TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

Though it's been addressed (through both speculation and common sense), if anyone is concerned about Benoit being removed from the broken-up versions of the Rumble, don't be. I started watching on Christmas and they are obviously just re-packaged from whole anthology. Despite the fact it's almost 2008, these DVDs have the old "Don't Try This At Home" warning with Benoit and Angle (also both featured in the opening WWE logo on the discs).

So not only did I buy Volume 3 but also Volume 4... I needed a copy of the 2007 Rumble and figured I had $15 extra to waste on the nice packaging of the Anthology sets. Christmas spending mood, I guess. I rationalize that had I bought the entire box as I was planning to early in 2007 I would have had these anyway, and at least this way I didn't have to pay for Volumes 1 and 2 (hooray Christmas!).

Got through HBK's DVD, really enjoyed it. I'm going to give HHH and co the benefit of the doubt on the whole Montreal issue - much like Honky Tonk Man's terrible reign as IC champ where he lost almost all of his matches earning him a mock-heel title as "greatest IC champ ever" that somehow became a non-parody fact over the years, I believe that after 10 years the going by the doctrine that "Bret's last night was Montreal, he had to drop the belt!", it is something everyone now remembers as being 100% true, forgetting he was contracted until December. It is a bit interesting to listen to HBK's take on drug problems and steroids and Montreal AFTER reading Bret's take on it - Bret called him a drug addict, which HBK admits to, but I'm pretty sure Bret accused him of being into steroids, which Shawn says he may have "accidentally" taken with his other drugs since the boys in the back did them. Jericho is really good on this DVD too, not sure if it's because he was not contracted at the time so he could be more honest (talking about how awful the HBK/God vs Shane/Vince match was) or not, but get this man more interviews (where relevant) in future DVDs. The story about Shawn's "poop brown pants and awful bobcut hair" at Survivor Series 2002 is hilarious.

These are the top selling wrestling dvds for 2007 according to Billboard. Out of their Top 20 list for best-selling sports dvds, 17 were WWE releases.

1. WrestleMania 23

3. The Ladder Match

4. The New & Improved! D-X

6. Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen

7. Hulk Hogan - The Ultimate Anthology

8. The History of the WWE Championship

10. Royal Rumble 2007

11. Born to Controversy: The Roddy Piper Story

12. Survivor Series 2006

14. The Spectacular Legacy of The AWA

16. Armageddon 2006

17. WrestleMania 22

19. ECW Extreme Rules

20. WrestleMania 21

It's too early to chart for the above list but Cena's dvd has sold almost 40,000 copies so far, while HBK's has sold almost 27,000 followed by Rey's set at 24,000.

Guest Wisdom
The WWE.com description for Austin's DVD:

A career-spanning retrospective of the Rattlesnake that highlights Austin’s amazing career and his legendary rivalries with Bret Hart, The Rock, Mick Foley, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Kane, Scott Hall, Eddie Guerrero and more. Stone Cold Steve Austin’s Life and Legacy will also include footage and matches from WCW, ECW, and his Smokey Mountain days.

Austin never wrestled in SMW and I don't think WWE has rights to any USWA footage, so the Smoky Mountain days thing is curious to me.

Sorry if this has been addressed in later responses, but WWF actually did an invasion sort of thing with SmW so I imagine they own (or have some rights to) some of the footage if not all.

That's right. People around these parts were posting how the dvd sucked and they didn't see any need for it to be released. If it was a good dvd or not seems to be irrelevant when the bottom line seems to be sales numbers. D-X sold TONS of merch, and some called their return a complete failure. Go figure.

Yeah I remember having those arguments last year along with similar arguments about Cena. On the net it often becomes "we don't like something so it failed", but I digress. With the Shawn, Rey, and Cena DVD sales for this year, PWI did the numbers and showed how within a few months all of those DVDs are almost at the to-date sales of the DVDs released on the same people in 2003-2004.

I was watching the 1991 Rumble last night... 3 HOURS and 5 MINUTES? Holy hell, I thought all the old Rumble shows topped out at 2.5 hours. The Mountie/Koko match cut from VHS isn't even that long but I'm not sure what else I don't remember seeing from when I last saw the 91 Rumble on VHS years ago. spman says Barbarian / Bossman was also cut, but that would mean Warrior/Slaughter is match #2 on the Coliseum tape and I don't think it is. I think the VHS starts with a USA chant and Vince doing a 30 man rollcall while the DVD (which I have to assume is how the original PPV opened) has the national anthem followed by someone that sounds a BIT like Gene Okerlund (if his voice were severely altered via sound mixing) which I now recall someone mentioning about the original release last spring. Does anyone know if Vince's intro really was part of the original PPV and, for some reason, they don't have the rights to that Rumble theme and Vince didn't have the time to re-record 30 names? I guess I'll find out (or someone could tell me) about the theme song issue when I watch the 92 Rumble.

I don't care for (what I think are) altered Mania VI ads on the 90 Rumble. I remember the commercials having the classic early 90s Mania theme (my favourite one) followed by like, Mr. Fuji jogging and such. On the DVD, it's a generic logo with a generic song. Why not just cut it entirely?

The WWE.com description for Austin's DVD:

A career-spanning retrospective of the Rattlesnake that highlights Austin’s amazing career and his legendary rivalries with Bret Hart, The Rock, Mick Foley, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Kane, Scott Hall, Eddie Guerrero and more. Stone Cold Steve Austin’s Life and Legacy will also include footage and matches from WCW, ECW, and his Smokey Mountain days.

Austin never wrestled in SMW and I don't think WWE has rights to any USWA footage, so the Smoky Mountain days thing is curious to me.

Sorry if this has been addressed in later responses, but WWF actually did an invasion sort of thing with SmW so I imagine they own (or have some rights to) some of the footage if not all.

As I stated, Austin never wrestled in SMW. There's a possibility of rights to USWA footage depending on what was in Kevin Von Erich's library, but I'm not sure what the cutoff was for that.

Regarding the 1991 Rumble, the original PPV airing went 3 hours and 12 minutes, so it looks like they cut out the 5-minute intermission (which featured ads and promos for an upcoming European tour) and maybe a promo for WMVII ad somewhere.

Taken from Gerweck (which usually means it's from one of the pay dirt sheets about a week ago right?) -

- Here is WWE's tentative non-PPV DVD release schedule for 2008.

2/12: The Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin

3/25: Triple H: The King of Kings

5/6: Evolution of the Hardys

6/3: The Rock

7/8: Best of Starrcade

8/5: 20-disc SummerSlam Anthology

8/5: Life and Times of Mr. Perfect

11/4: Edge

11/18: RANDY SAVAGE: MACHO MADNESS

12/9: STING

Is this list legit? Macho Man and Sting late in the year?? Sting would make a helluva lot more sense if he signed on with them for a brief run. How are they going to market that otherwise?

Oaky, the list was already posted in the monthly thread. Anyways it was brought up that the Macho Man DVD could be a Warrior-esque burial job and I could see that as a real possibility.

I doubt it. Warrior was buried because he was an unprofessional shit. Savage always did his duty, and unless there is indeed some backstage shit, any disagreements have been solely about money. And if there is some unsaid baggage, I doubt they'll pick a dvd release to reveal it. No way.

Maybe it's a carrot/stick situation to get Savage to come back for the Hall of Fame. Play nice and you get a positive DVD edit, decline the invite or be an ass and you get a hatchet job. Didn't Bret have to play nice in order to get a positive edit for his DVD?

The Sting is the one that surprises me the most, espically since we were just kinda talking about it recently. I call the Sting one being a long shot.

Bret has a severe identity crisis and refused to have his name and legacy buried in that manner. I'm not sure Savage really cares in the way Bret does. They'll do a Savage DVD because it'll do good in sales.

In reality, Perfect is a more off the wall choice. He wasn't a main event star, nor does he have some really unique personaltiy that called for it (Pillman and Roberts for instance) and didn't make a largely significant impact on the business like others. He was just a talented worker that died young.

Yeah, so the Raw DVD... I can see people not liking this thing.

Frankly, I paid my $20 to own Bulldog/Owen, Kid/Hart, and Benjamin/HBK on DVD and they're there - full and unclipped (not counting a televised cuts for a commercial, and I hope this is true of Benjamin/HBK but I haven't watched Disc 3 yet) - so everything else is gravy. But Flair/Perfect and Michaels/Owen are definitely cut down - Perfect/Flair is a 10 minute chapter of what was originally a 19 minute match. The very first chapter on Disc 1 sets the stage - "First Raw" is a recycled piece of footage (a good piece of footage I will admit) from the Raw Xposed special from the 2005 Homecoming. It seemed to me several - not quite half, but a lot - of the segments on Disc 2 were PPV or "Last Week on Raw" video package recaps (Higher Power, HHH/Steph wedding, etc.). Disc 2 is certainly not the "wrestling" disc of the set.

That said, I'm enjoying the set. It's not exactly all it SOUNDED like it would be, but I'm getting what I paid for and liking it. The little pop-up notes are a nice touch and do not annoy me at all. I was really happy to see that Michaels / Jannetty is the match where Marty wins the IC title - they even refer to it TWICE as the Pro Wrestling Illustrated 1993 MOTY on the disc which I thought was pretty cool. I had never seen the match before and really liked it (ditto Kid/Bret). The clipped stuff on Disc 2 is actually stuff I can't say I was entirely interested in watching again anyway, but the stuff I DID want to see again - an unclipped version of the DX Nation skit and "This is Your Life" - get full treatment. Actually "This Is Your Life" cuts off when Rock calls Mick a "dumb son of a bitch" for not realizing his birthday is May 2nd, but at that point it had run its course and I don't recall what else followed that. Once I heard two different Lex Luger themes, Doink's theme, and Jerry Lawler go banana over Rock saying "poontang" on TV, I was set.

In reality, Perfect is a more off the wall choice. He wasn't a main event star, nor does he have some really unique personaltiy that called for it (Pillman and Roberts for instance) and didn't make a largely significant impact on the business like others. He was just a talented worker that died young.

Really? Perfect could have always been a main eventer, he was never pushed high enough as one. As far as the unique personality goes....have you've never seen Curt Henning work? His gimmick and everything was so great about him. He was honestly one of the greatest heels and in-ring wrestlers during his time. Jus because no one pushed him to the main event status he should have been in for years doesn't mean a dvd that highlights his career is off the wall.

Henning was one of the most underrated and underused wrestlers there was in Pro Wrestling, period.

Damn, I forgot how funny the original Rock Concert was. The heat Rock gets for the lyric "but I'm gonna be back when the Lakers beat the Kings in May" is one of the loudest/greatest cheap heat reactions ever.

Taken from Gerweck (which usually means it's from one of the pay dirt sheets about a week ago right?) -

Is this list legit? Macho Man and Sting late in the year?? Sting would make a helluva lot more sense if he signed on with them for a brief run. How are they going to market that otherwise?

It's about time for an Edge DVD, though. (also a Jericho one too) I don't think this list is true though, because there's no mention of the Batista or Lashley DVD they may release next year.

It's about time for an Edge DVD, though. (also a Jericho one too) I don't think this list is true though, because there's no mention of the Batista or Lashley DVD they may release next year.

Speaking of an Edge DVD, would they even be able to show his Money in the Bank win at WrestleMania 21 after the Benoit incident? That would suck for Edge because that was a bit of a defining moment for him.

Really? Perfect could have always been a main eventer, he was never pushed high enough as one. As far as the unique personality goes....have you've never seen Curt Henning work? His gimmick and everything was so great about him. He was honestly one of the greatest heels and in-ring wrestlers during his time. Jus because no one pushed him to the main event status he should have been in for years doesn't mean a dvd that highlights his career is off the wall.

Henning was one of the most underrated and underused wrestlers there was in Pro Wrestling, period.

You missed the point. Henning was a great worker, that's not being disputed. It has nothing to do with the fact he could have been a main event act or never got pushed. It's about being truly random since you could say the same about many other people like Rick Rude, Ted Dibiase, Arn Anderson, Paul Orndorff, Owen Hart and others.

Selling a DVD on the premise of "He could have and should have been a legend, but he wasn't...because we didn't push him" isn't exactly the most enthralling concept since he didn't have the personality beyond the ring like Pillman and Roberts to augment the bio piece. They'll have people put over his athleticism, his arrogance, his work along with fun stories about him and touch on the drug abuse that lead to his death but once again, you could do that about other people in the past. I'm not against doing a Perfect DVD and I hope it's the start of releasing more and more comprehensive pieces about lesser name stars (although they have a great deal of big names to get to first, namely Andre) but let's face it, compared to the rest of the planned released according to that report, Perfect stands out.

All I want from that Edge DVD is his 2002 street fight against Eddie Guerrero.

Definitely. I'd also love to see a ton of Edge & Christian skits, but they'll probably leave that goofy stuff off.

Guest Yoouu'rree Fiiirrreed!&#
I hope an Edge DVD would include one of his two appearences as jobber Damon Striker in WCW in early '96.

against kevin sullivan and meng!!