. Not sure what they cut out there. All the matches are there according to Cawthon's site. I know for the 1993 Raws, they're hacking away the Mania teasers.

I figure there are at least 1 (or 2) "Promotional Consideration" spots being cut too.

Although King can probably just tell us in 3 minutes and save me from waiting 5 hours to find out, I would find it awesome if Maria's gift was The Dating Game. I'm not counting on that, though.

MitB from WM 23. Since I haven't seen it, that's good.

It's a fun match that should have been the first step in turning Kennedy into a major player before certain circumstances happened.

And Hornswaggle gets a big pop as well.

Flair's gift is him vs. Dusty from Starrcade 1985. Boo.

Dusty Rhodes...the only man capable of dragging Flair below a three-star match on a consistent basis.

Scott Keith says that's because Dusty insisted on working his own formula, instead of Flair just plugging another guy into his consistently winning formula for a good match.

thats not from 85, thats actually starrcade 84 with fraiser as the ref and the money on the line. they did face again in 85, but that was the match with the "dusty finish" where it appeared dusty had won, but the original ref had seen arn anderson interfere and dqed flair on tv the next week

Yeah, Frisco is a smart bunch.

I downloaded some Legends of Wrestling episodes that were available (Heatseekers, Monday Night War, and Bad Asses). Good stuff all around, though I wish I knew the MNW one was 96 minutes. I'm only 51 minutes in and will need to stop it at 8.

As usual everyone is very good and making subtle remarks that I find amusing, in particular JR making a comment to the effect of "not sure why it's still not like that [characters based on real life character traits of the performer] but that's a story for another day".

Lawler seems pretty annoyed when Hayes calls him out on having his own private dressing room during a conversation about the importance of not singling people out that way.

I'd never seen the second jab at Foley that they had Tony do the week he won the title.

Mark Henry says his favourite match is Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from WrestleMania 13 (which the match graphic screen states was held April 2, 1989... good work).

I'm going to watch it because it's probably looking better than my VHS copy and I have the first run of the Bret DVD with the out of synch sound version of the match.

Flair's gift is him vs. Dusty from Starrcade 1985. Boo.

Dusty Rhodes...the only man capable of dragging Flair below a three-star match on a consistent basis.

Scott Keith says that's because Dusty insisted on working his own formula, instead of Flair just plugging another guy into his consistently winning formula for a good match.

thats not from 85, thats actually starrcade 84 with fraiser as the ref and the money on the line. they did face again in 85, but that was the match with the "dusty finish" where it appeared dusty had won, but the original ref had seen arn anderson interfere and dqed flair on tv the next week

That Starrcade 84 match was brutal. 15 minutes of rountine action with another incompetant referee that ends in a bull**** finish. Dusty couldn't even do a normal job on the biggest show of the year.

Guest flairfan

The Flair/Rhodes match from Cade 84 is not good. However, Flair and Dusty had some CLASSIC matches... Starrcade 85 was good, Bash 86 was great, the NWA TV Episode where Baby Doll turns on Dusty is a CLASSIC! Flair and Dusty also had a match on Crockett Cup 86, but I didnt think it was that good. There was also another NWA TV match where Dusty was supposed to wrestle a Jobber and threw him out of the ring and called out Flair. This was a Classic also and the crowd went NUTS for this..

When Flair and Dusty faced off, it was like Bird Vs Magic! If not for Dusty Rhodes, then the Horsemen would not have been!!!!

Mark Henry says his favourite match is Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin from WrestleMania 13 (which the match graphic screen states was held April 2, 1989... good work).

I'm going to watch it because it's probably looking better than my VHS copy and I have the first run of the Bret DVD with the out of synch sound version of the match.

yea me too, so I recorded it on dvd this morning. this version started at the opening bell so they cut out entrances, but unlike the bret dvd they showed the full-post-match events and end with austin walking to the back to the "austin" chant. but yea at least the audio is right in this one.

whens the pick your big one coming on? and what won the poll by the way?

Guest flairfan

yea me too, so I recorded it on dvd this morning. this version started at the opening bell so they cut out entrances, but unlike the bret dvd they showed the full-post-match events and end with austin walking to the back to the "austin" chant. but yea at least the audio is right in this one.

I have it on the Wrestlemania Anthology set and the audio is fine on that one.

1. Happy Birthday.

2. Probably this or next week... Sunflower never knows but it should be mentioned the week of in WWE.com's weekly schedule.

3. Starrcade 92.

Guest krash9924

wow that primetime from 92 may have had the worst hair of any card ever. I have never seen so many bad haircuts on one show. It also seems like WWE was heading in the right direction but I guess when flair left all the plans left with him because wrestlemania that year was horrible.

1. Happy Birthday.

2. Probably this or next week... Sunflower never knows but it should be mentioned the week of in WWE.com's weekly schedule.

3. Starrcade 92.

thank you

and come on Krash, Crush did have a sweet mullet back then, you gotta admit :)

Why exactly did they release Flair right after the Rumble in 1993? I'd have kept him around through WM and have him put over Bret or someone, maybe do the Hennig match there instead of Raw.

I do agree that Dusty and Flair have some pretty good matches. The Starrcade 84 match had a lame finish but I did like the 85 match. I did see the GAB 86 match years and years ago, seem to recall it being decent.

Guest krash9924

1. Happy Birthday.

3. Starrcade 92.

thank you

and come on Krash, Crush did have a sweet mullet back then, you gotta admit :)

Crush's mullet was a thing of wonder I will give you that.

Why exactly did they release Flair right after the Rumble in 1993? I'd have kept him around through WM and have him put over Bret or someone, maybe do the Hennig match there instead of Raw.

I do agree that Dusty and Flair have some pretty good matches. The Starrcade 84 match had a lame finish but I did like the 85 match. I did see the GAB 86 match years and years ago, seem to recall it being decent.

Flair explains it in his autobiography. Vince told him when he first came to the WWF if they didn't have any plans for him, he was free to leave the company. After Survivor Series and with Razor Ramon becoming a top heel, they didn't have any plans for Flair. WCW was interested in getting him back so Flair asked if he could go. Vince granted it, provided that he put over Hennig in a loser-leaves-the-WWF match.

NWA Wrestling 2/8/86 WWE 12-26-07 1-8-08 TV-14

That's going to be the next NWA Wrestling update. So it doesn't look like we'll get that big 2/7/86 Challenge Series card they were hying at the time. Too bad.

Yeah but why not save that awesome Hennig/Flair match for WM and then Flair goes out on a big high note? What, was that epic Perfect/Luger match so necessary? They gave away a match on an early Raw that was 10x better than anything actually on WM IX that year. Might have been worth it in a way though, since that match was huge in terms of making Raw a show where important stuff can go down.

I watched the intro to Starrcade 98 before going to sleep last night - good lord that intro was bland and boring (was possibly more exciting music lost in dubbing?). And they just keep rambling forever until they actually start the show! That effect where the wrestler's name is on a piece of paper with a camera going all shakey for the TurnerTron is really annoying too.

Oh, WCW was terrible about just fucking STARTING a PPV. Halloween Havoc 1998 was a show that ran way over 3 hours and there were all sorts of interviews, Nitro girl dances, and bullshit that they could have cut out to make the show a much more feasible 165m or so.

Oh, WCW was terrible about just fucking STARTING a PPV. Halloween Havoc 1998 was a show that ran way over 3 hours and there were all sorts of interviews, Nitro girl dances, and bullshit that they could have cut out to make the show a much more feasible 165m or so.

Production values were the biggest thing that separated WCW and WWF/E in my opinion.

I don't mind it (in fact I think it's a nice production touch) when WWE has all the announcers introduce themselves while the PPV's theme is playing, but good lord, the Starrcade music (which I have to imagine was different originally due to the sound quality) stops and we have to listen to Tony Schivonie drone on at their stupid desk that faces away from the ring.... then they throw it to Gene Okerlund! "HOTLINE NOT ACTIVE - DO NOT CALL" - good times. They should have thrown it to Lee Marshall for some bad weasel puns on top of it all.