TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

The Wire: Final Season

Well, now that it's aired... RIP Prop Joe.

I made it through all the leaked episodes (1-7), so now I have a long wait until I get to see the climax. Ugh... my own fault, though.

Yeah I watched episodes 4-7 in about two days and now I too am just sitting and waiting for the last three episodes....after watching them that fast (and previously watching season 4 in about a weekend) the wait for episode 8 seems like forever.

Yeah I just watched episode 7 too.

The thing about this season so far is that it's almost too good. It won't be easy seeing this show end when it keeps getting better and better.

Leave em' wanting more I guess. That's something Hollywood never quite got.

Here are a few things I'm worried about:

1) Avon HAS to show back up. If he ends his Wire series run with that gay ass west side to Marlo then that sucks. Especially since their first jail scene was one of the best scenes ever. It just can NOT end that way for him.

Don't read this unless until you finish at least episode 6:

2)

I'd say the way they are setting it up: it's about 50/50 for Omar to live/die. He is all types of awesome right now hobbling around robbing/killing Marlo's guys without even trying to hide his broken leg. But the way they are playing it... the whole "tell Marlo he isn't man enough to come and find me in the streets" deal... I don't know. I want him to live, but I have a feeling that if he goes it's going to be in spectacular fashion.

3) I hope McNulty and Freamon honestly get away with this. At the same time, I hope Templeton gets caught. And I realize that you can't have it both ways... so I'll probably be satisfied with whatever Simon comes up with.

And Madman has it right up there. It's almost TOO good right now. The only blow away scenes are Marlo/Avon jail scene #1, Prop Joe's demise, and the end of episode 5 (which most will see today so I won't spoil). But it's so awesome because every single scene adds something. It's the little things...adding up in a BIG WAY. It's definitely rewarding people with good memories who have watched every episode of the series. I just love what they are doing. So like I said... not too many "oh my fucking god" moments (although I expect a few more) but just continued awesome build.

Now a month to wait for the last three episodes. I'll probably just rewatch 5-6-7 as they air.

So far I'm a little cold on this season, mostly because the writing for the newsroom scenes is really bad. Of course, Simon worked at the Baltimore Sun for a decade, so maybe it's more that newspaper people are really insufferable. When I'm watching the newsroom scenes, I feel like I'm watching any old shitty TV show. The whole newspaper side of things also isn't really getting fully explored; I assume the idea is to explain why the public never finds out about all the stuff we observe on the ground level at city hall, in the drug trade, in the school system, etc., but the answers so far--an idiot caricature of a boss! A mustache-twirling fabulist! Budget cutbacks!--are simplistic and dull in a way that nothing on this show usually is.

Aside from that, I'm liking this season. And I'm fully expecting Marlo to win.

Yeah, I agree with the newspaper scenes, but I'm giving them time. I originally didn't like the dock worker scenes in Season 2 either, but eventually those became pretty good. Hopefully the newsroom builds to something.

I was kind of thinking that too until last night's bit with Gus "humorously" translating Carcetti's speech, and the old bearded guy talking like human beings don't actually talk about the word "incense." I'm sure it'll all come together fine, but I'm not buying everything immeditely the way I have with every new element that's been introduced into the show previously, like the docks, city politics, and the schools.

Episode 5:

Oh man, the scene with McNulty at the newspaper was hilarious. That reporter is doing McNulty's work for him.

And that gun fight was god-damned intense. Omar can fly now??!

Episode 5:

Oh man, the scene with McNulty at the newspaper was hilarious. That reporter is doing McNulty's work for him.

I thought it was great when the reporter looked back at McNulty when he said that the police had gotten a call too. Like they were both trying to figure out the other's agenda.

I'm not sure how I felt about the end gun fight. I kept hoping that Omar would pop out of somewhere and cap all three, but I knew it was too soon for that. I hope there is some explanation that isn't Omar can fly.

Episode 5:

I thought it was great when the reporter looked back at McNulty when he said that the police had gotten a call too. Like they were both trying to figure out the other's agenda.

I'm not sure how I felt about the end gun fight. I kept hoping that Omar would pop out of somewhere and cap all three, but I knew it was too soon for that. I hope there is some explanation that isn't Omar can fly.

Though I think that would be the greatest development ever. Take one of the most realistic, down to earth, grittiest shows ever and all of a sudden have one of the characters deelop super powers.

Sure it would totally ruin the show for ever, but it would be so funny

Without addressing anything specifically I feel like I can say that people's fears will not be validated.

Only one thing has happened in the unaired episodes that I find awful and unbelievable but it doesn't involve any major characters and most people won't even notice it. I'll point it out after it happens.

Damn my girl has Dish now instead of Time Warner which had inDemand, these waters are hard to navigate!

I thought it was really cool how Simon had all of the kids run to Omar in Episode 3. A stark contrast to what we have seen the previous 4 seasons.

That was a great simple moment, 30 seconds of almost pure visual that summed up everything about where Omar was, how he got there, how he was doing, etc., in the year or so since the end of Season 4. Removed from the context of a failing city and a nasty drug war, a lot of these guys could be different people. Michael and Dukie at Six Flags acting like 15-year-olds are supposed to act is another great bit in that line.

LOL.

a) no way that gets out

b) KENARD?!?!

c) I agree with your reason why it's probably not real.

The only way that could take place in real time is if it were much later but Kenard would be much older.

LOL.

a) no way that gets out

b) KENARD?!?!

c) I agree with your reason why it's probably not real.

The only way that could take place in real time is if it were much later but Kenard would be much older.

It could be one of the last scenes of the season after the serial killer/Marlo storyline is all wrapped up. Omar has just "won" and lets his guard down and then that happens.

Guest Warriorfan

Simon and Burns have been meticulous in tying up all the loose ends and subplots and with 5 episodes to go I was trying to remember who is left.

Nate- Webay's son seemed to have a happy ending but as always its Baltimore and nothing ever comes that easy.

Colvin- As with Nathan, the chapter seemed to be closed but there may be an angle with that bust on Avon and Stringer being listed as the informant.

Ziggy- No major plot points but a cameo on how he is faring in prison.

The Deacon- The real Avon is due for some action in the last season.

Pooh- The last link to season one's towers graduates.

Brother Muzoun- Maybe the former members of the co-op go for the professional to take out Marlowe.

That's all I can remember for now.

There's so much going on already, I'd rather not see Namond or Colvin again. It's not unrealistic for things to work out for some people. I'm fine leaving that as is.

It's amazing how sympathetic Bodie became throughout the history of the show despite the fact that he cold-bloodedly murdered one of the few innocents the show has offered us. Fantastic.

After 5 episodes, season 5 is starting to pick up dangerous momentum in a billion directions. I like that the newsroom has now become an unknowing accomplice to McNulty's scheme, really through their own individual blends of laziness, pride, and incompetence. The newspaper stuff is a lot more interesting now that we're seeing what happens when it's the people on the ground level not doing their jobs properly, not just the management making cutbacks.